Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[FIXED] Game Crashing on Startup Since Update (Win7)

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 1:24:22 AM
Astasia wrote:
srjek wrote:

This Unity issue

Following the link trail in here lead to a windows update which fixes the problem. I don't know why my system didn't have this update already or if it's some optional/situational side update, but I manually downloaded it and installed it and the game launched.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Thank you so much! My game works now.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 28, 2017, 2:01:09 PM

For any and all still affected, we're testing a fix that should be released shortly.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 26, 2017, 3:44:09 PM

It didn't fix the problem for me too. I would really love a fast patch. I'm dying to play the new update :(

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 26, 2017, 11:51:21 AM
satoru wrote:

Can you try deleting the file

My Documents\Endless Space 2\Users\<numbers>\Registry.xml

And start the game

Also do you have any command line options in the Steam launcher for the game?

QuestionableObject wrote:

I have the same issue, I saw your potential fix on the Steam forum Satoru and tested it as well as your suggestion to delete the Registry.xml file but neither worked, pink screen all the same.

I'm also running a Windows 7 OS, have an Nvidia GeForce graphics card and all my drivers are up to date.

Astasia wrote:
srjek wrote:

This Unity issue

Following the link trail in here lead to a windows update which fixes the problem. I don't know why my system didn't have this update already or if it's some optional/situational side update, but I manually downloaded it and installed it and the game launched.

does not work

i have PinkSOD ((

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 10:13:14 PM

@Zagato did you delete the files in "My Documents/Endless Space" or in "Steam\steamapps\common\Endless Space 2"?

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 7:49:08 PM

I just wanted to add my experience with the game crashing after Update 3.

So I did everything mentioned here and in the Steam's "Common issues, guides and solutions" -thread. Did a re-install. Still nothing. Only "Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64" -update that was mentioned here helped me to get past pink/purple screen, but the game just kept crashing at loading screen. Then I decided to do another re-install, but this time to also delete any and all folders with "Endless Space 2" found on my computer. There were actually a few left after uninstalling through Steam.

And THAT was what actually fixed my crashing issues. I don't know if my previous re-installation had corrupted files or if deleting all leftover files was what fixed the issue, just wanted to leave my "findings" here if anyone has the same issue I had.

Cheers.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 10:54:07 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone for sharing the update and the how-to in case the update gets stuck. I've stickied the thread for more visibility and will add it to our standard troubleshooting procedure. 

Teamwork yay!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 10:32:00 AM
Astasia wrote:
srjek wrote:

This Unity issue

Thanks!

That works for me as well. :D

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 2:24:45 AM
SeaNyan wrote:
Astasia wrote:
srjek wrote:

This Unity issue

Thank you so much! My game works now.

I wasn't able to get this to work for me until recently, since I had a lovely infinite hang when my windows update would try and update. However, the game starts now! 

If anyone else has the same issue with windows update hanging the fix can be found here: https://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates/996072#996072

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 7:05:39 PM

Ever since the update today I haven't been able to even make it to the menu screen, every time the game launches I just get a purple screen then crash. I've so far verified files, reinstalled, updated my graphics drivers, and the checked that the program isn't being blocked by my antivirus or firewall. 

Here's the files from the folder it created:

crash.dmp

error.log

output_log.txt

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 24, 2017, 1:09:31 AM

That update infamously kind 'breaks' some AMD mobility chipsets and a few other things which is why its not really part of the 'standard' deployment

I've notified the devs of the issue. If you could provide

1) dxdiag

2) output_log.txt

3) error.log

Though at this point Windows 7 does seem to be the common thread.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 11:56:49 PM

I have the same issue, I saw your potential fix on the Steam forum Satoru and tested it as well as your suggestion to delete the Registry.xml file but neither worked, pink screen all the same.

I'm also running a Windows 7 OS, have an Nvidia GeForce graphics card and all my drivers are up to date.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 11:52:45 PM

Doesn't work. It's trying to do dx11 but failing.

This is the top of the log normally:

Initialize engine version: 5.5.1p1 (d7332d2a7307)

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

d3d11: failed to create D3D11 device (0x80070057)

Direct3D:

Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dumx.dll 21.21.13.7892]

This is if you try to force dx11:

Initialize engine version: 5.5.1p1 (d7332d2a7307)

Forcing GfxDevice: Direct3D 11

Direct3D:

Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dumx.dll 21.21.13.7892]

It looks like forcing it just makes it attempt dx11 one extra time before giving up. 

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 11:34:58 PM

I've seen a few other reports of the game not triggering the DX11 rendering pipeline

Can you go into steam

Endless Space 2-> Right click->Properties

General->Set Launch Options

-force-d3d11

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 11:02:20 PM

Can you try deleting the file

My Documents\Endless Space 2\Users\<numbers>\Registry.xml

And start the game

Also do you have any command line options in the Steam launcher for the game?

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 23, 2017, 8:07:24 PM

Hello, I'm a friend of Kryso that doesn't have the issue, but has been doing a bunch of googling and comparing log files. Here's what I found so far, it may or may not be of help.

Right at the beginning of output_log.txt, his system fails to create a D3D11 device and fallbacks to D3D9. It all goes downhill from there, spewing various graphics-related error messages until it finally segfaults.

Horatio Update is currently on Unity 5.4.0f3

The current Riftwalker Update is on Unity 5.5.1p1

He is on Windows 7.

This Unity issue seems to match the issue Kryso is having, it showed up in 5.4.3p4, and was fixed in 5.5.1p4.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment