Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

SN 1054

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 5:46:38 AM

Alternate variations: I played around with "Anomaly SN 1054" and "SN 1054 Anomaly", but I personally felt that it didn't really fit as well. Of course, if you guys prefer it, just say so!

When one first thinks of an ancient organization in a science fiction franchise, what often comes to mind is the commonly used precursor race - in this case, the Endless. However, there comes a problem when a new "ancient and mysterious" entity is introduced - why are they not more prominent? Why are, say, the expansionist Endless, the godlike Lost, or the force of nature that is the Harmony remembered, while this new force dwells in anonymity?

There are several ways of handling such an issue, but one in particular stood out to me: the reason they are not already known is because no one actually knows about them - including those races that are as ancient as they. The name should reflect this: while it is possible to give them a name that will make them seem very mighty and mysterious, to do so would also imply to some extent that someone knows enough about them to give them such a name (and, to be frank, I feel as though it is a bit overdone). Rather, a much more interesting and distinctive way of labeling them would be the absence of a proper name - to have the only real outside reference of them be an old, catalogued astrological event. This name - "SN 1054"  - would be a footprint of their actions misinterpreted as some ancient astrological event that quickly became buried and forgotten by their old contemporaries under new scientific discoveries - something that this reclusive species does not seek to correct.

While I could have chosen any string of letters to make an astronomical name, I specifically chose SN 1054 because of its effect on real world astronomy. Simply put, SN 1054 was a real supernova that was observed in 1054 AD by many cultures around the globe, and produced both the Crab Nebula and Crab Pulsar. The former of these two would later be viewed by Charles Messier in 1758 and confused for Hailey's Comet, as he did not actually know of the existence of the Crab Nebula prior. Upon learning of this mistake, he created the Messier Catalogue (a published set of 110 astronomical objects that resembled comets, but were not comets themselves) in order to avoid such confusion in the future, with SN 1054 being dubbed M1 - the first Messier object.

Though it is true that many older and more obscure supernovas exist, the history of SN 1054 is one of confusion and poor understanding. It was not until several hundreds of years after the supernova's occurence that anyone truly understood what it was, and its legacy - the Crab Nebula - was further misconstrued and mislabeled as something it was not. It is for this reason that I chose SN 1054 - not only does its unorthodox naming scheme immediately set it apart from other factions, but anyone who has knowledge of what it is named after will have a deeper understanding of the faction and what it is thematically. Such an idea is not foreign to this franchise; in fact, Amplitude did much the same thing themselves in Endless Legend with the Morgawr, as the name is derived from a sea serpent of Cornish myth!

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 5:51:16 AM

A bit of a mistake that I noticed just after proofreading, the Crab Nebula is catalogued as M1, not SN 1054 itself!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 6:04:50 AM

Hmm, what if they were first discovered by an automated Endless probe or something like that, and were misfiled for a long time (perhaps because the Endless civil war happened?) and have only recently re-discovered?

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 1, 2018, 8:26:57 PM
Carriontrooper wrote:

Hmm, what if they were first discovered by an automated Endless probe or something like that, and were misfiled for a long time (perhaps because the Endless civil war happened?) and have only recently re-discovered?

Thanks for the interest (and sorry for the belated response)! A scenario like that is along the lines of what I was going for, but ultimately it's up to Amplitude to decide stuff like that, so I haven't personally put much thought into the specifics myself. The only thing I personally would change in your idea is that I prefer it to be an actual person who misfiled them, rather than a probe, as the latter may impy that an actual person would not make the error depending on how it is written.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 2, 2018, 9:50:36 PM

In addition to the astrological significance detailed, I'm definitely getting a SCP-style vibe from the name, which I think fits the concept quite well. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but I like it.

0Send private message
Comment