Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Studying in Game Design and Programming. Need College recommendations that teach this

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Dec 10, 2012, 5:16:42 PM
Hello everyone, I am a college student in the U.S. that is currently studying in game design and development(or programming). I am posting this because I want to get some recommendations for schools that specialize in computer science or some form of media fine arts. I know that there are plently of people that do programming here and I really want your opinion even if you are self taught. If the school is in a country besides the U.S. thats ok too. Devs please give me your opinion, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and have a nice day!smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 4:52:48 PM
Considering your location, have you ever considered Radford University? I have heard good things about them from some of my friends in the area.

Hope this helps!
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 12, 2012, 5:03:06 PM
I have, but I want to get recommendations from everyone. There might be that one school that no one has heard of, but it ends up being exactly the one I want. That sort of thing I guess.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 19, 2012, 2:20:32 PM
Hey Mr Spartan,

Sadly I know more about French schools than US schools. The guys we hired here are from Enjmin and Supinfo . I am really impressed with their knowledge in game design as well as video game production techniques.

15 years ago, when I started, you definitely did not find such well educated young talents that easily. Things have changed, and one thing is for sure: competition is tough. Joining a good design school is only the beginning.

I can give you 2 advices for that time spent studying game design:

- Do not spend your time playing video games: read, watch movies, learn about art history, listen to all kind of music, write essais, take acting courses, try to be as complete as possible. there is nothing worse than a game designer whose only interest in only in video games (as fascinating as they may be)

- Create, create, create. when you have finished your studies you can only show your difference by what you have been able to create during that time. Show that you are creative and prolific.

I hope this helps!

ST
0Send private message
12 years ago
Dec 28, 2012, 12:17:10 AM
Wanted to throw this out there, the University of Utah is offering a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science - Entertainment Arts and Engineering (a.k.a video game design).
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 16, 2020, 9:26:46 AM

Center for Game Development program at Quinnipiac University ranks 31 in the USA. I'm from West Haven, CT, so it would be close enough and I could commute by my car. Only 2 exams are left and I will need to write my essay evaluation for me. Any alternatives for a degree in game design? RIT, Wilmington University or DigiPen or any cheaper colleges?

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 18, 2020, 12:12:25 AM
From what i understand it doesn't matter if you go to college. Many devs dont care if you've been. Just if you can do the work well. Build the skills you need from online tools and creat a solid portfolio. Then make some mods or a couple small indie games.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 25, 2020, 5:55:47 AM

The University of Central Florida offers stuff for folks interested in art, production, and programming depending on what you're interested in but it is pretty competitive as it's a masters program. If you're interested in learning more I'd suggest looking into the FIEA!

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
Comment