Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Gradual, crippling performance as a game of Endless Space 2 progresses.

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Oct 11, 2016, 4:13:38 AM

Hello, I'm a new forum member, but no stranger to amplitude studios' early access releases. That being said, I am experiencing some really bad performance when playing this game, and am curious if this because the game hasn't really gone through the optimization phase or if there is some other problem. First, when I start up a game of Endless Space 2, my FPS usually remains in the high 50s or constant 60 (Beautiful graphics setting). After about eighty-to-a-hundred turns, that is when I begin to notice that my frames are plummeting into the twenties. The game becomes really unresponsive as the FPS fluctuates back and forth, often leading to double clicks, stuttering, and sped up animations. 

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

Intel i5 3470 

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard

16GB DDR3 Memory

Kingston 120GB SSD 

Western Digital "Black" 1TB Hard Drive 

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Diagnostics - 2016'10'10 @2228'21''.html

AutoSave 744.zip

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 8, 2016, 4:21:57 PM

When such performance reduction manifests, capture of Lumeris planet by invasion turns match interface completely unresponsive. System monitor shows high cpu usage and memory usage climbs slowly by fraction of MB per second. Does enemy AI shows surprise in such way? Nonetheless, client doesn't crush, leaves the ability to save and quit. Upd: Save: AutoSave 641.zip. Invade Auva in same turn and try to apply improvements on it. I correct myself, menus are available for navigation, interface animation responds to cursor placement, but no actions are allowed to be performed after The Great Auva Invasion.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 8, 2016, 10:09:21 PM

If you have a specific save game that manifests the issue you should also attach it so the devs can look at perfromance issues

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 10, 2016, 4:13:31 PM
satoru wrote:

If you have a specific save game that manifests the issue you should also attach it so the devs can look at perfromance issues

I've updated my post.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 12, 2016, 9:36:37 PM

I also updated my post as well. I think I just ran into your problem Xanfus, so you're not alone. Hopefully the Devs will get everything sorted

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 13, 2016, 5:59:10 PM

I have problems with late game performance too. Ending turn takes forever and then AI is still doing its movements on the begining of new turn. Additionaly, during this, game is unresponsive. I know that this is very early build, but fully released es1 had same issues.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 26, 2016, 8:48:14 PM

I've been repeatedly getting dramatically increased end turn times around turn 80-100 as well. I would expect the turns would take longer in the end game because of all the increased calculations, but right now it becomes significant enough that its detracting from the gameplay experience.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 27, 2016, 4:51:03 AM

I registered to discuss the issue with end turn times being very high. From what I noticed, the end turn times started increasing from around 80-90 turns. I have played till 160 turns, when I decided to start timing the amount of time it was taking to process each turn. After clicking end turn on 160th turn, I started the stopwatch. After 10 minutes I got impatient and quit the game, since at that rate it would take me 400 minutes more to finish the game. My computer specs are pretty good. I am running a i7 3770K on a Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. My processor is water-cooled, though I am sure the processor was not being used to anywhere near its full potential, since the fans on the radiator were pretty quiet. For graphics card I am running at 560Ti at the moment, though I have faced the same issue with my 7970 Vapor-X too.

I really love the game and really want to play it, but I don't have the patience to wait for 10 mins each turn during the later part of the game. Like any 4X, if you are trying to get a non-combat victory, the last 50 or so turns are mostly uneventful. Most of the times you just click next turn and tweak something here and there towards a peaceful victory.

I request the developers to not look at my post as a complaint, but as a request from someone who really wants to enjoy the later part of the game. A request to optimise the processing of end of turns so that the game can be enjoyed as it is meant to be. If there is anything I can do on my part to help with this, I would be glad to.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 28, 2016, 4:59:19 PM

Could you please share your save folder for this game? Increased end turn latency is expected from the game given the current issues with performance, but not at this point!

Thanks in advance.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 28, 2016, 10:53:35 PM

Hello, Frogsquadron, are you referring to me or someone else on this thread?  

EDIT: Ah, I think you were referring to digitallyAlive after reading the comments again. My bad XD. I agree with digitallyAlive, though, I also want to see this game succeed, and I don't mind sharing a few save files if that'll help. EDIT: END 

I also experience the end turn latency, so I'll leave my save folder here in case it helps in any way. I also played through a United Empire campaign, and have made multiple saves up to turn 68 or 69(UE2-4 + AutoSave 877-880). The Space Russia save maybe the only one that does not work (End Turn "Pending" bug), but the rest should be fine, I think. 

UE4.zip

AutoSave 880.zip

AutoSave 879.zip

AutoSave 878.zip

AutoSave 877.zip

UE3.zip

UE2.zip

Space Russia.zip

VodyaniSave1.zip

YOLO.zip

GRUB.zip

The other corporation.zip

The Corporation.zip

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 28, 2016, 11:44:38 PM

I have the same issue and mine stems from CPU usage capping at/near 100%.  I also run an i5 3000 series.  I believe this is the root of the issue and most of the people I have spoken with regarding this issue also run older processors.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Nov 29, 2016, 1:42:31 PM

Thank you for the files, everyone. We'll update you when we know more.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 3, 2016, 5:17:02 AM

Here is another observation from my side. I decided to try this out because of something I thought. I loaded the game which I had played till 160 turns again. This time around the end turn processing is normal. Before this I had played 160 turns in a single setting. Being a software engineer myself I thought that there might be a possibility that resources are not being reclaimed turn over turn which is causing a lot of memory to be used up on stuff that should not be relevant anymore. This memory should be reclaimed as the game progresses, which is not happening. One more thing that led me to think this is that, I had received a low memory error on my last play-through of 160 turns in a single setting. Getting a low memory notification on my system is extremely rare since my system has 16 GB of RAM, which is more than enough to handle any game.

I think that this issue has something to do with how memory is being reclaimed or garbage collected in software terms. Since a restart of the game eliminated this issue, I am pretty sure a fresh load of the save did not load up all the unnecessary memory that was being held up during the last play-through. So some fine-tuning on how variables and memory are handled after they become irrelevant for the game might easily fix this issue.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 5, 2016, 1:53:35 PM

An upcoming fix includes certain recurring memory allocation issues, which should hopefully contribute to enhancing performance.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment