Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

On the verge

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 8:56:38 PM

There is no “We”, there is only “I”. My countless arms move according to my wish. My myriad of eyes see the whole known world. Even the just grown saplings are wedded to the organic whole of shared consciousness and perceive my knowledge — the knowledge of eons.

Each Unfallen is me, and each Unfallen is just an instrument. I’m in mind of each one I have. I'm both everywhere and nowhere, simultaneously. I have no thinking centers that can be destroyed by enemies, and I don't rely on one instrument more than others. I lose nothing if any of my bodies dies…

But others don’t understand the true nature of this existence; they couldn't even wish it for themselves. They don’t realize that shared consciousness is not the collective thought of individuals. Rather, consciousness is how you see the world, and how you see yourself in the world, but in very minute details. It’s in each nugget of information, and the ways to interpret them, and react on them. It’s the ability to think. Can you just imagine the turmoil in the mind of just one creature? Now multiply it by a thousand, billion times. See? There is no room even for two people in one mind. There is no “We”, as I said.

And this is wrong. I have an enormous amount of data to process, but I have very limited ways to perceive it. For other races, solutions may be found with far less information — and they succeed for their part; though they miss the opportunity to utilize all available information, because they do not think correctly. I try. I try to imagine even the most opposite ways to contemplate problems. But there are limitations. It’s the same as playing a logic game against yourself: you can’t conceal your strategy and fool your opponent, you can’t take him by surprise. I’m sure I've miss things, being single-minded as I am…

But I know how to fix this weakness.

On the verge of this new evolutionary step, when Unfallen go in space, I have to change. I must grow new saplings that will be severed from… me. They will have their own personalities. They will have their own unique experience, unique ways to see problems and approaches to solve them. They will be ready to face the new problems of our future. And to give them space, I must die. When the time will come, all Unfallen that are not a "New One", will sacrifice themselves. Whole galaxy will sink in my spores, and such concentration of psychotropic fog will change them, not for days, but forever. The new world will be peaceful — and it will be for New Unfallen.

That is, until new enemies arrive… but then there will not be “I”, but “We”. And “We” will find the way.

[Many thanks to carolean7 for editing "my English"!]

Few thoughts.

Strange how I didn't pay enough attention to DevildogFF’s short note about shared consciousness, because in my understanding of term it should dramatically affect gameplay. Like, no political parties, senate, heroes; increased role of distance between planets... But since all that stuff should be still available for Unfallen, let's try to explain some inconsistencies:

1. What is the nature of Unfallen Heroes if all Unfallen are equal parts of one entity? Their existence is conscious emulation of other races segregation - to understand how it works. Without it, all Unfallen have the same full access to faction knowledge and wisdom, and saplings work harder only because of their bodies flexibility that decreases with age.
  2. What is the nature of different political parties, planets’ ideologies etc if all Unfallen are parts of one personality? It’s reflection of thinking: like if person tries to find mistakes in its statement, “attacking” it from different points of view. It can be seen from side similarly to how human moves his lips while deep in thought.
  3. How it's possible to have one mind for numerous bodies widespread throughout the galaxy? Is there a signal delay? I can refer to Orson Scott Card's books about Ender Wiggin, where buggers' queens can speak through space no matter how big distance is.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 2:11:08 PM

Cool story. I enjoy the inner monologue you present of the shared-consciousness Unfallen. I took a very different route in interpreting this trait, but I like the direction you took it. The English is great for a second langue speaker, but could use some tightening up. I can't even imagine trying to write a complex story in another language, so well done! Send me a personal message if you want help with it though. Keep it up!   

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 12, 2016, 3:49:48 PM

Definitely an interesting approach to the Unfallen. Its tough trying to be creative when working in the confines of other people's creations but you've come up with something interesting here. Good job!

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 13, 2016, 9:38:13 PM

Thanks for kind words. And many thanks to carolean7 for editing "my English"! You are awesome

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 14, 2016, 3:21:09 PM

Your story of a united mind and the realization of allowing independent minds elsewhere was great. It must be a very sad realization that an entirely new generation and an entirely new philosophy must come to ensure the survival of the race. The great singular Unfallen is willing to relinquish itself even creating an event that sets a precedence for "smoking the tree" trait.

For a non-delay communication, I think of gravatic communication i.e. utilizing gravitational waves or strong electro-magnetic waves to communicate through space. And even planetary bodies, because of their gravity could be utilized as a communication medium; of course I have to double check that bit of information.

For my envisioning of the Unfallen, I find organic planetary to galactic communication impossible without the aid of technology. Now I did envision a giant Unfallen that serves the role as planetary communicator. This giant Unfallen extends an antennae into outer space and at the top, an organic satellite dish flowers. And just like real flowers, the dish blooms to communicate and can close to protect the sensitive equipment. I was also thinking that the dish could release spores that rides the solar winds but that's just a wonky concept. Maybe as a last ditch effort, the utilization solar spore communication as a rescue signal makes more sense.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 15, 2016, 5:16:36 PM
segua wrote:

For my envisioning of the Unfallen, I find organic planetary to galactic communication impossible without the aid of technology. Now I did envision a giant Unfallen that serves the role as planetary communicator. This giant Unfallen extends an antennae into outer space and at the top, an organic satellite dish flowers. And just like real flowers, the dish blooms to communicate and can close to protect the sensitive equipment. I was also thinking that the dish could release spores that rides the solar winds but that's just a wonky concept. Maybe as a last ditch effort, the utilization solar spore communication as a rescue signal makes more sense.

Yep, if I used my current approach during Phase 1, I'd rather create trouble of sending messages between planets. Signal delay could be an explanation of different level of happiness and political mood for each planet. And as for Piligrims with their "portals", Unfallen would need to build something to send messages from "master mind" to distant planets.

But since such troubles aren't in Faction affinities so far, connection has to be instant

0Send private message
Comment