Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Eidolon

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 3:27:19 PM

More precisely, Eidolon means "shape", and by extension, "phantom", "thought", "image", "statue" - anything that needs to be formed as a shape because it didn't have a material shape/manifestation.

The good thing about a name like this is that it's quite descriptive, simple, efficient, elegant (dead languages for the win!). It also feels old (but maybe not ancient).

The bad thing is that it doesn't feel very alien.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 9, 2018, 8:56:54 AM
IcePick wrote:

Strong association with Warframe... https://www.warframe.com/news/shrine-of-the-eidolon-update

Seems popular name.

It was the main feature from Warframe's large update last summer which was pretty well received; having played warframe myself, I immediately thought this was a direct shoutout to it. Even if the name is fair use it'll always pull my attention away from ES2 to another great game.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 4:26:19 AM

It is somewhat used but not oversaturated, The meaning of the word is also used differently in this context than in any other media I have seen unlike some other popular names.

Unique even if familiar!

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 2:57:33 AM

Strong association with Warframe... https://www.warframe.com/news/shrine-of-the-eidolon-update

Seems popular name.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 8, 2018, 2:53:44 AM

Posted my own Eidolon submission before doing a thorough search, hope this one takes the win though!

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 7, 2018, 5:52:26 AM

Put this name on the first page! Not to be lost in a odd system of last come first serve!

Anywho, does anyone else want this faction to not be directly involved with the Endless? I understand it is Endless Space here but to have every little detail chosen by the Endless makes the universe feel more limited to me personally...

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 4, 2018, 10:45:29 AM

Yeah, it's a word with a very broad meaning. It can be a manifestation of something concrete or abstract. It is a phantom, a thought, an image, a statue, an embodiment, an apparition, etc. It is a lot of things. And I think they all fit the theme well enough.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 9:31:42 PM

But... if Eidolon looks human... shoulden't the name change because the form we are waiting for is... alien?

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 9:27:09 PM

Eidolon was a common term and device in ancient Greek literature. It is used in a lot of things, and it is very old. Nothing to copyright here.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 9:21:50 PM

I think i've saw this name on FFXIII or something... i believe the Final Fantasy Series use this name , Eidolon, a lot to refer to spirites or something. i even saw a lot of references to these names when they refered to spirits but... is it a good idea to name a major faction a name that can feel like "stolen" from another game? xD

Eidolon in final fantasy 13 is a reference to some sort of spirit that aids the main characters in their travels. I still wonder if it is a good idea to name a major faction after something that might remember this...

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 3, 2018, 7:37:29 AM

Ah shoot, I made a quick scan of the list but I didn't see this before posting my own! Well yes I am upvoting this then haha....

If no one minds I will just insert my though ramblings I had in my post.

"What we know is that they are wraith like incorporeal beings who spy right? What if they aren't "real" as in by all definitions they should not exist?

Impossible echoes of a people who are before the Endless, unseen by the Endless because for all purposes they did not exist to the Endless. I would like to think the Endless would be afraid of this unknown and instead attribute their phenonmenon activities to other forces. Think of these beings as having an extremly haunting presence, those who are before them cannot understand what they are and their senses will say there is something there, but their logical mind would argue.

Think of those shadows that skirt in the corner of your eye when you are lost and alone. That sound of no origin. You see these effects but perhaps your brain cannot understand where they come from even if they are before you so you shrug it off as paranoia."

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
May 2, 2018, 4:25:40 PM

Do like this one the most, and actually for the reason that Ezumiyr a "bad thing" I think this name fits very well into the game and I feel like I could jump online and say "I am gonna play as The Eidolon"  quite easily.  Again, it is indeed elegant.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 30, 2018, 10:08:27 AM

Great name ! Secretive and ancient. About the fact that it is not alien enough, I would like to point out that every main endless space species names come form human language words: cravers (eng),sophon (greek),lumeris(french),even vodyani (hungarian or russian i don't remember)...

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 27, 2018, 12:42:21 PM

I'm seeing a lot of pros and only one con.

It's as alien as the sophons. Really the same Greek trend.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Apr 26, 2018, 12:19:46 PM

If I may pull a line from Wikipedia:

Eidolon
In ancient Greek literature, an eidolon is the spirit-image of a living or dead person; it is a shade or phantom look-alike of the human form.

0Send private message
0Send private message
Comment