It took me awhile to realize it, but often the planet anomalies get are getting rendered only behind the planet. In such cases, you can only see them where they peak around the edges. Strangely, if you press the space bar for the planet scan, the anomalies suddenly appear, only to dissapear again when leaving scan mode.
Now some anomalies are unaffected, so I have to wonder if different art teams are using different techniques to creat the effects - where one of the processes leads to the issue.
For example, Dense Atmosphere works, Geothermal Activity works, Kessler Syndrome doesn't, Tunnled Slipgates doesn't.

Then I rembered Endless Space 1 has similar issues with anomalies not showing up properly as well. Different computer, but it also had a Radeon. Then one of the later updates seemed to fix the issue. I vagely rember some issue about Radeon, but I could easily be mistaken about that recolection.

So ayway, the problem is back. I know it's a different game, but it's still made in Unity, and clearly some of the pipeline is the same.

Any ideas?

-----

V1.2.8 S5 Gold Public

Macbook Pro (Late 2016)
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB RAM
Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB