Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Collective; The Salve for the Universe.

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 17, 2016, 5:02:23 PM

The winds of change are in the air once more. The world seems quieter in light of the times ahead; each Unfallen preparing for the duties they must perform for the Collective in the coming nights. After many seasons, our people are finally ready to begin our journey and anticipation hangs thick in the air. Never before have we attempted to leave our Mother, the planet that has been our home since the First Cycle of our ancestors, and there are those among us who are afraid. But the Druids, the eldest of our people, are in agreement. The times of the Endless have passed, and their influence in the sky above the sky has all but gone. Now it is the duty of our people to heal and preserve the worlds that survived the Endless' touch.

I shall be the herald of my people on this journey. I shall be the one to lead our stalwart and protective hand to the lush and lively worlds hidden amongst the stars and the universe shall once more feel revitalised as life is brought back as nature intends, as opposed to the sick and ghastly imitations the Endless themselves created. However,  I have lived long enough to know that this is not just out of the kindness of our hearts or the need to feel connected to the worlds beyond. Our mistakes when we were a young, rash and selfish race have left their marks. Through war, we cracked the ground, spread disease and all the world felt the great loss, for nought. The worlds out in the great beyond offer us a new start. A place to earn forgiveness for our mistakes, for we must never forget, lest we invite the possibility of history repeating itself. A very real threat that one as old as I know to happen far too often. To this end, we take pieces of the worlds we heal with us to the stars, a symbol of our expanding vitality and reminder of our purpose. There are some who fear that there are others out there who would recreate the scale of devastation the Endless brought to so many worlds. For the sake of all life, I have no choice but to remain determined this is not possible.

We, the Unfallen, are the preservers of life that the worlds deserve after such stressing times. Our people assemble even now to form the pods which shall carry us, life in its truest form, to defend the life of all planets. We shall expand the Collective to the furthest reaches and take all who wish to grow and to protect under our canopies, and those who seek to whittle and destroy, shall be persuaded otherwise or removed. No flora or fauna shall wilt under our tender care and the worlds shall prosper underneath us as we do. The time for destruction has ended. The time to heal and grow begins now.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 18, 2016, 6:30:29 AM
Thank you for reading my work. Sadly, this is the first time I have attempted to create something like this, but I am a big fan of the Endless universe and as I am studying Computer Game Design and Production at university (which includes narrative work that I enjoy very much) I got very excited at the opportunity for it to be seen by others. The 500 word limit was a bit of a struggle and as such, I feel like I may have left certain sections unclear, but I wanted to get the feel for the faction included within the premise of their story, rather than an informative and bare-boned narrative. In light of this, I feel like there are some things I should clarify:

The Collective is the idea that I had behind the governing body of the Unfallen.  A sort of group consciousness, not necessarily able to communicate with one another from anywhere, but able to sense the existence of plant life, directly derived from their "They're In The Trees!" faction trait. 

The story is designed to hint at a hero who plans to lead the people towards the end goal of what could be their main quest; to colonise and defend plant-rich worlds, which could involve requiring a certain amount of arboreal planets with sufficient man power and/or fleet strength defending them at all times. He would be seen as a guardian for the Unfallen and everything they stand for.

Their nemesis would be any minor races that were created under the influence of the Endless, including any Major factions that were directly acquainted with them (as such, races like the Vodyani would be acceptable, but the Cravers would be disagreeable).

The faction is naturally against war, as we all know, but with the fear that some within the faction have is that there are other races out there that may actively seek it. As such, some are scared or over protective of the other races and if war came upon the faction, the Militarists would quickly take control of the senate, which would go against everything they believe in.

I eagerly await any feedback and look forward to participating more in such events in the near future!

0Send private message
Comment