Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Dieties

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 7:18:03 PM

FINALE EDIT

The Old One was born in a time eternally separated, wrought long before the age of dust and fire. From the rich soil of Bodghaya, He grew, and upon Bodghaya He remained. Blessed by the nutrients of our homeworld, He, Our Father, meditated for eons on the ways of the universe, on the cycles that bind life and all its creations, and through these meditations, achieved eternal peace. Today, Our Father is a monument of pilgrimage for every Unfallen who has ascended the soil. The sight of his trunk extending beyond the atmosphere, cradling Bodghaya's moon like a precious pearl humbles even the most lustful of our soul-bound kin. Countless still sing the ancient hymnal at His roots, growing together, their trunks as one, thousands of soul-rings spent fused in endless adoration. But, today, a foreign wind rustles our branches. Once again the young ones claw towards the memory of dust. Whispers of the coming storm furrow the leaves of our new seed, muffling our father's song. Cut from His guidance, the oldest among us reminisce upon scorched rings of the past, as well as the old growths. Opinions breed paths, and over many centuries, three were planted. Mirroring the distant memories of peace and prosperity, many have gone to spread their nutrition beneath Anicca's shade, swallowing the risk to honor their path of impermanence. However others still recall the burns of the past: Dukkha, the first to break his roots, teaches those around his scarred trunk to be our father's shield against these invasive species. It is fear that will guide their crusade. Furthermore, many still stand behind the middle way, channeling our Father's greatest teaching. Anatta, His first pupil, readies on Bhodgaya, professing his mentor's humble teachings. Many settle themselves to listen as others leave to follow Anicca or Dukkha, stirring our home in a blaze of renewal, and as the soil stirs, the race begins. Centuries of quiet dispute have come to an end. With the return of dust, the time for silence has ended. What path will this great people take? Will good seed be enough, or must they fight for dominance? Much remains undetermined, but nevertheless, I, The Old One, the Unfallen, must grow close to the stars again. Today, the great cycle begins anew, and today, I will lead this people.  

END

This intro is read by the hive mind, who in times of strife becomes an entity that overrides individual will, working as a democratic core for the Unfallen; a biological AI with direct connection to its people, and ultimately their leader(Female?). Anicca(impermanant) Dukkha(filled with suffering) and Anatta(beyond the individual) are the three characteristics of existence in Buddhism. Bodh Gaya is a pilgrimage site of utmost importance in Buddhism. This is where the Buddha is said to have obtained enlightenment. The first Unfallen(Father) was most likely engineered by another race before the Endless rose in the galaxy. Subject to change depending on what's decided lore-wise of course. 

Thanks for your time! 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 8:11:10 PM

I love your imagery and agree with you that Buddhist theme fits the Unfallen well. It was fun a fun read, and I like how you defined age as "soul-rings".

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 8:35:18 PM

Thank you! Yeah I thought it fit pretty well. Kinda just clicked when I thought of it. I've been editing it a bit throughout the day, though I think I'm done now. Gunna sit back and wait for responses now. 

Also ignore the game mechanics at the end of the second paragraph, that was more for part one I guess, though I think it could be a cool idea~

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 5:32:48 AM

I like your world tree concept. I envisioned that for every planet that the Unfallen colonizes, there is a "world tree" or the progenitor of the Unfallen for that world. How big each world tree should be? I'm not sure.

Your imagery is wonderful. I could imagine a gigantic tree with forest below it. Other creatures would come or perhaps only the Unfallen surrounding the base adores him. 

I would agree that seniority among the Unfallen is respected which is foreign to the respect for achievement found in the US middle class. I'm not sure if the same holds true for other middle class in other nations.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 4:06:37 PM

That's a cool idea segua! I'd imagine the trees on other worlds would be large, but not nearly to the scale of the one described in my introduction, it being their homeworld after all. I also like the idea of creatures coming to the base of the tree, perhaps not for worship, but just to live off of the lush vegetation there. The Unfallen I'd imagine would have a natural affinity with both the flora and fauna of their worlds.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 8:03:48 PM
Asneakyfatcat wrote:

That's a cool idea segua! I'd imagine the trees on other worlds would be large, but not nearly to the scale of the one described in my introduction, it being their homeworld after all. I also like the idea of creatures coming to the base of the tree, perhaps not for worship, but just to live off of the lush vegetation there. The Unfallen I'd imagine would have a natural affinity with both the flora and fauna of their worlds.

From the phases, the Unfallen are pacifists and use seeds and food to hire mercenaries. I imagine this is also how they befriend the fauna. With the flora, I like to think that the Unfallen root system forms an large interpersonal network with all plant life and even fungi. I'm thinking about the forest in Avatar. But overall, I do see them having a natural affinity with the local flora and fauna of their worlds.

I was also thinking how some world trees also are springs of water. I recall that trees can pump water up their trunks so I imagine that on certain worlds, some Unfallen elders also provide a steady flow of water from the aquafier. The reason why I can imagine that is because I think the Unfallen cares about their environment and natural habitats of other creations. So wherever there are Unfallen, a lush habitat thrives.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 1:53:11 PM

Anyone got anymore ideas for what I should change? There's still a long while before the deadline, but I'd like to get some feedback sooner rather than later. I'll probably get rid of the second paragraph and just have the first be the race introduction. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 2:47:51 PM

I was thinking you could accentuate more from Buddhism such as mentioning suffering and the Unfallen resolution to suffering. Maybe flesh out more of the idea of reincarnation from an Unfallen perspective. I know it might be hard to fit these in at 500 words top.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 18, 2016, 4:34:42 PM

Alright it's been edited!!! (this counts as my one bump right??) 

I've cleaned it up a bit and changed some words around to make everything a bit more clear. I didn't go too far into the spirituality of the Unfallen, as I was more interested in determining how their politics would work in a very spiritual species that's currently under a lot of stress. Most of their spirituality could be based around Buddhism, minus their god-like adoration for their Father.

Let me know what you guys think, and thank you to anyone who reads it! Good luck and have fun everyone!!! 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 19, 2016, 12:37:02 PM

An enjoyable submission, I like the buddhist flair too. I would have maybe aired the text up a little bit more with spacing, if anything.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 19, 2016, 5:46:58 PM

Frogsquadron Ah if only I had checked a bit earlier xD Unfortunately university took priority this morning. It is basically a big chunk of text isn't it.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment