I think it would be good, if you could see your relationships with all Factions in the game at one screen. Because of that i suggest that Minor Factions, the Pirate League and the Academy are added to the Diplomacy screen and that their own Diplomacy screens should be acceseble by clicking on them like Major Factions. The space that is the pressure bar for Major factions could be the relation bars for Minor Factions and the pirate league. The sovereign of a Minor Faction could be indicated by his faction symbol appearing on the relation bar or next to the Minor Factions symbol. When a Minor Faction gets assimilated all fades exept for the faction symbol which would be replaced by the souvereigns symbol. If it gets destroyed it would work like destoyed Major Factions do. The same would apply to the Pirate League. For the Academy this realtion bar space would only contain symbols with a matching colour beneath it:

? and transparent for unexplored

the neutral symbol from Minor Factions and grey after you found it

the war symbol and red if you joined the Protectors

the alliance symbol and blue if you joined the Rejuvenators

and the souvereign symbol from Minor Factions with grey, blue or red when you own the sytem

I also think the Academy should have its own Diplomacy screen where you can look at Isyanders beautiful non existent face and hear him talking shit about how we have to recreate the galaxy and so on (also his voice is awesome). Of course it would be nice if there where actually things to negostiate with him. Maybe funding the Academy for faster recruitment of heroes or bringing the end quest nearer or something like that.

I just think it is weird that you see this guy on the loading screen, the trailer and in some cinematics being important, but you don't see much of him during the game. I think it would be cool if he actually would pop up in a Diplomacy message when for example the Vodyani rebels attack the Academy or the Engame Quest begins and tells you what he wants from you.