Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
Endless Space 2
Universe banner wording

ENDLESS™ Space 2 is turn-based 4X space-strategy that launches players into the space colonization age of different civilizations within the ENDLESS™ Universe. Your Vision. Their Future.

Fuzzy text

Copied to clipboard!
4 years ago
Jul 11, 2020, 8:55:00 PM

Hi everyone! Newcomer here to the Endless universe, and am very impressed with the game (and Legend!) so far.

That being said, I've run up against a bit of an issue regarding resolution. I am trying to run the game at 1080p (or the equivalent for my aspect ratio), in order to get sharper text, but the text in ES2 doesn't seem to get sharper at higher resolutions. I've attached two screenshots, both at 1440x900, that show ES2 and EL's text respectively. EL's text is noticeably sharper at this resolution, and gets sharper the higher the resolution chosen, as you'd expect. ES2's text looks equally fuzzy at any resolution, even at the native 2560x1600. I have the game setting set to "fastest", although playing with this setting doesn't seem to fix the issue.

It's not bad, per se, but I was just curious if there was a way I could troubleshoot this. A quick google search heard FXAA might be causing this problem. No other issues with the game except for this.

I'm running this game on a late 2013 MacBook Pro on MacOS 10.15.5. Please let me know if any additional files would help diagnose the issue.

Thanks!

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 12, 2020, 11:30:23 AM

FXAA could very well be the culprit, try disabling it and see if that fixes it.

If it does you may be able to use an alternative anti-aliasing feature from your graphics card rather than in game. If you have an Nvidia graphics card, which I think you do you can go to your Nvidia control panel and find the section "Manage 3D settings". Then switch from 'Global Settings' to 'Program Settings' and select 'Endless Legend'. While there you can enable 'Image Sharpening', as well as 'Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA)', which you may prefer to FXAA.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 13, 2020, 12:04:45 AM

I don't have a dedicated card on this Mac - I'm running on integrated graphics only. On my PC with a dedicated card this issue does not present itself. Also, I wonder if this is specific to the rendering/font engine for ES2, because EL looks great and works just fine on this Mac.

How do I disable FXAA in Endless Space 2? It seems like there is only the option for overall graphics settings - all settings from "Fastest" to "Beautiful" (or whatever the highest setting is) still result in fuzzy text. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 13, 2020, 2:37:10 PM

I'm not actually certain how you can do that if you don't have access to Nvidia control panel. I don't think that there is any setting that controls it, either in game or in a .ini file.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 13, 2020, 2:54:28 PM

It looks like internal renderer uses rendering resolution lower then screen, as not only text is fuzzy. 

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 1:24:23 AM

Sublustris, you may be right. Here's what the game - running at 2560x1600 on a 13.3in screen - looks like. It doesn't look like the game is rendering at a higher resolution. 

How would I bring this up to Amplitude, just to see if they have any idea what might be causing this?

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 1:48:43 AM

From what I know about Unity, it might be trying to stretch the font to fit the screen, but the font isn't set to dynamically adapt the font size to your resolution. Does changing UI scaling help with this at all? If not, simply posting it here was a good way to get Amplitude to see the bug. This would also explain the icons being fuzzy, as many instances of them are loaded from a font.

Updated 4 years ago.
0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 2:45:33 AM

That might be it! I fiddled with custom UI settings, and the higher the UI scale chosen, the better it looks. Unfortunately, at 100% (max) UI scale - which is also what the default "adaptive UI" chooses - it looks like it does above. Lower UI scales, however, result in more blurry text. Is there a way to change the font/icons to circumvent this issue? 

Yeah, the icons look particularly bad as well. This might also explain the discrepancy with EL, since EL uses a pretty unique text (afaik) whilst ES2's font looks like a generic helvetica etc.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 5:28:10 AM

Well that doesn't explain why planets (3D graphics) and Art (2D graphics) are pixilated.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 7:33:50 AM

Oh strange, I didn't notice that. Seeing how what I suggested help, I still suspect it's regarding scaling.

0Send private message
4 years ago
Jul 14, 2020, 8:36:35 PM

What should I do from here? It seems like higher UI scaling helps - at least for font and building icons - but I can't get above the highest 100%, which is what it originally was. Not too sure what to do about the resolution and all. It might be a new bug, since they recently updated the game to work better on MacOS catalina, which is what this thing runs.

Thanks for the help guys!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment
0Send private message