Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Screen resolution support on modern Macs

Copied to clipboard!
a year ago
Feb 15, 2023, 1:13:38 AM

Now that the Apple Silicon build of Humankind is getting into good shape, is there any chance of revisiting some of the earlier games with updates for modern Macs?

At the very least, it'd be great to get Endless Space 2 updated to properly support Apple's weird new resolutions. The earlier games can all be made to run well in Parallels, and get proper fullscreen support through that. But Endless Space 2 is still a bit recent to really run nicely on the virtual machine, so it'd be great if the Mac port could be fixed.

This is how full screen games should run on new MacBook models that feature the camera notch. The game should run in a 16:10 resolution and sit neatly below a black bar at the top, exactly the height of the notch:

This is how Endless Space 2 looks. Note the black bars down the sides (it might not be a pixel perfect representation, as taking a screenshot of this actually excluded the borders, so I opened the screenshot in Preview and took a screenshot of that to simulate the effect):

Both games are set to run in 3456x2160 (native resolution for the display, minus the height of the notch area). I've tried Endless Space 2 in Windowed, Fullscreen, and Borderless Window mode, and I've tried turning off the OS level 'scale to fit below built in camera' option. Nothing makes a difference. So whatever I do, I'm stuck playing with odd black borders, and without the beautiful crisp graphics that should come with running in native resolution, because of the scaling. Lots of fine lines and fonts look slightly off.

No idea how complicated a fix this is, but it would be much appreciated!

0Send private message
a year ago
Feb 26, 2023, 5:38:09 PM

Can confirm, I'm on a Macbook Pro with M2 chip, the resolution is weird and all small text is blurry and unreadable(their sizes are alright, just very blurry), even after I tried to set the game to the highest resolution possible. Also there are two black bars on the side of the screen. 

Really hope this can get fixed! Will there be any plan regarding this issue?

0Send private message
a year ago
Jun 9, 2023, 11:30:23 PM

Had a bit of a play around with the launch options from the Unity documentation and I've managed to get it running fullscreen in the correct resolution. These are the options I used:

-screen-height 2160 -screen-width 3456 -screen-fullscreen

And this it the result I got:

Sadly, it seems all the UI elements at the top of the screen have their positions calculated from the top to the screen, not from the top of the window. So a load of important UI effectively sticks up into the notch area and is cut off. Also, the position of the mouse seems to be calculated the same way, so I have to position the mouse pointer slightly above everything I want to click on, as can be seen in this screen shot, where the tooltip for the fleet has appeared, despite me pointing slightly above the fleet in the game.

Edit: I've just looked at the screen shot again and realised the mouse pointer is hidden. I promise you though, the pointer was far enough above the fleet that the tooltip should not have appeared!

Updated a year ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message