Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

More Visual Feedback for planet GUIs

System ManagementGUI

8 years ago
Feb 8, 2017, 5:31:08 PM

One of my main complaints about Endless Space 1 was that there was a real lack of visual feedback about the worlds I was influencing and colonizing and yet in Endless Legend there wasn't ever an upgrade you could add to the cities without seeing them grow and change - as a result I enjoy EL far more than ES. When adding upgrades to the system, all you know is that something is happening. But you never see it except for more boxes added to the 'active enhancements' panel to the right of the construction panel to the left. But when you look at the worlds themselves, they are completely unchanged. Let me show you something. Take a look at this actual orbital image of the night-side of earth taken in 2012.

Click here.

From this image you can make out major population centres from city-lights.

So what I'm suggesting is that as population rises, there is a visual increase of cities on the surface which are visible on the night side of the planet as it rotates on the system menu screen and the planetary menu screen. Likewise other upgrades should make visual changes to the planet. There are many ways this can be represented. Orbital Tethers connecting the surface to a space station, satellites orbiting, planet circling facilities like the Halo stations, planetary shielding and merchant ships seen entering and exiting orbit. There is an endless list of ways that an upgrade could make the player see that their choice did make a difference which is far better than just seeing numbers increase in the UI.

(edit: corrected title to simplified version)

Updated 2 days ago.
0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

As the population on a planet rises, it does show more cities on the night side, more civilian traffic in orbit, and more space stations.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Feb 14, 2017, 4:40:46 PM

This is an excellent suggestion, and was one of my subconcious critiques of ES1. I was half-expecting to see some sort of relevant visual variation in the planetscape as colonies thrive (or die off).

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 1, 2017, 10:17:12 PM

Regarding your first half of the post - ES 1 did not have that until later on in the game's life, where you could actually see an increase in number of activities on the planet. Most noticeably with Sowers who lived on low orbit space stations and at max level population would actually have a much bigger station visible.

I'll admit I'm missing stuff like this in ES2.

0Send private message

Nice to have

The NICE TO HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Sep 17, 2018, 11:16:08 AM

Would also be nice to actually see buildings we build.
For example when Vaulters make a portal, you can't see it but it's just.. there..

0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

As the population on a planet rises, it does show more cities on the night side, more civilian traffic in orbit, and more space stations.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment