Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Make Laws Effective The Next Turn

MultiplayerGovernmentLaws

8 years ago
Jan 19, 2017, 6:19:21 PM

I think it's really cool how, let's say, Cravers are able to change their active laws on a whim at no influence cost. But at the same time, I think the ability to make laws active the current (and not the next) turn makes for unhealthy gameplay.

One's ability to change laws during a single turn sort of diminishes the point of having only 1 active law slot, as one can change it to receive a "real-time event" bonus and then change it again to receive an "end of turn" bonus, without having to actually choose.

I'm not sure if it is accounted for when balancing the game, but even if it is, I believe it might feel compulsory to some players and just, you know, feel awkward and a bit too "game-y", especially in multiplayer. Let's maybe take a look at the way laws work right now.

Updated 4 months ago.
0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

We have implemented a restriction on cancelling the laws on the turn they are passed, and many of them only apply their effect the following turn.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
8 years ago
Jan 21, 2017, 8:32:43 AM

Absolutely. I was also thinking if some more universal/powerful laws should even take several turns to become active?

0Send private message
8 years ago
Jan 26, 2017, 7:29:39 PM

I agree. If a hero has a cool-down when assigned, then so should laws.  For instance, making a newly-selected law have a cool-down of one turn would eliminate exploiting the Craver's trait of having no influence cost.

FuzzyDunlop wrote:

Absolutely. I was also thinking if some more universal/powerful laws should even take several turns to become active?

Yep, sounds like that would add a nice touch. Additionally, it might be nice to see a penalty to happiness for a certain amount of turns during the time it takes for the law to come into affect, or even for a couple of turns after it comes into affect.  (is it affect or effect, lol)

Or the opposite. A new law is passed and everyone is super-excited, or it has an impact on the economy and there is a slight boost to FIDS. 

either way, adding a cool-down period for the law to become active, in my opinion, is necessary to avoid exploitation even if nothing like the suggested temporary bonuses or penalties is implemented.

0Send private message

Must have

The MUST HAVE status is given by the dev team to ideas they would really like to have in the game.

jhell

DEV jhell

status updated 7 years ago

This is actually in the game now :)
0Send private message

Implemented

The IMPLEMENTED status designates ideas that have been implemented in the game.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

We have implemented a restriction on cancelling the laws on the turn they are passed, and many of them only apply their effect the following turn.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment