Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Rewarding Diplomacy: Tourism and sightseeing

PopulationPoliticsDiplomacyEconomyExplorationMinor FactionsFactions

8 years ago
Jan 14, 2017, 5:27:22 PM

The basic idea is to implement buildings and/or special places like e.g. nebulas, ... which are interesting for races and attract people of other races and factions.

So if another empire is able to see your planet or system with an interesting attraction on it, population of closer systems are likely to visit and if they do and the empire still decides to attack this system, it will have to deal with the results (e.g. disagreement) maybe even the loss of their own population points. That would lead to the interesting situation that a highly agressive empire would even try to avoid to get to know too many systems too early, because that way they could avoid tourism and losses on their own planets, when they attack such a system.

Additionaly other empires might want to defend your system in order to defend their own people and possible benefits, plus, if they lose e.g. population to an attack on such a system, they might respond to the agressor with diplomatic consequences.

In order to make tourism more attractive to empires there could be benefits for visiting as well as for the owning empires and the upkeep of such places could vary strongly depending on the positive/negative sideeffects for the owner.

I thought this might be an interesting idea for a gameplay that does not rely on heavy battleships, but rather diplomatic effects and would make diplomatic interaction more attractive even for agressive empires.

The reason for this idea:

I love to play ES1, but one thing that seems to be a bit flawed in 4x games, especially if you play against AI, is the static diplomatic system. If you play an empire that has a peaceful nature, you still need a decent fleet all the time, because otherwise the AI seems to only see you as a target (even other "peaceful" empires). Even bribing the most peaceful species into peace with tons of dust and other ressources only works until they decide after 20 turns of trading, that suddenly you are not usefull enough anymore and declare war.

Seeing the need of making diplomatic relations not too easy, I found it annoying to build a superiour fleet with the sophons in order to ensure my scientific victory, and after a while I tended to play the craver empire all the time, because I was tired ot the static diplomacy.

With a system that grants unequal benefits to empires, the whole thing could become more interesting.

If for example the owner of a system would get a little bit of dust and/or influence for each visitor, from a touristic attraction he claimed there, the visiting empire could get a bonus in production or science, because his workers can take a motivating break from building one thing after the other or find inspiration for their scientific work by visiting cultural places, ....

All in all this still wouldn t make fleets abundant, but logical decisions made by human and AI players, could tend to the benefits of peace more likely. Plus, I think it would be a very immersive feature.

Feel free to discuss, point out mistakes, and improve this idea.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Managing tourism like this goes a bit beyond the scope of population management in ES2.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Jan 15, 2017, 10:56:37 AM

Hi! 

Nice idea, there could be a research which unlocks a system improvement which allows tourism on nearby systems. And if you have an aggressive faction you could just not do the research. 

Or tourism could be a defeault thing and the research could be about forbidding it (with an happiness decrease on the system).

Tourism would be obviously forbidden during cold war.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 15, 2017, 11:06:13 AM
Bergo wrote:

Hi! 

Nice idea, there could be a research which unlocks a system improvement which allows tourism on nearby systems. And if you have an aggressive faction you could just not do the research. 

Or tourism could be a defeault thing and the research could be about forbidding it (with an happiness decrease on the system).

Tourism would be obviously forbidden during cold war.

Yeah I was thinking about options like this, too. Maybe forbidding tourism for attractions of specific empires could even be an option you can freely trigger once researched, but with certain consequences for your population (not only happiness, but maybe also political movements or something like that). Thank you for your support and ideas. I hope we can collect even more ideas.

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 16, 2017, 9:59:56 AM

Another thought: I think this feature would work well with the quest and political system, because it could justify even more minor and major Factions to immigrate to your Empire due to an attractive society.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 18, 2017, 6:11:00 PM

Thanks for the support! I didn t think it would get more than 80000 Points in four days.  I am still eager to hear your thoughts, critical and thoughtful posts are welcome.

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 17, 2017, 6:58:12 AM

Here's a question for you. Would these be:

A) 'Man' built things like theme parks

B) Natural Wonders (like, say, The Grand Canyon)

C) A bit of A and B

And a thought: If we go with B or C, then what if catastrophic events occur that damage or even destroy the natural wonder? You could suddenly find yourself in a bad way. Adds a nice little risk, don't you think? Heck, even something like vandalism or a killing spree could shut down your amusement parks for a few turns.

I like this idea. 

0Send private message
8 years ago
Feb 19, 2017, 6:47:26 AM
HangedMan wrote:

C) A bit of A and B

And a thought: If we go with B or C, then what if catastrophic events occur that damage or even destroy the natural wonder? You could suddenly find yourself in a bad way. Adds a nice little risk, don't you think? Heck, even something like vandalism or a killing spree could shut down your amusement parks for a few turns.

I like this idea. 

Well my idea was something like C. So there are a few sights you can build after research in some areas (not too many though and like wonders only once per game or so [maybe even wonders could be sights in this sense ]).

And there are some you find in the universe like nebulas etc. that you have to make available to the people by building a harbour, touristic centre, name it :).

And maybe a third type you only have to find and integrate into your empire via a colony in the system or influence.

There are so many possibilities thats why I m very glad about your comment. You are right about the events (they could trigger choices like contain something or still leave the attraction open with a risk), I also thought about sabotage and espionage, but thats maybe a bit far fetched in the current game.

Thank you for the liking and keep me busy asking and arguing. ;)

Updated 8 years ago.
0Send private message

Nice to have

The NICE TO HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

Dagart

DEV Dagart

status updated 7 years ago

The status of this idea has been changed to NICE TO HAVE as it we hope to implement it in our game.

interesting to keep in mind to create more stuff around our population gameplay

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 30, 2017, 7:06:43 PM
HangedMan wrote:

C) A bit of A and B

I like this idea. 

This really is a good idea! I am all about making non-military victories more fun (even though crushing your enemies is fun), and this would be a great way to implement that. I could definitely see this being tied into exo-tourism, netting you more dust from surrounding nodes based on the anomlies of the system, the wonders (such as EndlessWorld), the unique improvements (Culture Center), and whether or not your system has a higher approval. In exchange for the dust/influence you are essentially taking from other systems, those populations are now happier!

And as has been said previously, there could be a way for other empires to shut off the flow of tourism through either cold war status or closing borders, although this would necessarily impact the happiness of that empire's system(s).

Great idea HBumbleBee!

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jul 1, 2017, 1:43:24 PM
Eridanus wrote:
HangedMan wrote:

C) A bit of A and B

I like this idea. 

This really is a good idea! I am all about making non-military victories more fun (even though crushing your enemies is fun), and this would be a great way to implement that. I could definitely see this being tied into exo-tourism, netting you more dust from surrounding nodes based on the anomlies of the system, the wonders (such as EndlessWorld), the unique improvements (Culture Center), and whether or not your system has a higher approval. In exchange for the dust/influence you are essentially taking from other systems, those populations are now happier!

And as has been said previously, there could be a way for other empires to shut off the flow of tourism through either cold war status or closing borders, although this would necessarily impact the happiness of that empire's system(s).

Great idea HBumbleBee!

Thank you for your comment and support. :)

0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

Managing tourism like this goes a bit beyond the scope of population management in ES2.

0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment