Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
6 years ago
Apr 19, 2018, 4:17:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm somewhat new, so forgive me if this idea has already been put forward (but I did have a look around, couldn't find anything).

I think "peaceful" victories are often the most interesting as they represent a way to achieve goals in a somewhat non-traditional sense (in sort they add some good variety). There are already aspects in the game that allow you to affect (and gain from) the universal systems that all players can access (tax the market etc). What I propose is what is essentially a "Space UN", an organisation/building/improvement/none of those things that allows players to interact with each other in sneakier and not-so-sneakier ways (espionage *ahem*). 

The idea would be that each faction (both minor and major) would be represented at this "Space UN" where you could pass laws, enact proposals etc. 

Mechanics:

• A certain tech or tech level would unlock the ability to build the Space Station that the "Space UN" would use to hold gatherings etc. Perhaps there would be gains for having that Space Station in one of your systems? Maybe you could enact a law to have the station moved - to negate or gain that gain? Perhaps it isn't such a gain if building the station means everyone is aware of where it is?
  • Each faction would have representatives that would vote for or against actions according to their ideology. Perhaps for major factions they could control where their votes went directly... but I'm not sure if it would be more or less interesting to be at the whims of the ideology of your populace (think of the Senate - although this would hamper vote trading?). These actions would have a big range in scope, such as automatic sanctions against those that invade minor factions, banning core-crackers, etc
  • I'm unsure about the mechanics of who is part of the UN at the start. It doesn't make sense for every civilisation to immediately be present if you haven't found them all... Is it a chained mechanic where "I've met you and you've met her so she's joining us as well" - would that be affected by wars? Why invite your enemy to a multi-faction peace summit?
  • Perhaps you could ignore certain actions at the cost of representation on the Space UN ... Galactic Council? (I like that better) Or even reprisals (both military or economic)
  • Actions are proposed at each summit (every ? turns). Everyone has a limited number of actions they can propose - perhaps every gets one but the host gets two? Perhaps this can be altered via actions? There would be an opportunity to allow factions to interact and effectively trade votes (I don't try and ban core crackers and you back me as the new host etc).

"But wait, I like to win via [WHATEVER], how does this help me?"

Possible types of Galactic Council actions:

• Banning certain resources from the market or entirely
  • Banning certain improvements or modules partially or entirely
  • Banning the market? Or certain aspects of it?
  • Enacting unilateral aims to achieve something (perhaps in the form of quests to hold a Galactic Games or a united effort to recreate some Endless Experiment with rewards Influence or Science)
  • Improvements/Modules/Tech only available following an action (embassies for instance?)
  • Condemnations of certain actions such as: unlawful wars/annexation, taxation of the market, use of certain warfare strategies (conscription and core-cracker)
  • Prevention of a system being usurped through influence (sick of unfallen friends/allies slowly taking my systems through "peaceful means".
  • FORCED dissemination of techs
  • Creation of DMZs
  • Peaceful transfer of populations and/or heroes
  • Intergalactic projects (creating a planet sized space station as the new home of the G.C. in a chosen system where everyone can put resources towards to achieve etc)
  • AND MORE!

The idea would be to make diplomacy and faction interaction a more significant feature, in such a way that in can still assist/hamper any victory type. 

(Yes there are features and aspects I ignore or gloss over, for instance how many representatives does each faction get? Is it equal to the size of the empire? Does everyone get the same number, regardless? Maybe that can all be affected by actions?)

Thanks for reading! Or...

TD;DR 

Space UN where you can fight to pass actions and increase your whatever and decrease their whatever and react to the galactic-goings-on.

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
6 years ago
Apr 22, 2018, 2:43:34 PM

I really like this idea. At first I thought it would be just an upgraded Alliance system, but after reading I see it's a lot more. I can imagine the politics of an 8 Player massive game with multiple alliances trying to vote for things that would aid their party, choosing to compromise if they need to. It might be a bit complex, but after a short while I believe people would get a hang of it. And with the next expansion bringing in an espionage based faction that I'm sure will cause lots of trouble behind the scenes, and open doors council to help other factions seems like a natural addition.

Plus, I imagine the mayhem that would ensue from political assassinations of Council representatives.

0Send private message
6 years ago
May 6, 2018, 5:51:48 PM

Yes, although it does involve the same subject matter of diplomacy, it takes it all in a new direction.

You're right, it's not the simplest idea but with the right streamlining and interfaces it should be a pretty accessible mechanic.

0Send private message
6 years ago
Oct 4, 2018, 8:22:46 PM

This would be great! Also maybe victory by majority vote based on population?

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment