Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[SOLVED] 'Crash' message on main menu, actual hard crash on new game start.

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
May 29, 2017, 8:28:22 AM

Description:

As it says. There is an error message (and error log generated), but I seem to be able to click back onto the game window and it runs okay until I try to commence a New Game. Loading an existing game seems to work, though?

Reproducibility:

5/5: I Verified the Steam Cache after the second time it crashed, but it's now crashed 5 times in a row.

Reproduction Instructions:

Launch the game, click off of the error,

- Logo videos play back fine.

- Loading screen.

- Music begins.

- Error message appears. I can click off of it and the menu will be displayed and seems to work fine.

- Main menu is displayed.

- I try to start a new singleplayer game (I have tried a variety of settings).

- Loading screen. Hangs at 100% load bar briefly.

- Hard crash ('Endless Space 2 has stopped working' Windows error).

Version: 

V1.0.5 S5 GOLD-Public. I believe this is the most recent public build.

Notes:

I would not be surprised if this is somehow an issue related to my specific execution environment. Please let me know if there's any troubleshooting you'd like me to do.

Attached Files:

- Crash dialogue. I apologise for the poor cropping.

- Crash Dump

crash.dmp

- Crash Logs

error.log

output_log.txt

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 29, 2017, 4:36:01 PM

Update:

There has been a small patch, and I had hoped my issue might have disappeared. This is not the case.

I am now running V1.0.52 S5 GOLD-Public. The game still has an error on main menu, and still crashes on new game.

Attached Files:

I have affixed the new log files.

- Crash Dump

crash.dmp

- Crash Logs

error.log

output_log.txt

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 30, 2017, 9:08:46 AM

I had the same problem. 

After looking into my error.log I had the same problem with the ffmpeg.dll.

I rembembered that I had installed a codec pack with ffmpeg acouple a days ago, before the hotfix.

So I tried to uninstall and delete all the codecs. After that the game stopped constantly crashing on me. 

Also my problem with reseting display drivers are gone now.

So either my ffmpeg codec was faulty or the game has problems with it, either way my game works now.

Maybe this can help you guys.

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 31, 2017, 10:01:30 AM

Is there any other troubleshooting you'd recommend for me? I've now reinstalled the game, and continue to hit this bug. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but Endles Space 2 is, in fact, literally unplayable for me right now. 

I have now also tried this solution, to disable ffdshow from an external source, which did not resolve the problem. I am still crashing to desktop on new game start.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 31, 2017, 12:45:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're still unable to play :/

Since you've reinstalled the game, I guess Verfiying the Game Files won't be that helpful... Could you please post your DxDiag so we can look into it?

Thank you and again, sorry for  the inconvenience :(

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 31, 2017, 6:01:02 PM

Do you have any 3rd party codecs installed like the k-lite codec pack?

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 31, 2017, 6:31:21 PM

Yes, I do. But that isn't the only source of ffmpeg.dll on my PC. It is odd that only Endless Space 2 seems to have trouble; other games that use ffmpeg (like Planetary Annihilation) are fine. And I even got through a full game of ES2 before I had to take a week off for study. I think it got patched in that time, and introduced the issue? It's weird.

If you really need help isolating the issue, I could be convinced to uninstall klite or play with its settings and see if that improves things. But it's a fiddly piece of software, so I'd rather wait for a fix than implement such a workaround.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 4, 2017, 9:43:46 AM

So is there no fix for Endless Space 2? No other game I have ever played is incompatible with klite codec pack's ffmpeg install. I still cannot get to main menu without the crash.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 5, 2017, 1:14:59 PM

something with the older ffpmeg module it comes with, and with windows 7 as far as I can tell from various reports that causes this issue

Essentially the ffpmeg.dll from this codec pack is crashing the game 

One fix I've seen is that when the game crashes you will see an ffpmeg icon in your system tray, from there you can right click it and add endless space 2.exe as an exception for the klite ffmpeg dll to not be used.

Also can you run a FULL update of the codec pack. It looks like your dll is very old which is why its probably causing the crashes. Your file is from 2014, but the latest version should be a file from 2016

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 6, 2017, 7:51:54 AM

Thankyou for mentioning that the ffmpeg.dll file might be too old to be compatible. I have updated the codec pack, and Endless Space 2 now works correctly! Please advise anyone else with an ffmpeg.dll crash to update their codecs.

Thanks for your patience and help resolving my issue. I am going to spend all day tomorrow playing, I think :)

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment