Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified
5 years ago
Jul 29, 2019, 7:51:53 AM

I often say that Endless Legend and Endless Space are of exemplary ergonomics, and that is one of the strong qualities of these games.
However, when playing very often, long-term ergonomic deficiencies appear, sometimes very annoying, in some areas.
This is the kind of problem that is difficult for developers to anticipate, and only appears after many hours of play.

In the middle and at the end of the game, taking care of the heroes becomes very heavy and very painful in terms of micro-management.
Each turn, notification pop-ups appear asking to increase the skills of one or more heroes.
The idea I propose is to treat hero skills as technologies and as the build order of improvments are treated in a star system.
Put them in a queue!

Here is what it would look like:

Note: when the player puts a skill in the queue that he has not yet unlocked, there is no need to grey it in the queue.

(I put it grey on my example screen because I had no choice, I just copied and pasted the icon).

SIMPLE OPERATION: If the player has no skill points to allocate, then, as soon as he clicks on a Skill, it puts him in the queue.

DRAG AND DROP SKILLS: The queue can be managed as for technologies, by moving icons, to reorder.

VERY IMPORTANT: As long as a hero has skills in his queue, no notification popup appears to indicate that he has increased his level!

ADDITIONAL IDEA : provide a checkbox "total automatisation".

In this case, the hero is managed like the star system when you click the analog option. 

The game will choose the heroes' Skills itself.
If the hero is assigned to a fleet, he prioritizes combat and travel skills.
If the hero is assigned to a star system, he prioritizes production and resource skills.
If no skill is valid, it prioritizes neutral skills or decreasing the cost of the hero.
If finally, no skill can be chosen, a random skill is chosen.

Updated 24 days ago.
0Send private message

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
5 years ago
Aug 8, 2019, 3:59:50 PM

I have an additional comment : during multiplayer games, players really need as automatisation they could get.

With limited turn time, they don't have enough time to take care of all. Endless Space look even more like a RTS !

0Send private message
5 years ago
Aug 10, 2019, 5:51:45 PM

While I don't entirely agree with the desire to have a largely automatic game, I do like the idea of being able to set a specific skillpath for my heroes!

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment