He awoke from his slumber to a slight tingling in his mind. This was becoming an all too familiar sensation. It was the feeling of a new world becoming sentient and making contact. This however had a very different flavour than what he was used to. ‘I must bring this to the elders no doubt they know but I have to make sure’ Tapio thought to himself. He pulled his essence in and entered the shared consciousness of his people searching for the most ancient of the Unfallen. 

Probing slightly to make them aware of his presence he bowed mentally awaiting an audience. ‘Yes my child, you have something you wish to share’ one of the elders greeted him. ‘I have felt the presence of a new world awakening but it is unlike anything we have felt before the power of this is immense’ he said in answer. ‘This is most troubling the council have felt nothing, may we enter and see for ourselves’. Tapio indicated his acceptance of their proposal. The venerable mind entered his own brushing past everything searching for the link to this anomaly. 

Tapio eyes shot open being jerked back into his own body. ‘This is most worrying I must go to them’ he said aloud as he unfurled his massive limbs and began walking to the worlds central hope. While he was yet a sapling his size was impressive already and so he made his way quickly to the elder’s chambers. Upon entering he nearly collapsed on the floor in shock. His connection to the hive mind was reforming and there was nothing but pure unadulterated grief pouring through, Viridios was nothing but a burnt out shell. He walked before the elders unbelieving his eyes ‘what has happened’ he said aloud in utter disbelief. ‘Viridios has died, he followed the link in your mind and sought contact. This’ the elder gestured towards the body ‘was the result’. ‘This cannot be’ he said falling on his knees. ‘All is not lost my child he serves us now as he did in life’.

Tapio entered the hive and added his grief and guilt to the massive stream from all of the unfallen. After a full turning of the planet as was custom for the passing of one of their own he opened his eyes to all the remaining elders watching him. ‘What can I do?’ ‘There is nothing to make up for, your guilt is unwarranted young one. However, you seem immune to the effects of this new presence’ the elder mused. ‘We cannot allow this to threaten our very purpose and so you have been chosen to make sure that his does not happen to our kind again’. Tapio stood shakily ‘I understand elder I will do what must be done for one and all’.

Wholly edited I hope apologies for typos. Feedback is most appreciated hope it makes for a nice read.