Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Can't Start New Game

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 2:12:06 AM

Whenever I try to start a new game, the first time I try to start it this screen pops up

And if I try again it goes to the loading screen but it won't go past this stage even if I wait for around 10 minutes (which I spent on the Internet, not waiting with the game on screen).

Game Version: V1.4.13 S5 Gold-Public

4 Diagnostic Files:

Diagnostics - 2019'08'11 @1704'28''.html

Diagnostics - 2019'08'11 @1718'36''.html

Diagnostics - 2019'08'11 @1744'26''.html

Diagnostics - 2019'08'13 @1102'47''.html

Output Logs: Player.log

MacBook Specifications: MacBook Specifications.rtf

I had 5 mods as of the time of the Dianostics, but none of them were enabled:

Ultimate Custom Faction

Kaizen Rejuvenation Long

+More Trait Points

PlanetTypeEden

I removed the last one, Unlimited Trait Count [Deprecated], but the problem still persists.

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 3:48:30 AM

What mods do you have  loaded, I was getting this with endless legends pop mod before the developer updated and squashed a bug

0Send private message
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 6:08:06 AM

From an immediate glance, it appears as if either More Trait Points or Ultimate Custom Faction (probably this) is causing some problems, a lot of trait based bugs are popping up in the diagnostics immediately before the crash.

Also, hey Cernunan, glad my mod isn't crashing you anymore

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 7:10:24 AM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

From an immediate glance, it appears as if either More Trait Points or Ultimate Custom Faction (probably this) is causing some problems, a lot of trait based bugs are popping up in the diagnostics immediately before the crash.

Also, hey Cernunan, glad my mod isn't crashing you anymore

I've tried again after deleting all custom factions involving mods. (Diagnostics - 2019'08'13 @1556'35''.html)

And again after removing "Ultimate Custom Faction" and "+More Trait Points" entirely. (Diagnostics - 2019'08'13 @1601'04''.html)

I've checked the errors and warnings, and in both diagnostics they refer to the factions or mods that I've deleted and removed, all except for "Gameplay   STACK   An exception was raised when executing GameServerState_LaunchGame."

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 8:57:05 AM

HAHA! I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!

I've checked the errors and warnings, and in both diagnostics they refer to the factions or mods that I've deleted and removed, all except for "Gameplay   STACK   An exception was raised when executing GameServerState_LaunchGame."

I thought this weird, and upon doing a search of the Endless Space 2 folders, I saw that the .xml files for some of the custom factions and its populations were still in Library/Application Support/Endless Space 2/Custom Factions

After finding what was likely the cause of all my frustration and lost time, I went through that folder and cleansed everthing that shouldn't exist like a fiery-sword-wielding-maniac.

HURRAH!!! I can now start a new game!

Ahem. Any ideas on what caused this?

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 13, 2019, 4:51:44 PM

Nice! Glad it works!

Edit: I can't specifically tell what might've caused it without looking at the faction you have deleted to see why, but just from experience, "An exception was raised when executing GameServerState_LaunchGame" is more of an effect than a cause (aka. something else is causing that to happen, usually broken/incorrect pathing somewhere)

Ultimate Custom Faction hasn't been updated in 2 years, with More Trait points not being updated in 1, so that might be a cause. (Something additional after looking into them, both have comments saying that they are broken).

I've used PlanetTypeEden before, and have never had a problem, same things goes with Kaizen Rejuvenation.

My guess from all of this? You made a faction using something from one of the broken faction mods (probably before it was broken), and when the game tried to load it it had a stroke.

Just some help in case you have problems in the future, I've made a helpful key for reading the error logs

ColorDescription
WhiteThe game just outputting helpful information into the log
YellowA warning for a minor bug, such as a pathing error, file not found, etc. One or two of these will only have small effects, but lots of these will cause the game to crash.
RedYou broke the game bad enough to make it freak out, maybe even enough to crash it.
MagentaSomething disrupted the normal flow inside of the program, can cause things such as crashes, logic errors, or anything like that.
VioletSomething that shouldn't ever happen inside the program has happened, usually very bad.
Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 14, 2019, 1:38:13 AM
CaptainCobbs wrote:

Nice! Glad it works!

Edit: I can't specifically tell what might've caused it without looking at the faction you have deleted to see why, but just from experience, "An exception was raised when executing GameServerState_LaunchGame" is more of an effect than a cause (aka. something else is causing that to happen, usually broken/incorrect pathing somewhere)

Ultimate Custom Faction hasn't been updated in 2 years, with More Trait points not being updated in 1, so that might be a cause. (Something additional after looking into them, both have comments saying that they are broken).

I've used PlanetTypeEden before, and have never had a problem, same things goes with Kaizen Rejuvenation.

My guess from all of this? You made a faction using something from one of the broken faction mods (probably before it was broken), and when the game tried to load it it had a stroke.

Yeah, that's most likely it, now that I learned the two mods are most likely broken. This was after several months of not playing ES2, after all.

Thanks for the help and explanation! Happy gaming!

0Send private message
Comment