Long before the din, we lived. Sheltered in the nebulae, and guarded by the rock, we were at peace, exploring the unseen and unheard. The beauty of nothing was ours to enjoy- but then the din came, and broke our silence.

On rumbling stones, they spread across the galaxy, infecting it with their babble- disturbing it with their life. They sent waves of sound to crush us, and beams of light to puncture us! We retreated from the space between their worlds, only for the diesease to spread past us once more.

The din only grew- babble became screams, and rumbling became great storms of fire. many were lost, but when all grew still, the din were no more! the noise was gone, and we celebrated, unheard once again.

But now the din have returned- and we are too few to weather them again. To survive, we must act.

We will go to the bright places of the galaxy, and fill their space! Disturb their thoughts! We shall study their minds as we studied the cosmos-

And when the time is right...one way or another, the sound. will. stop.

---

Hope you like the idea- I know 'The Silence' is a bit cliche, but I think it works for what I assume would be a gaseous, space inhabiting race.

The key thing to consider about their gaseuous form is that sound can reverberate through it (even in space! Though just to the touch I think..) which for people not used to that sort of thing, would probably feel pretty bad.

If it's confusing, the 1st Din would be the Endless Civilization, ending with the Dust Wars. The 2nd Din is the return of mass spacefaring society in the present.

Mechanically, such a backstory explains why such an ancient race only has one planet/needs to develop and build so much.

I really hope I can edit this as some point, but hopefully it's good enough if I can't.

Please consider me as your choice!

--- Update 28/04/18 ---

Hello all! Just an update based on some feedback I got in a private message. It's been brought to my attention that my lore-blurb comes off as aggressive (and you know...evil), and while that definitely works- it's a bit of a cliche coming from the espionage faction.

I completely understand wanting less evil factions. Heck! When I play as the Cravers, I roleplay that the Hive has calculated that long-termp peace produces more food than war- despite how much their nature tempts them (Way off, I know- but it works for me).

I didn't imagine The Silence conquering the galaxy and killing everyone to 'quiet things down'. Instead, I like to think of them as aliens attempting first contact with creatures they are incompatible with- leading to unintentional violence. My interpretation of these creatures are telepaths, and what's merely a kind greeting to a telepath, could easily be seen as mind reading and espionage of the highest level- 'An invisible invasion', as the warhawks in the senate would describe it.

That leaves the Silence (And their leader, whoever that may be) at a crossroads. Do you conform to a universe that's changed without you, or do you attempt to force it back to its primordial state? You have the cunning to acheive either, so the choice is up to you.

---