Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Game stuck on loading screen, with mouse pointer and music.

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Apr 20, 2020, 9:33:07 PM

Hi guys, I'm not the most techie person in the world, but I usually hold my own, until now.

I have 213 hours on the game, recently bought and personally installed a new Win10 laptop - all updated, wanted to progress a Hiisho playthtrough, couldn't download from steam (same disk error with PDF files) so I brute forced the last 1,5 Gb, the game now starts but gets stuck on the loading screen, progress bar all the way filled up, with music and mouse pointer fully operational, does not go to menu screen. I've uninstalled and reinstalled about 2 or 3 times. Already tried to runs as admin, made docs files writable, tried windows 7 compatibility, disabling anti viruses, saw if I had visual C++ installed (have 2010/2012/2013/2015). Tried launching the game with the Geforce GTX 1660 Ti AND with the onboard Intel graphic, same result. Any ideas?

Strangely, I've noticed that if I press the space key, I can hear the menu chime as if I was accessing something on the unseen menu screen.

Just purchased 3 DLC's recently and now I can't even play those...

Any help is well appreciated, I know you guys have people like me always asking for help with these kind of things, but bare in mind I really truly love this game...

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 27, 2020, 12:04:07 AM

Already requested assistance from SEGA support, someone asked me if I'm sure that my graphic card has the latest drivers... Is this for real? Is SEGA support really that bad that they have to ask if I've already done something that was clearly stated on top of my email? Can anybody tell me how to get help for this? Am I in the wrong forum?

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 5:12:31 AM

Could you check out, what kind of Windows 10 version you make use of? To do so, right mouse click on start symbol on desktop, choose search and enter winver. Execute. Some people seem to have trouble, as long as Windows doesn't update correctly.

Some more ideas, what you didn't seem to check out, yet:

1) run Steam.exe - admin rights included

2) delete ES 2 registry file and try to start game

3) Go to your Steam Library, right click the name of the game, select Properties, click "Set Launch Options" in the "General" tab, and enter "-compat". Click "OK", close the window and launch the game

4) Go to your Steam Library, right click the name of the game, select Properties, click "Set Launch Options" in the "General" tab, and enter "-novideo". Click "OK", close the window and launch the game

5) download and install "K-Lite Codeq Pack Mega" and try to restart game

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 7:21:01 PM

Check if there is an Error Log, and if so post it. The log would be in Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2 then a folder with a date for a name.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 10:52:00 PM
Eulogos wrote:

Check if there is an Error Log, and if so post it. The log would be in Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Endless Space 2 then a folder with a date for a name.

Thank you so much for your response, Eulogos - much appreciated - I've checked the directory and there's no folders with dates... It's really strange because the game seems to be working *behind* the loading screen (if that makes sense). I can hear those menu sound effect chirps using the space bar or the mouse... Weird as hell...

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 11:34:20 PM
Groo wrote:

Could you check out, what kind of Windows 10 version you make use of? To do so, right mouse click on start symbol on desktop, choose search and enter winver. Execute. Some people seem to have trouble, as long as Windows doesn't update correctly.

Some more ideas, what you didn't seem to check out, yet:

1) run Steam.exe - admin rights included

2) delete ES 2 registry file and try to start game

3) Go to your Steam Library, right click the name of the game, select Properties, click "Set Launch Options" in the "General" tab, and enter "-compat". Click "OK", close the window and launch the game

4) Go to your Steam Library, right click the name of the game, select Properties, click "Set Launch Options" in the "General" tab, and enter "-novideo". Click "OK", close the window and launch the game

5) download and install "K-Lite Codeq Pack Mega" and try to restart game

Hi Groo, thank you ever so much for your troubleshooting advice - nice nickname choice there - I also eat up whatever Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier cough up to paper, especially said barbarian you honour. :)

My windows 10 version is 1909, OS Compilation 18363.778.

I've attempted your steps 1 and 2 - no joy. Funny that the registry file wasn't again generated by the system, isn't it? I can restore it, if need be, no worries.

Step 3 actually coudn't be followed because the launch options aren't actually there, there's a 'compatibility' tab that i've used in the past to start the game with windows Vista, 7 and 8 compatibility, but it didn't solve it either - anyway, I did try it again to be absolutely sure, nevertheless. In step 4 I had the exact same issue - no field where to actually type the command you provided, but I've tried to launch the game with both on-board intel GPU and the dedicated nvidia GTX 1660ti one, still to  no avail.

I've also downloaded and installed the Codec pack, same result. This game reaaally doesn't like my new machine... :/

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 11:51:14 PM

In case of registry file it should be downloaded automatically, in case you deleted it. I could imagine some kind of antivius software does block it- but sadly I'm no tech-expert. In your case I would uninstall your antivirus-software (by my choice using free "Revo uninstaller portable" to remove anything) and try to start Endless Space 2. Then reinstall your antivirus-software (in case you have one). Just an idea. Many people did have trouble with Endless Space 2 (and Endless Legend) and antivirus-software in the past.

Again, for the step 3) and 4) you just need to right mouse click on Endless Space 2 in your Steam library, choose the last option and follow the guide I offered. I really wonder why the option to enter the command(s) isn't displayed on your end.

Edit: Your Windows version is fine. Just wanted to make sure, it's not that kind of issue.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 28, 2020, 11:58:17 PM

IT WORKED. I was being an idiot and trying your instructions on the executable file, and you wanted me to do it on the steam file, i'm ridiculous '-compat' worked - you are a genius, Groo. I'll be forever in your debt you absolute wise sex symbol of a man. I was going to ask bloody steam to bloody refund me of the bloody DLC's and you worked it out. Thank you so much - this was doing my head in.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 29, 2020, 2:03:01 AM

Glad you could finally make it run. I digged for "good old solutions" from years ago, not even really knowing, if it could fit with your specs. Enjoy game! You're welcome.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 29, 2020, 4:53:43 PM

You bow to no man, you VIP of a person. I'm going to destroy the human homeworld in your honour, tonight. Destroy all humans.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Apr 29, 2020, 6:56:53 PM
cyanx7 wrote:

You bow to no man, you VIP of a person. I'm going to destroy the human homeworld in your honour, tonight. Destroy all humans.

Good luck!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment