Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

The Cogitars

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
May 9, 2018, 11:57:51 PM

"Cogito ergo sum" - "I think, therefore I am"

If you doubt everything, including your own existence, how can you begin to prove any part of your reality? Descartes began with the idea of the cogito.

A rough summary would be that: thoughts are actually a basic proof of your existence. You can doubt everything in your reality: all senses, memories, people, etc., but the one fact that can never be destroyed is the fact you are constantly full of thoughts. If you make the claim to yourself: "I am not real" you actually end up immediately proving the opposite. In the act of trying to doubt your existence, you are forced to think, and with the creation of thought, you actually know you do exist on some level. TL;DR you can know you really exist thanks to a permanent consciousness.

For an ancient, non-corporeal race, is it necessary to point out how important their minds would be to them? If evolution gave them nothing else but consciousness, their minds would be their one, true strength. If you have no physical form, what are you left with? What else besides their minds can define this race's existence? Also, if their gameplay focus is intel, couldn't that stem from their need to prove the world around them, to discover the facts in order to prove what's real is actually real? If this race has any doubts or suspicions  wouldn't it be natural for them to fiercely seek the truth even if that required some espionage? I think so.

I believe this philosophy fits with the theme of this race. Calling them "the Cogito" didn't really have a ring to it though plus it kind of implied the empire was one collective hive-mind since cogito means "I think."

= Therefore, here's some related info that I used:

As stated, Cogito is a first person singular form meaning: I think.

Cogitare is a infinitive form meaning: to think.

Cogitandus is the -ing form when used as an adjective: the thinking corner/ the thinking contest / the thinking people.

The point isn't to obey or even respect latin grammar but rather to pay tribute to the famous philosophy. So as long as the root of the word is respected, I think it'd be fine to go a little

~crazy~

So if we drop the "E" from the end of the infinitive form and then tack a "S" on the end to make it closer to a plural word in English, then we get: Cogitars. I'd be open to other related derivatives but I'm proposing this one. It's not exactly unpronounceable gibberish but it's not exactly totally familiar either -- I do make this claim as a native English speaker; I suspect romance languages might still use this latin root.

Anyway, I know it's late but I hope this grabs people's attention and gets some approval! 

0Send private message
Comment