Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Victory/defeat narration

ScreenMultiplayerVictoryNarrative

8 years ago
Dec 9, 2016, 10:56:05 PM

It will be great if we have victory/defeat cinematic outros defined by the situation at the end of the game. For example, if you lost but your dust output was the greatest in the galaxy and your faction was not the leader's adversary (i.e. in peace or alliance with the leader), it would be integrated into the future pan-galactic empire as a financial centre. In addition, I propose to show such lore-wise information about the future of all the factions in the score screen. If the potential winner wants to see all the other factions bloodily eliminated in the long view, he/she may declare wars at the last turn (this may lead to failing specific win conditions though!).

If the described idea turns out to be too complicated for the Devs, I will also welcome a more simple implementation like a slide show or just a text, but at the moment I will hope for true cinematics.

This element could make multiplayer end-game far more interesting because the other players can choose to challenge the frontrunner or try to earn his/her favour. At the moment, the only rational strategy in the end-game is competition with a potential winner; any other behaviour is usually a pure role-playing.

Moreover, such victory/defeat narration will discourage some players from rage-quitting because being the #1 ceases to be the only favourable outcome to struggle for. 

In addition, a player's reputation (relations with other empire leaders) becomes more important with such ending narration which contributes to a deeper and more realistic diplomacy.

I also believe that this way is more realistic and fair to the winner than a classic allied victory.

Technocrate is talking on a similar topic:

https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/ideas/108-end-of-the-game-more-glorious-and-interesting-after-victory

Update 07.02.2017

As required by SpaceTroll, here is a specification (the text below is my proposal, not the current state of the game):

It is implied that victory means "Securing galactic dominance for your people for a long period in the future" and defeat means "your people is in a danger of extinction/slavery/miserable existence for a long period in the future"

Whenever a game ends, a player can have one of 3 statuses:

1) He/she loses

2) He/she wins

3) He/she partially loses

Whenever a game ends, each player sees a video clip with subtitles and a flavour text. A video consists of three parts: 

1) History - visuals depend on the winner's affinity and show various scenes with representatives of the winning race, architecture, space ships. Subtitles shortly describe the most dramatic events of this faction: the first colonized planet, major wars, deeds, civil wars, government change, etc. 

2) Victory - visuals depend on the victory condition. Subtitles explain why this victory condition will allow the faction to dominate across the galaxy. Here is a list of such texts for ES1: http://endlessspace.wikia.com/wiki/Victory . There is no text for the Score victory, but I believe the idea is that "The level of development and glory of your empire act as a strong soft power urging population and elites of other factions voluntarily join your empire. Wherever it is not enough, hard power enters the stage".

3) Other factions' fate - if a faction loses, but (1) it was the closest to a victory condition (other than the one that led to the end of the game) and (2) it had peace or alliance with the winner, your empire territory joins the winner's faction on relatively beneficial terms and your people's elite partially join the winner faction's elite: Conquest and Supremacy - defence industry centre and military elite; Science - scientific centre and elite; Economy - financial centre and elite; Wonder - civic industry centre and elite (or religious/cultural? not sure what the "Wonder" is); Score - zone of limited self-regulation and various elites. A short footage is shown for each such faction. Subtitles name these factions. For the factions that failed to fulfil the both requirements (including factions that did not survive to the end), visuals show ruins and deprived people. Subtitles name these factions. The winner should be allowed to declare war on any faction before the game ends.

After the video, a score window emerges with the text of the subtitles and score details of all the factions.

I hope it is clearer now :)

Updated 2 months ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

While we have different outros depending on the Academy Quest, a post-game narration as detailed as this is beyond the vision of ES2.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Dec 14, 2016, 11:02:33 PM

I really love the lore potential for this.  And the improvements you highlighted for multi-player are tangible and potentially imperative.

Sounds like a lot of work though, maybe packaged with some additional DLC gameplay features?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 16, 2016, 5:48:47 PM
AquaticSonarKey wrote:

I really love the lore potential for this.  And the improvements you highlighted for multi-player are tangible and potentially imperative.

Sounds like a lot of work though, maybe packaged with some additional DLC gameplay features?

Hi, AquaticSonarKey!

I understand your concerns, but here is the idea and lets look where it will lead to. I personally agree to wait more for the release or sacrifice some other visual content in the sake of idea above.

However, what I described is a maximum of ambitions. The idea could be implemented in a more simple form than a true cinematic outro like a slide show or just a text.

0Send private message

Need infos

The NEED INFO status is given by the dev team to ideas that have been evaluated as not complete or clear enough to give a relevant feedback.

SpaceTroll

DEV SpaceTroll

status updated 8 years ago

I am not sure to understand... can you elaborate?

0Send private message
0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 13, 2017, 12:09:29 PM

A thousand times yes to this idea if you ask me! 

0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

While we have different outros depending on the Academy Quest, a post-game narration as detailed as this is beyond the vision of ES2.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment