Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Fleet designer

MilitaryShip Design

8 years ago
Feb 21, 2017, 1:29:02 PM

tldr:

Add an option to create ship compositions from your ship designs, i.e. a fleet template.

A fleet template can be used to produce whole fleets instead of ordering individual ships and also replenish fleets with the appropriate ships if you have taken losses.

Inspiration:

The army builder from EU4 with "The Art of War"

Requirements:

1) A menu where:

-you can allocate ship designs towards your fleet command cap, i.e. create a fleet template

-update existing fleet templates (e.g. when you increased the fleet command cap)

-set preferences* for fleet production (how many systems contribute to fleet construction, should only idle systems be used etc.).

2) once a fleet is produced the ships should converge on the system you ordered the fleet in (or better yet introduce rally points) and merge into the fleet

3) a fleet order to replace losses. instead of looking up what ships you lost, going to a nearby planet and ordering a new ship and manually flying it to the fleet, you just click the reinforce button and it will order the missing ship/ships from appropriate* systems and they automatically fly to the fleet and merge with it once they are build.

*the choice of the right systems is crucial, ideally you want a smart system that chooses systems that are nearby and have appropriate production levels and are not busy with some priority production, e.g. building a wonder. this is mostly up to the designers to get right. i will not go into further details because this will bloat the idea needlessly.

Updated 13 days ago.
0Send private message

Wishlisted

The WISHLISTED status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

I agree with Jhell that this would have been a great QoL feature, but I'm afraid that at this point it is out of scope.

Keeping it wishlisted for reference in future projects, however.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Feb 21, 2017, 6:39:04 PM

Fantastic idea!

*the choice of the right systems is crucial, ideally you want a smart system that chooses systems that are nearby and have appropriate production levels and are not busy with some priority production, e.g. building a wonder. this is mostly up to the designers to get right

I think it would be best to just make a pop-up menu with a list of ships that are going to be built and the proposed systems that will build them. Once there, the player would be able to change the proposed systems.

Ideally, I'd also like the ability to change the composition of a fleet right there. Lets say I notice that after each battle I lose a particular type of ship, I decide that it's actually not that great and would like to swap it to something else. I would then change the "rebuild" choice to a different ship, which would then prompt a question if this is a one-time change or a fleet template change.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 25, 2017, 12:02:28 AM

Good QoL suggestion.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Mar 3, 2017, 3:18:33 AM

I'd recommend something similar to Ashes of the Singularity. Where instead of having a fixed "template", which may be difficult/frustrating to setup and edit, you can simply order any vehicle for a fleet from the fleet menu.

0Send private message

Wishlisted

The WISHLISTED status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

jhell

DEV jhell

status updated 7 years ago

This would definitely by a QoL feature.
0Send private message

Wishlisted

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

I agree with Jhell that this would have been a great QoL feature, but I'm afraid that at this point it is out of scope.

Keeping it wishlisted for reference in future projects, however.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment