Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
8 years ago
Dec 18, 2016, 8:11:36 PM

Right now the AI seems to have the same tendency as the Endless Legend AI did, which is to follow a rather nonsensical and unclear "generic" gameplan. Dredging up memories of Drakken and Roving Clans, factions which are ostensibly peaceful or trade based will not research trade, will not initiate trade, will not provide trade research to other factions, and will find trade deals and diplomacy in general to be offensive without the addition of large amounts of resources which they are unlikely to use.

My suggestion is to take the various faction personality traits, and tie them to clear goals and plans that the AI can perform, such as initiating diplomacy or trade on their own or otherwise breaking from their current behavior of constantly deteriorating foreign relations. Also, let the AI recognize when something is mutually beneficial, instead of just finding all deals to be universally distasteful. Take a page from Civ on this one, and instead of making the AI smart, make it characterful.

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

This has been implemented. Each AI has up to three personality traits that influence the way they play and the goals they pursue.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 12:58:42 AM

Glad to see someone put this to words.   I'd wondered about it, but not enough to say 'hey...  this seems a bit off'.

Currently, the player has to know ahead of time and plan for the belligerence of all AI, whether Sophon (typically peaceful), or Lumeris (trade based).   I plot out my research accordingly so that my diplomacy kicks in pretty early in game so I can keep them 'actually peaceful'.

Granted, I've noted that some races are far more aggressive in their initial contacts, but have had Sophons and Lumeris both attack me very early in game  (my planets, not just wandering ships).

0Send private message
8 years ago
Dec 19, 2016, 11:32:08 AM

Love the way you've shaped it:

... a rather nonsensical and unclear "generic" gameplan ...

... finding all deals to be universally distasteful ...

This idea should get some good attention, as AI in its current form is "NOT that good". We are at the very beginning, though. Can't improve AI before tech tree and planet grid are in their final state, guess, we should expect changes to AI in update 3, not earlier.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 13, 2017, 6:29:07 AM

Building a smarter AI is always a challenge. 

Usually, the default for increased difficulty is place penalties on player factions and bonuses on AI factions for construction, etc. AI forces tend to be comprised of many units and, so far in ES2, the fleets are 'dumb'. Lots of ships that attack in waves, rather than as mass fleets - which makes them much easier to defeat. Also, in a recent bug post (https://www.games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/114-bug-reports/thread/23771-ai-doesn-t-spend-hero-points), I noted that the AI doesn't seem to be spending their Hero experience points. And when you take over their systems, they always seem to be underdeveloped.

I agree with WimeSTone - hopefully we will see smarter AI behaviour in Update 3. Give the Devs a chance

0Send private message

Must have

The MUST HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would really like to have in the game.

SpaceTroll

DEV SpaceTroll

status updated 7 years ago

this is clearly our goal. I think we will have it for the game's release
0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

This has been implemented. Each AI has up to three personality traits that influence the way they play and the goals they pursue.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment