Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Beginning of the Unfallen's Metanarrative

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 7, 2016, 3:04:45 PM

THE BEGINNING OF THE UNFALLEN METANARRATIVE

(Word Count 498)

In the beginning, a great deity planted a garden. He planted trees and created creatures. Among the trees, the Tree of Life was the most prominent. And to the creatures, the great deity gave them fruits from all the trees for food except from one tree, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. All creatures fed off the fruits from the Tree of Life, and they grew strong from eating the fruits of life. But as time progressed, some creatures became enticed by the luster of the fruit that the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil bore. They begun eating from this tree and were quickly intoxicated by knowledge from the fruit. Those who fed from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil waged war against their former brethren. This was how the Unfallen received their name because they did not eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. In due time, many creatures succumbed to eating the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. The great deity returned to visit the garden and found the garden almost overran by corrupted creatures. He uprooted the Tree of Life and allowed the Unfallen to take shelter inside the Tree of Life. 

When the Tree of Life was uprooted, the great deity gifted the Tree of Life the ability to travel through the vast jeweled black sea to plant itself wherever it pleased. Even traveling amidst the sea, the Tree of Life produced fruits for the Unfallen to eat. This was how they were nourished until the replanting. When suitable land was found, the Tree of Life replanted itself into the new land; unfortunately, the Unfallen were not able to adapt to the new land. Since the Unfallen had great affinity to the Tree of Life because they always ate its fruits, the Tree of Life conformed them to itself becoming its own saplings. This was how the Unfallen came to be what they are today. And by drawing from the strength of the land, the Tree of Life and the reborn Unfallen were able to cultivate another garden. 

Time went on and the garden increased to cover the whole land inducting the native fauna and flora into the garden. As the Unfallen aged, some resolved to imitate the Tree of Life and planted themselves into the earth. They soon budded and produced their own fruits. The native creatures would eat the fruits which also contributed in spreading seeds. As these seeds were spread across the land, new trees of life were planted and in due time, saplings sprouted forth from the ground. And these new saplings helped extend the garden. And as the Unfallen grew older, some imitated the Tree of Life and uprooted themselves and sailed across the jeweled black sea to replant themselves in new lands. They also carried young saplings on the voyage to the new lands just like how the Tree of Life carried creatures within itself.

Clarification:

The Tree of Life is looked upon as the progenitor of the Unfallen race. The Tree of Life was gifted with the ability to fly i.e. become an intergalactic ship. It is also the premier mythical hero of the Unfallen. It is not known whether this mythical hero still lives today and if it does, the location has long been forgotten. So the Tree of Life is a mythical hero that dwells in a mythical land so to speak.

The Unfallen were originally not plant life but creatures. I noticed from the art design that saplings resembled more feral and humanoid creatures.

The vast jeweled black sea represents space populated by the celestial bodies.

The new land represents a new planet.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 8, 2016, 1:10:53 AM

Its a rather intriguing choice to choose to start with the "Garden of Eden" state and combine it in a sense with the "World Tree" sort of anomaly in ES and create a story from that. In fact I was waiting for the "Eden" concept since its a rather nice low hanging fruit - see what I did, aha.

In any case, you expand beyond the concept by creating a links to a variety of ideas such as relationship with the Endless - or I assume so - as well as a reason for the Unfallen to have the personality, motivations and shape that they do. Creating a semi-mythical sort of creation story.

This is a rather well thought out story with very little mistakes - but its 2am right now and Im not really checking - and it shows that you have been paying attention to concepts between both phases; since you include a number of different ideas in your story that stem from there. 

So, very well done.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 5:46:54 AM

Thanks for reading this submission and your comment!

I enjoy myths and understand the power of metanarratives. Out of all the myths, I thought the Jewish creation myth was most applicable to the Unfallen, but there is a lot of leeway. For example, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil could easily be the progenitor of the Unfallen. Now, metanarratives determine origin and first order identity. They may also establish a first order problem, mortal enemy and a solution to the first order problem and much more. This is getting more into theology and philosophy.

With my story, I set out to envision a possible beginning from the perspective of the Unfallen to flesh out their identity some more. The main fault with this story is the exclusion of recent development of Unfallen history. But the cool thing about this story is that it sets things up nicely for other stories that may follow. For example, I was unable to demonstrate the rise of Unfallen militarism, precedence for smoking trees, and the precedence on why the Unfallen use seeds and sporelings to recruit mercenaries. I only mentioned one hero which was the Tree of Life. Really, the community could develop stories that could better flesh out these other aspects of the Unfallen history.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 10:35:24 PM

Hah, a very consistent mix of Semite, Indo-European and Endless mythologies! I've never read such a thing.

For me, there is a great mystery of flight technologies of the Tree of Life and the Unfallen. Might they produce oil or LNG out of their own organic material? Or is it an artificial technology deriving from the Endless?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 2:35:41 AM
Sotnik wrote:

Hah, a very consistent mix of Semite, Indo-European and Endless mythologies! I've never read such a thing.

For me, there is a great mystery of flight technologies of the Tree of Life and the Unfallen. Might they produce oil or LNG out of their own organic material? Or is it an artificial technology deriving from the Endless?

Thanks for the compliment. 

In answering your question, from the design docs, the Unfallen ships have solar sails so there is no reliance on fuel source for interstellar space travel. But planetary flight for Unfallen ships utilizing solar sails is an impossibility due to gravity and air resistance let alone reaching escape velocity, so an Unfallen ship must incorporate flight machinery. Also, I'm not sure how things equipped with solar sails stop in space; I don't think they can stop which will require another way of stopping the vessel.

The design doc also said that solar sails provides power for the ship. Let's say that solar sails can photosynthesize so a Unfallen ship can create glucose. The ship can use the glucose to heal itself (create more cellulose) and use the glucose as an energy source. Now when the glucose is used by the Unfallen ship (organic living being) as energy, ethanol and carbon monoxide are created as waste products. (The carbon monoxide could be metabolized by the Unfallen (sapling to ship) to produce glucose.) The ethanol could be used by simple combustible machinery or consumed for its alcohol sugars. But, for the flight system, a combination of different strains of bacteria is used to turn the ethanol into a higher density alcohol suitable for rocket fuel. And this higher density alcohol enables planetary flight for an Unfallen ship. Unfallen ships could bud and blossom thrusters. And once the Unfallen ship reaches space, the thrusters could wilt down to the planet. That's as far as I can develop this; I'm not sure what to make of the oxidizer. 

I want to add something. When an Unfallen fleet embark on a journey through space, I think they should utilize planets to sling shot themselves which may offset the initial slow start from the solar sails. I also envision that the utilization of high density alcohol combustion consumes great deal of energy for the Unfallen ship so it might be preferable to use combustion for planetary flight and the initial planetary sling shot.

For the flight technology for the Tree of Life, let's just say that a little (pixie) dust could go a long way.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 3:00:00 AM

In the realm of space-magic and Endless, a realm of cyborg living trees in which their ships are powered by "solar sails"; take it as you will if its just sails or a combination of sails and small engines or if there is some sort of solar wind emanating from stars.

Such rational thoughts... its impressive you have thought it out so intricately. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 3:51:52 AM
Digitalhawk96 wrote:

In the realm of space-magic and Endless, a realm of cyborg living trees in which their ships are powered by "solar sails"; take it as you will if its just sails or a combination of sails and small engines or if there is some sort of solar wind emanating from stars.

Such rational thoughts... its impressive you have thought it out so intricately. 

Thanks for your comment Digitalhawk96. It helps me see that I may be limiting myself by my realism when using my imagination for this work of fiction.

I suppose I could imagine that the solar sails taking full use of the solar currents to travel in space while planetary travel makes use of machinery i.e. thrusters. When I include solar currents, the reference comes from ocean currents. Just like ocean currents, solar currents are continuous. Since the Unfallen are equipped with solar sails, they could take advantage of these solar currents which no other race can take advantage of.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 11:50:45 PM

In answering your question, from the design docs, the Unfallen ships have solar sails so there is no reliance on fuel source for interstellar space travel. But planetary flight for Unfallen ships utilizing solar sails is an impossibility due to gravity and air resistance let alone reaching escape velocity, so an Unfallen ship must incorporate flight machinery. Also, I'm not sure how things equipped with solar sails stop in space; I don't think they can stop which will require another way of stopping the vessel...

It is really pity that short format of text does not allow to explain such details of Unfallen civilization. Meanwhile I decided to partake too, but my Unfallen use methane  . BTW, thanks to your nice formatting I noticed all these wonderful format buttons :).

And to supplement to the conversation, there is also an option of helium (hydrogen?) baloon. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 16, 2016, 8:07:18 PM
Sotnik wrote:

It is really pity that short format of text does not allow to explain such details of Unfallen civilization. Meanwhile I decided to partake too, but my Unfallen use methane  . BTW, thanks to your nice formatting I noticed all these wonderful format buttons :).

And to supplement to the conversation, there is also an option of helium (hydrogen?) baloon. 

The 500 words limit is an ingenious limit that forces writes to be concise yet creative all the while focusing on the theme. The formating options in the toolbar is quite helpful.

Cows naturally bleches methane and methane is a very abundant gas. Under the right conditions, due to pressure and heating, methane can turn into crude oil/petroleum or natural gas. But I was reading some things to give me a better idea of methane use as rocket fuel. It seems methane is a better alternative to even hydrogen and RP1 (highly refined kerosene). An end product of methane is kerosene. Methane requires less energy to keep liquidfied, no choke and stores better in outer space.

Source: http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3161/why-is-spacex-considering-methane-as-fuel-for-their-next-engine-the-raptor

I could see the Unfallen producing methane which means the Unfallen ships might be equipped with an organic methanogenesis system. A base is needed for bacteria to thrive in and exhale methane. This methane is then collected and stored by the ship. Since the ship could produce glucose, the glucose can be turned into cellulose. In the methanogenesis system, it naturally produces cellulose for the purpose of creating methane. The ships could incorporate a cooling machine that could liquefy the methane and keep it liquid. Just a thought.

All this realism makes the Unfallen ships more complex.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 17, 2016, 8:38:40 AM

From a more pragmatical point of view, this seems to me the same type of narrative presentation the developers used for the Cravers (description of the creation of the specie, of its goal, more than of a particular individual) : it is interesting, because it shows that their society very collectivist (so presenting their past is more important than their future) and draws an interesting parallel between the Unfallen and the Cravers.

The problem is that the rules clearly say it is necessary to present an important figure of the Unfallen in this submission : maybe you should show how the narrator reacts to question from saplings around it, how this legend shaped the Unfallen society etc

I understand that we are two days before the deadline, that you already have 500 words in your submission, but I fear that your submission couldn't make it to the second phase, and it would sadden me after all this feedback you had.

I wish you good luck.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 18, 2016, 7:08:13 PM
Hinin wrote:

From a more pragmatical point of view, this seems to me the same type of narrative presentation the developers used for the Cravers (description of the creation of the specie, of its goal, more than of a particular individual) : it is interesting, because it shows that their society very collectivist (so presenting their past is more important than their future) and draws an interesting parallel between the Unfallen and the Cravers.

The problem is that the rules clearly say it is necessary to present an important figure of the Unfallen in this submission : maybe you should show how the narrator reacts to question from saplings around it, how this legend shaped the Unfallen society etc

I understand that we are two days before the deadline, that you already have 500 words in your submission, but I fear that your submission couldn't make it to the second phase, and it would sadden me after all this feedback you had.

I wish you good luck.

Thank you. I was working on an alternative but alas, there is not enough time. Fortunately, there are other great narratives out there that would better serve the Unfallen.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 19, 2016, 5:57:57 PM
segua wrote:
Under the right conditions, due to pressure and heating, methane can turn into crude oil/petroleum or natural gas. But I was reading some things to give me a better idea of methane use as rocket fuel. It seems methane is a better alternative to even hydrogen and RP1 (highly refined kerosene). An end product of methane is kerosene. Methane requires less energy to keep liquidfied, no choke and stores better in outer space.

Actually, natural gas consists mainly of methan. And yes, it is now used as a rocket fuel in a liquefied form. It is an organic product so Unfallen might produce it in theory, but there is another justification for connecting them with methan: it is an a nature-friendly substance which is transformed into water and CO2 upon burning. And the plants love both of them :). 

Moreover, cellulose tissue of plants allows them to sustain high pressure inside their cells or organs while Unfallen ability to travel in space hints that they are capable to develop resistance to cold temperatures. Altogether, these two features makes me think that Unfallen can accumulate energy in a form of liquified and compressed natural gas.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment