Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[PC] Saved game won't launch

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Apr 1, 2019, 8:15:38 PM

Good evening. I actually have two issues to report. One of them has been happening for a few months now, but was just a minor inconvenience so I haven't reported until now.

The most important one is that I can't seem to be able to load certain games (mostly long ones). Specifically, I have a save of a game (currently in turn 181, huge galaxy size, 12 participants) that I can't seem to be able to load anymore.

However, if I start a new game, even with even bigger settings (such as exceptional size, high system density, and 12 participants, with many minor civilizations) the game loads just fine. You'd think this might be the case of a corrupted savefile, but I've been having this issue for a few weeks now, and sometimes it does load, though recently I haven't been able to achieve it.

When I try to launch the game, after a few seconds in the loading screen, the game "minimizes" or something. It's like I've alt+tabbed out of the game. I can't go back in, because the game just won't show up, but it's still running because I can hear the music. Sometimes, if I give it enough time, the game eventually launches (because I can hear the feedback when pressing the "Esc" key and similar), but other times it just ends up crashing.

The other issue is that, for a few months now, I haven't been able to use the Nvidia GeForce Experience's In-game Overlay. The fps counter doesn't show up (though a weird tiny green line, much like nvidia's signature green does appear near the middle of the screen) and when I use alt+z to try and pop it, it just takes me out of the game and opens the in-game overlay in the desktop.

I also can't take screenshots or record gameplay, neither through the overlay (for obvious reasons) nor keyboard shortcuts.

Any advice on both problems would be appreciated.

Here are all three files requested for the troubleshooting:

Diagnostics.html

Dxdiag.txt

output_log.txt

<Gist with the files>

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have followed the basic steps for troubleshooting before, to no success:

• Restarted PC.
  • Set the game to be forcefully run by the Nvidia GPU (in the Nvidia Panel).
  • Verified that the game has firewall permissions.
  • Marked the game to be executed as admin.
  • Ran the game in compatibility mode as Windows 7.
  • Verified that OneDrive is disabled.
  • Included the game in the antivirus exclusion list.
  • Verified the integrity of the game cache.
  • Deleted Registry.xml from the Documents/Endless Space 2 folder.
  • Reinstalled the game.
  • Verified that all drivers are up to date.
  • Reinstalled current graphic driver (clean install) through Nvidia GeForce Experience.
  • I even tried to "Optimize" the game settings through Nvidia GeForce Experience (because it does show up as a scanned, compatible game).
Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 3, 2019, 3:37:26 PM

Hey Train27,

sorry we didn't reply sooner. Checking the files you provided, I notice a lot of lines marked as D3D11 in the output_log, so could you try running the game with the opengl launch option? If you have never used special launch options for ES2 before, here's how to to it

1. Right-click the game in your library and select properties

2. Click on "Set Launch Options..."

3. enter -force-opengl

Let me know if that has any effect on the issue, please.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 3, 2019, 9:48:08 PM

Hi

Sorry for my delay as well, I'm not from the United States so there is a bit of time difference between us.

I tried your solution, and at first it seemed to work (the game loaded just fine). However, I wanted to be sure, so I closed the game and tried again. This time the game just closed after a few seconds of loading the savefile.

I tried restarting the pc and launching the game again, but to no success. At least now the game simply closes, and doesn't get stuck in the background until I manually kill it. This time there are no output logs or crash dumps, as I said the game simply closes.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: forcing the game to use openGL seems to have solved the problem about Nvidia's in-game overlay, as I can now see the fps counter and make screenshots and record video.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 7:56:02 AM

This is, unfortunately, a bit beyond my technical knowledge. Could you provide an output log of when it closes using the OpenGL option, so I can try to talk to somebody who understands this better than I do?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:06:32 AM

Sure thing, just tell me how to get such log and I'll upload it.

As I said there are no crash dumps of error logs after the game closes when using the openGL option, or at least not where they usually are (in the installation folder).

Edit: this is the most recent file that has been created/modified right after the game closing when launching a game. I can only assume you meant this output log.

output_log.txt

Hope it helps.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:15:26 AM

Oh, I was talking about the output_log.txt you shared before. With the -force-opengl options, all the D3D errors should be gone, so it'll be easier to see any other errors. But if it doesn't generate an output_log.txt while using that option, I'm at a loss.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:18:58 AM

Does it work with the output log that I edit-uploaded?

I found it in Endless Space 2/EndlessSpace2_Data/

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:25:26 AM

Thank you. Taking a glance at it, I see an error about one of the shaders not being supported. I'm not familiar with the specs of the GEforce GTX950M, so I have no idea about it's openGL capabilities.

And in general, it'd probably be better if we managed to sort out the problems with D3D, anyway.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:30:28 AM

So... am I to assume you'll pass the log to someone with a deeper understanding of the matter as per your statement?

I'm asking because as it seems this is not a very common issue, and from what you say I take it there really is no clear solution in sight.

Edit: it is not my intent to insinuate you are unskilled, as I was rather just quoting what you said previously.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 8:34:05 AM

I will try to get some input from somebody with more knowledge of this subject as soon as possible, yes.

In the meantime, I'd like to ask you to try one more potential solutions: I noticed that both logs have some errors about being unable to find Mono, which is the .net framework used by ES2. It is possible that this issue can be solved by manually updating/installing the Mono framework. We've had similar issues on MacOS a while ago where the game would seemingly close, which was solved by manually installing Mono.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 4, 2019, 9:21:15 AM

Well, I've tried loading the game a couple of times. It keeps closing, but now it gets to the second step ("Launching Game", I believe it is?), whereas before it simply closed without displaying anything in the "minilog" over the progress bar.

I saw in one of the troubleshooting posts in the forum that you can/should manually install Mono from an executable inside the Endless Space 2 folder. However, it was weird that my Mono folder inside the game's installation contains none of that. Here's the contents of  "Endless Space 2/EndlessSpace2_Data/Mono":

I DO have Unity 2019 installed, don't know if that might be a problem (because of mono stuff).

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 10, 2019, 6:53:10 PM

I've been making some digging on my own, and after activating the "--diagnostic" launch option, I reviewed the contents of the output_log.txt file again.

I found some interesting lines:

"Your driver has selected to run on your Intel integrated card (Intel(R) Iris(TM) Pro Graphics 5200) but you have a dedicated card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M). Please visit the game forum [ES2R15]"

However, I do have the Nvidia GPU as preferred graphic device to use for Endless Space 2. Here's a screenshot:

A few lines after that:

System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Mono.CSharp.CSharpCodeCompiler ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Windows mono path not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\mono\mono\mini\mono.exe

However, as is written a few messages prior, I just installed Mono a few days ago, and nothing has changed.

Any ideas pop up at the light of this new information? Would be glad for any help, as to be able to play again.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I post here the full output_log file, just in case more information is needed.

output_log.txt

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Apr 11, 2019, 9:00:04 AM

Well, this new information at least explains all the D3D errors in the log file, since as far as I know, the Intel onboard graphics chips aren't supported by ES2. One solution to this would be to completely disable the Intel chip in your device manager or bios, but that's pretty much a "last resort" option, as it completely disables the chip and will force everything to run through the nvidia chipset.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment