Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Finding the Academy Quest

Quests

8 years ago
Dec 6, 2016, 4:59:03 PM

Right now, the Academy can be found by simply having a probe travel through the system.  Given the history and information about the Academy in game, they don't want to be easily found.  Also, it's very difficult to complete the quest to get all the atmospheric anomalies before someone has found the Academy with a probe.

Instead, make it so that the Academy cannot be found by a probe launched to travel the galaxy, but instead requires a ship to be in system to find the Academy (make it an probe-able anomaly that requires the higher computing power of a survey ship in system to find).

Either remove the quest chain entirely from the game or make it a race to see who can get a survey ship in system first to find it after passing up the quest chain (so it only fails when another faction actually gets a ship in the Academy's system and probes the anomaly first).

Updated 2 hours ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Given how important discovering the Academy is to unlocking more heroes, we have ultimately settled on not making it harder to find, even though we admit it diminishes the mystery of the academy a bit.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Dec 8, 2016, 6:31:41 PM

I like your idea. Hiding the Academy under a Curiosity signal would be a good way of making the 'Find the Academy' quest more relevant, though honestly that quest is hard enough as it is - just like with the Vodyani 'find 5 ruins' quest, getting that large a number of Curiosity types in a normal sized galaxy before they all get searched by rivals can be very difficult, especially with pirate fleets.

Perhaps it should be a cooperative quest - throughout the galaxy, six (or a higher, uneven number) Signal Curiosities need to be uncovered, and the faction that searched the most Signals in this way gets the reward.

Another way to make the Academy quest more meaningful would be to hide the Academy under a level 2 Curiosity, meaning that players could detect it but not discover it in the early game without completing the quest (or being Sophon, and wasting a lot of early research time on the tier 2 curiosity tech).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 9, 2016, 6:10:24 PM

It even could be as hidden as Asimov's Foundation: pretending to be "just a poor colony" without hints about its real purpose. Then there is no such (one) Curiosity that can unhide Academy - but number of Curiosities to find the trace of not-really-minor faction

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 10, 2016, 3:40:32 AM

It could also be an unconnected system, that you can't find (even with probes) until the "Tracking Down" step has been completed.  Placed as centrally on the map as possible, too, so everyone has a roughly equal chance to find it.

0Send private message

Must have

The MUST HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would really like to have in the game.

SpaceTroll

DEV SpaceTroll

status updated 8 years ago

too easy to find the academy, I agree. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 26, 2016, 10:44:07 PM

And the research for the academy embassy seems useless. Someone will found it before you build the embassy.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 21, 2017, 11:54:40 PM

The whole "6 atmospheric curiosities" is very out of touch right now. In most of my games I can't even find 6 atmospherics to probe in both my constellation and the centre one, and I'm in the centre by turn 15!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Mar 25, 2017, 3:42:20 PM

6 atmospheric curiosities is impossible in most games.  How about a large number of curiosities (50) adjusted for system size or

0Send private message
7 years ago
Apr 4, 2017, 7:58:50 AM

Either this shouldn't be a fail for the lucky Empire that finds the Academy by chance. Or, my recommended option, 'lock' that Curiosity to a Quest - namely, 'Rumor of an Academy'. Then nobody can discover the Academy, even if they settle the planet, until the Quest has been Completed. Also, if the planet has been blown up, let's have a graphic for that, rather than the 'Toxic' planet.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 23, 2017, 11:47:16 PM

Personally I think the best way to make finding the academy more difficult is to not provide a highlight of the three places it might be. That's after making it unmarked until you know what you're looking for (the finding the anomalies part.)

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 30, 2017, 10:46:48 PM
Rakabar wrote:

my recommended option, 'lock' that Curiosity to a Quest - namely, 'Rumor of an Academy'. Then nobody can discover the Academy, even if they settle the planet

I think this is a good idea as it will also give another dmension for this quest which seeùs appaering from nomwhere and drive the player expansion in the direction of the mark .

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 8, 2018, 8:07:41 PM

100% Agree that academy is too easy to find and also have to mention that AI on high difficulties still complete quest with anomalies to damn fast :P

0Send private message
6 years ago
Aug 18, 2018, 7:44:29 PM

Agree.

I feel the entire Academy questline is still a little anticlimatic. 

- One can build the Academy Embasy(or what ever the system improvement is called) before even finding the Academy.

- For once its too easy to find the Academy early in game. 

- Owning the Academy is does not provides us with any new game mechanics, only a hero recruitment time reduction and some information about who owns what hero. Thus fighting for controll of the system is usually not an interesting option.

- The defending the Accademy from rogue Vodyani quest (not sure if random mission or part of the Academy quest line) not always spawns on each playtrhough. Thus most people miss up on some Academy related and lore-building quest. 

- The Destroying/Securing the nodes part simply drags out for too long with the AI(both friends and foes) simply camping on the nodes with hero-less fleets and not even atacking eachother.

- The ending leaves a lot to be speculated. So what happens if we resusitate the Lost? Nothing. What happens if we dont resusitate them? Nothing(althouhg this is fine in this scenario).

It needs more to it :/ 

0Send private message
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Given how important discovering the Academy is to unlocking more heroes, we have ultimately settled on not making it harder to find, even though we admit it diminishes the mystery of the academy a bit.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment