Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

When will ES2 can be 64-bit in MacOS?

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Nov 28, 2019, 5:58:25 PM

MacOS catalina lost support to all 32-bit applications, including ES2. When will you be able to fix the problem?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Nov 29, 2019, 8:55:03 AM

Sorry that it's still not working. Endless Space 2 (and even the older Endless Legend, for that matter) already have 64 bit versions. But for some reason, Steam on Catalina sometimes uses the wrong version.

The best advice I can give at the moment is a clean reinstall of the game.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 20, 2019, 8:25:58 PM

I've tried uninstall/reinstall from within Steam, and that hasn't worked.  The games are still grayed-out and say something like "Our MacOS (Catalina) isn't able to run 32-bit games."  Is there some other recommended reinstall method?  Thanks.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 21, 2019, 10:58:38 AM

Perhaps this linked thread is of use for you: working with iOS Catalina

fastasleep wrote: "I think I found out how to get Endless Space 2 to run in Catalina. You need to install the MonoFramework-MDK-4.8.0.macos10.xamarin.universal.pkg again. It's in
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2/"

Updated 5 years ago.
0Send private message
5 years ago
Dec 25, 2019, 10:20:12 AM
jeffd wrote:

I've tried uninstall/reinstall from within Steam, and that hasn't worked.  The games are still grayed-out and say something like "Our MacOS (Catalina) isn't able to run 32-bit games."  Is there some other recommended reinstall method?  Thanks.

more than half of my games can't be open --thanks to stupidly obtrusive Apple inc.. I don't want to fix the problem of my games one by one, so I downgrade my macOS and closed autoupdate.

about how to downgrade, check here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 20, 2020, 9:38:14 AM

Can anybody explain me what to do? I don't want to downgrade my Mac OS and, as I see, es2 have to work. So, could somebody please help me?

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 20, 2020, 3:39:22 PM

Endless Space 2 has been 64-bit capable since release, but there are unfortunately still some problems with Catalina. Most of these relate to a 32-bit version of Mono (the framework that interprets the C# code) being used.

Quoting user L-Ryk from the Steam forums, you can try the following to fix this:

As I've got windows on bootcamp I wasn't too worried about downloading to see if it would run on Catalina, I can confirm it works fine ...

Steam isn't doing any favours by advertising this game doesn't work on Catailina... but you have to manually install mono and allow keyboard access after downloading from steam.

you do this by going to your install folder..
.../SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2/

and run the mono installer by double clicking on
MonoFramework-MDK-4.8.0.macos10.xamarin.universal.pkg

After installing mono you might need to allow EndlessSpace2.app to have keyboard access by adding it to Input Monitoring in "SystemSettings.app/Security & Privacy/Input Monitoring/"

All this has to be done by hand because the Steam installer doesn't do it's job properly.
Once done you can play Endless Space on Catalina without any issues.

Meanwhile Steam will continue to show the red warning message about 32bit apps not working.
You can ignore it and press the play button and it runs because actually Endless space is now a 64 bit app.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment