Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Game Problems with Intel iGPUs

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Feb 12, 2020, 1:13:13 AM

Its pretty obvious from all the crash reports that es2 has a problem with Intel integrate GPUs, especially the Iris Plus/Pro models, which are DX11 supported so should work fine. The Steam Store page also lists Intel HD4000 series gpus as supported, which are much older and less powerful than the Iris models. Has this been acknowledged from the devs? I've been looking through probably a dozen sets of crash logs and all of them that were not obvious issues have been from PC/Macs running Intel GPUs. I really want to play this game, but if this problem goes unacknowledged I am going to have to get a refund and encourage everyone else having these problems to do the same. Its unacceptable to have issues of this severity where you can't even get the game menu to load on such a common GPU platform.

I've been working with gpus and drivers since the days of voodoo gpus and MiniGL, so I consider myself really experienced at solving issues like this. This looks pretty clearly like an issue with the Unity Engine rendering pipeline, which is not specifically an issue with ES2, but have the devs tried updating their engine version from 5.5 to 5.6 to see if it resolves the issue? If that is not possible due to other issues, Have they tried working around whatever function in Unity is causing the crash?

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 12, 2020, 10:17:00 AM

We know about the issue, but unfortunately I don't have any news about the problem being resolved as of yet.

Some other users are suspecting the problem is related to this https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/openssl-sha-crash-bug-requires-application-update (and reported these steps solving the issue for all Unity games for them), but I have not received confirmation on that yet.

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 12, 2020, 6:32:44 PM

Are they suspecting that because it is known that ES2 is currently shipping with an affected version of OpenSSL, or just because they are finding similar symptoms? It should be pretty easy for an ES2 dev to check the OpenSSL version that is being used to confirm if ES2 could even be affected by this,

0Send private message
5 years ago
Feb 13, 2020, 3:52:07 PM

I posted this in the Endless Legend tech forums, as both EL and ES 2 were not working for me. Adding the environment variable solved it. I found the solution on the steam ES2 forums and Razer reddit. This applies to Intel 10th generation Ice Lake CPUs.

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/endless-legend/forums/13-tech-support/threads/35215-game-crashes-at-logo-screen-on-surface-pro-7?page=1#post-292942 

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment