Hacking guide: Can you hack this?

I can hack this!
I can't, so I will proceed to read
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 27, 2019, 7:26:42 PM

Are you sure Encrypt affects traces? I was under the impression that defensive programs only triggered on enemy hacks, not traces.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 27, 2019, 9:11:36 PM

Hacking a home system always puts up a backdoor and then enables you to do some good stuff....

I'm not sure exactly which attacks give you a backdoor, but it's not all of them. The sleeper attacks (Infiltrate Scanners and Abduct Sleepers) do not, and while Create Sanctuary of course gives you system access, it doesn't give you the backdoor bonuses. Server ID Duplication does create a back door in addition to stealing tech. The others I did not look at closely enough to say one way or the other.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 27, 2019, 9:43:46 PM
Magnnus wrote:

Are you sure Encrypt affects traces? I was under the impression that defensive programs only triggered on enemy hacks, not traces.

I wish I could say so with confidence. But I can quote Amplitude tutorial on this one!

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 27, 2019, 9:46:07 PM
BigBraddWolfe wrote:

Hacking a home system always puts up a backdoor and then enables you to do some good stuff....

I'm not sure exactly which attacks give you a backdoor, but it's not all of them. The sleeper attacks (Infiltrate Scanners and Abduct Sleepers) do not, and while Create Sanctuary of course gives you system access, it doesn't give you the backdoor bonuses. Server ID Duplication does create a back door in addition to stealing tech. The others I did not look at closely enough to say one way or the other.

Damn. I recently started living under the impression it did, but then I also almost always steal techs first. Must verify.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 28, 2019, 12:30:44 AM
koxsos wrote:
Magnnus wrote:

I wish I could say so with confidence. But I can quote Amplitude tutorial on this one!

Do you mean the Endless Space 2 - Penumbra - Basic Tutorial? I don't see anything in there about defensive programs affecting traces.

0Send private message
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 28, 2019, 11:17:12 AM

If its your tutorial on steam, good work sir.

I'm working on a video tutorial. Will you mind if I link it?

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 28, 2019, 12:39:49 PM

you link it, and I will link to it, however, we need to verify some 'facts' =D

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 28, 2019, 12:59:03 PM

ok I have given the question and got an answer from one person who I do believe.

1) nope. defensive programs don't affect the trace speed. while I don't know whether singularity will affect or not.

2) Server ID Duplication will give you a tech & backdoor

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 29, 2019, 1:24:37 AM

I got this useful information from ButterPoached on reddit regarding traces (link):

A Trace moves 1 node per turn, and it completes at the end of the turn that it reaches the hacking system. Check the remaining time on the hack when the intrusion is detected, and if it takes more turns than there are nodes between the target and the source, cancel it. If it is equal, the hack will complete, but the target will still get to respond, so you need to decide if it is worth it.

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 29, 2019, 1:46:41 PM

I do believe I have seen a trace halway to a node mostly depending on the line length, thus I would disagree with that general statement and would not rely on it, will verify though.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 29, 2019, 7:14:27 PM

ok, got myself some pics from a game to provide visual proof that trace does not progress at the speed of "one node per turn".

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 30, 2019, 12:08:07 PM

Traces take one turn per node they must pass through and travel between nodes at twice the speed of a basic hacking operation, in my experience. 

Thus, if you have a hacking operation that passes through four nodes and takes 3 turns per node plus has a long patch that takes 2 turns to pass through, the total hacking operation time would be 16 turns. A trace would take 3 turns to complete and would begin when you hit the last node (which would take you three turns to complete) so they'd complete at the same time. An Accelerator (assuming no other mods) would make your hacking time on that node 2 turns and you would beat the trace. 

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 30, 2019, 12:14:08 PM

You are literally posting this below a picture that depicts a trace ongoing for 2+ turns between two nodes.

The lane lengths vary, it's incorrect to assume it takes one turn per node.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 30, 2019, 12:17:01 PM
koxsos wrote:

You are literally posting this below a picture that depicts a trace ongoing for 2+ turns between two nodes.

The lane lengths vary, it's incorrect to assume it takes one turn per node.

You misunderstand me, I apologize for the lack of clarity. 

What I am stating is that the travel time varies but appears to move at twice the distance of your normal hack. 

But the time to hack a single node is one turn per node. So if it takes the trace two turns to reach the node, it will hack that node in one turn once it's there. 

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 30, 2019, 12:19:23 PM

I think what Valadeus is saying that the node itself takes one turn. E.g. if the trace reaches Syrma, it would take one turn there in the system, rather than on a lane.

I am not confident that is right, though. I'd have to confirm with the designers.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Jan 30, 2019, 12:22:30 PM
The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales wrote:

I think what Valadeus is saying that the node itself takes one turn. E.g. if the trace reaches Syrma, it would take one turn there in the system, rather than on a lane.

I am not confident that is right, though. I'd have to confirm with the designers.

Yes, this what I'm stating and it is only based on my observation. Obviously I don't have any detailed information in front of me to work with so I'm simply going with what I've observed, which appears to be that a trace will hack a node in one turn and moves at double speed through the lanes. 

Updated 6 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment