Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

When will there be Intel graphics support?

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 6:04:19 AM

Me and apparently hundreds of others have had issues with crashing in the loading screen. When can we expect there to be support for Intel graphics cards? Any other game runs fine with them, but its rather depressing that so many people can't play such an awesome game, even after purchasing, simply because their computer has an unsupported card. I personally play on a laptop, and I have yet to find a way to successfully change the card installed in it, so I guess I'm out of luck unless there can be support for Intel cards.

Specs:

Toshiba Satellite S55-C

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel core i7-500U CPU 2.40GHz

12GB RAM

Intel HD 5500

DirectX 12

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 6:07:08 PM

The minimum spec required explicitly a dedicated GPU so maybe it could change but I wouldn't expect it because integrated GPU are really different and weak in term of 3D capacity.

Better wait for an official answer but you might have to get a refund

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 9, 2016, 9:18:35 PM

I'm in the same boat. $1300 company laptop that can run most modern games days no problem using an Intel HD card. 

I never heard of a game not supporting Intel hd cards. Shame my favorite gaming company in history isn't going to support an industry standard

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:55:47 AM

I am fairly sure a $1300 laptop would have a dedicated GPU.

Most of the "Intel graphics" issue stem from two different causes:

1 Your laptop is above specs has an Intel HD Graphics chipset ALONG with a dedicated GPU, and you need to ensure it uses the dedicated GPU to launch the game.

2 Your laptop is below specs, and the Intel HD chipset has no chance of running the game. I've seen players try to run the game with entry-level laptops from 2012.

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of the game, the game will most probably not run at all.

MINIMUM: 

• Processor: i3 4th generation / i5 2nd generation / A6 series
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon 5800 series / NVidia 550Ti
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 8 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DX11 compatible
    • Additional Notes: Minimum Resolution: 1280 x 720

RECOMMENDED: 

• Processor: i3 5th generation (or newer) / i5 3rd generation (or newer) / FX4170 (or newer)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon 8000 series or newer / NVidia GTX 660 or newer
    • Additional Notes: Recommended Resolution: 1920 x 1080

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 2:34:48 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

1 Your laptop is above specs has an Intel HD Graphics chipset ALONG with a dedicated GPU, and you need to ensure it uses the dedicated GPU to launch the game.

2 Your laptop is below specs, and the Intel HD chipset has no chance of running the game. I've seen players try to run the game with entry-level laptops from 2012.

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of the game, the game will most probably not run at all.

MINIMUM: 

RECOMMENDED: 

• Processor: i3 5th generation (or newer) / i5 3rd generation (or newer) / FX4170 (or newer)

My laptop is well above the system requirements as far as RAM and processor, and i can run any of the hundred other games in my steam library just fine, endless legend included on max graphics. Ive refunded my purchase for now, seeing as I can't change what graphics card my laptop has.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 2:57:25 PM

Intel HD 5500 could potentially run the game (if by the skin of its teeth), but that would require giving your computer all the help it can get, starting with making sure you have the latest Intel HD drivers installed on your machine.

Here are the drivers directly from Toshiba's website for your machine:

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200010656&osId=26

Below is Intel's website for the non-Toshiba version. Considering that Toshiba's website has drivers that are 8 months out of date, it might be worth taking a look:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500-for-5th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

Hope this helps.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 8:19:27 PM
Frogsquadron wrote:

MINIMUM: 

RECOMMENDED: 

I have a laptop that costed more than $2000 and doesn't have dedicated GPU. (Although admitedly it is a Mac).

Comapring to minimum requirements above:

• OS: Windows (64bits only) 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10   - I have a Win 10
  • Processor: i3 4th generation / i5 2nd generation / A6 series  Haswell i7 2.80 GHz (2 core)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM  8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon 5800 series / NVidia 550Ti   - Intel Iris 5100 (which is comparable in perfomance to AMD Radeon 5830)
  • DirectX: Version 11  - yes
  • Storage: 8 GB available space - yes
  • Sound Card: DX11 compatible -  yes
  • Additional Notes: Minimum Resolution: 1280 x 720 - yes

I am not a big gamer, so running a game on minimum settings is good enough for me. It is story and ideas execution that counts. However the game crashes on loading screen after Sega video. 

So a question to developpers, should I ask Steam for a refund of this, wonderful game (I am a huge fan of the first part), or support for Intel IRIS is coming in the near future?

Thank you in advance for your help. :)

P.S. I think I also should add that laptop in this configuration runs games like Total War: Warhammer with max size of the units on almost! min settings. Although I do get a feeling that it will blow up in the process :D 

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 9:47:36 PM
iood wrote:

I have a laptop that costed more than $2000 and doesn't have dedicated GPU. (Although admitedly it is a Mac).

That's what happens when you pay for logo instead of hardware. Problem with Integrated GPU from Intel not just that they aren't that good, but also their drives aren't really targeting games...

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 10, 2016, 10:52:01 PM
Sunbeam wrote:
iood wrote:

That's what happens when you pay for logo instead of hardware. Problem with Integrated GPU from Intel not just that they aren't that good, but also their drives aren't really targeting games...

Perhaps. But in my understanding it should work, and I am ready to play on minimal settings (which in my experience is not even necessary for games with similar min requirements) .

Still I would prefer a clear answer from a Dev team, whether I should return the game or keep it because the Intel HD support is coming soon. I would really appreciate the clarity :) 

Edit: Is it just me, or is this part of the output log really interesting, giving that I have only Intel IRIS on my laptop :

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Vendor:   NVIDIA
    VRAM:     1989 MB

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 1:22:52 AM
sollitdude wrote:

doesnt this mean that the game is programmed wrong? i mean, shouldnt the game on auto search for the dedicated graphics card, instead of force using the onboard gpu?

This is highly dependent on the type of video card on the system, etc. Even Steam won't often detect the AMD/Nvidia on-board cards

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 1:33:20 AM
Janosan wrote:

Skylake i7 with iris 540 (http://ark.intel.com/products/91163/Intel-Core-i7-6560U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz) should run the game but it doesn't seem to be supported. It's powerful for an integrated vga.

Note that 'more powerful than previous cards' isn't saying a whole lot for Intel chipsets

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Graphics-540.149939.0.html

You'd have to down the resolution to the minimum 720p and then put the settings on low for it to not run like a slideshow.

The other problem is that Intel cards tend to be in a 'oh yeah we kinda sorta support opengl dx11/dx12 but not really' kind of thing. Aka it 'claims' something is supported but then when you actually call that, the driver decides to implode on itself

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 4:18:16 AM

I dont get this biased ignorant bashing.

Oh no its an intel HD card. You cant even run frogger and developers dont support it.

Really? Choose just about any game on Steam. Yes I can run it and a new integrated Intel GPU and a i7 with 8 GB of Ram can run it pretty darn well too.

And besides this is a Space 4x game. You think I need to run 4k or even 1080p at 60fps? Whats the point. 

If this was the new Doom or BF 1, I would understand. I wont even go there. Ironically enough I think they support integrated cards.  

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 5:51:35 PM
sollitdude wrote:

you can already have a gtx 1060 for only 230 euro's. that aint money.

I'll be sure to pop that in my Laptop. Thanks for the expert advice.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 10:52:49 PM
talkslow4me wrote:

I dont get this biased ignorant bashing.

Oh no its an intel HD card. You cant even run frogger and developers dont support it.

It isn't ignorant bashing, but a question of Intel's priorities and programming. Itel's priority has been to support advanced video playback on the CPU. This means that your "Intel HD card" isn't actually a card, it is a software driver translating Direct X and OpenGL calls to x86 instructions. In recent processors they have added some dedicated logic for video calls, but it isn't the quantity or quality of companies and cards that have been doing graphics for years. These limitations will be made worse by running on a mobile CPU, which often makes sacrifices in side features and speed to make their size, power, and heat requirements.

As far as what games on Steam run on them... there are thousands of games on Steam, many that do have very light graphics requirements. It looks like ES2 isn't shaping up to be one of them. The devs have a limited amount of time, getting the game to run on every old machine is impossible. They drew a line and some people are behind it. Life is tough that way, I'm sure they didn't want to give up the customers any more than the customers wanted to be cut off.

To everyone who is trying to get it to run on Intel anyway, keep it coming. It is good to know what you can get to work and I suspect the devs might even want to know.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 25, 2017, 7:46:48 PM

I am also in this group, my desktop plays the game just fine (the GTX 970 does not even warm up), and i was surprised that both my Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 cannot. At the beginning i thought it was just because of alpha or settings, so was glad to find this thread; at least this way I don't need to keep on trying to fix something that can't be fixed.

As for the rationale if it makes sense or not to support Intel HD, well, it is up to Amplitude to decide, my two cents are that you will be missing out on all Surfaces Pro3/4 customers. My Surface Pro3 can play Elite Dangerous and EVE just fine, Unity development has zero problems with it.

Games like this (turn based) are perfect for laptops, when you can play in the train, bus, anywhere, since you can stop at any time and do not need to have 100% focus on the game. If this was touch friendly, I would even expect to see it in tablets.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment