Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Planetary Space Battles

Space Battles

7 years ago
May 11, 2017, 4:19:14 PM

Planetary Space Battles

It would be amazing if some fleet battles used other backgrounds besides space/orbital ones. 

Instead of the battle taking place in, let's say, an asteroid field or need a sun/planet, it takes place in the atmosphere of a planet, up in the clouds.

It would work exactly the same as any other fleet battle, except the background image would be of a planet's atmosphere and landmass (below the fight) instead of celestial objects.

Basically this (example):

Instead of this:

It's a simple change really, no major mechanics change or anything like that, but it would do wonders for immersion if your system was being attacked by another faction and the battle took place in the atmosphere of Hekim instead of the edge of the solar system. 

Updated a month ago.
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

While we still think this is a really cool idea, we have to admit that at this point it's unlikely to happen. At least we have some major anomalies that show up on the planets in space battles.

Comments

Copied to clipboard!
7 years ago
May 11, 2017, 5:19:36 PM

Could be interesting.  But I think these should be special events, otherwise they become just as inconsequential and generic as normal space battles (Don't get me wrong Dev's.  I still love the regular battle maps).  I think where the atmospheric battles would have the biggest impact, would be around faction capitol planets.  A kind of spectacle of a battle when fighting in orbit of faction's homeworlds.  It would make you want to watch the capitol planet battles with each faction's home planet having their own unique battle map.  Further giving factions their own unique identity and giving a sense of achievement for conquering a homeworld.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 11, 2017, 9:12:43 PM

That's not a bad idea... seeing Sophon cities being sieged below your fleets sounds cool, but I'm not sure the game engine allows a lot of background animation during fleet battles, and anything too flashy could distract from the battle itself.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 13, 2017, 4:02:07 AM

Wouldnt it be against lore? i mean ships are firing nuclear missiles and other stuff, things on that scale are going to mess up with the atmosphere, at least space has the excuse of being empty so yeah, but i like the look of it so i going to upvote it anyways :P. 

0Send private message
0Send private message
7 years ago
May 15, 2017, 7:41:42 PM
solrac137 wrote:

Wouldnt it be against lore? i mean ships are firing nuclear missiles and other stuff, things on that scale are going to mess up with the atmosphere, at least space has the excuse of being empty so yeah, but i like the look of it so i going to upvote it anyways :P. 

If that were true then planetary bombardment wouldn't exist lore-wise. And yes, it does screw with the ecosystem, and maybe that's the idea in the first place.

0Send private message
7 years ago
May 18, 2017, 3:15:20 PM

A great idea.

I'd love to see something like this be in the game, it would add to the immersion, not to mention it'd look awesome as heck!

ValhallasAshes wrote:

Could be interesting.  But I think these should be special events, otherwise they become just as inconsequential and generic as normal space battles (Don't get me wrong Dev's.  I still love the regular battle maps).  I think where the atmospheric battles would have the biggest impact, would be around faction capitol planets.  A kind of spectacle of a battle when fighting in orbit of faction's homeworlds.  It would make you want to watch the capitol planet battles with each faction's home planet having their own unique battle map.  Further giving factions their own unique identity and giving a sense of achievement for conquering a homeworld.

Personally I think that if they based the background scenery according to the planet's type, racial style of architecture, population and system level (IE: Colony, Settlement, etc) they could avoid those problems, although granted, it'd be a very difficult undertaking to make a background scenery generator that runs in according to these factors for only immersion and aesthetic purposes.

Either way, if they manage to make the battlefields a bit more diverse and dynamic even by just a little bit, it'd still be a major plus in my opinion!

I hope the devs find this idea as good as we do.

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
7 years ago
May 23, 2017, 12:05:00 AM

Just imagine how cool it would be to see your feels battle in the atmosphere of an Ash type Planet, with massive storms in the background, or above an Ocean Planet and see giant alien whales come out for air from time to time.

It would be so cool!

0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 8, 2017, 8:50:13 PM

up-voted.

There should be an option to disable planetary space battles, due to big hardware hits on low-end PCs. 

They also should be triggered on unique planets like Auriga.

0Send private message
7 years ago
Jun 13, 2017, 8:51:57 PM
Aimer wrote:

up-voted.

There should be an option to disable planetary space battles, due to big hardware hits on low-end PCs. 

They also should be triggered on unique planets like Auriga.

I agree.  I initially only said faction homeworlds, but yeah definitely, unique planets should also have them as well.

Updated 7 years ago.
0Send private message

Wishlisted

The WISHLISTED status is given by the dev team to ideas they would like to have in the game.

Dagart

DEV Dagart

status updated 7 years ago

it would indeed be very nice, maybe only for unique planets...
0Send private message

Out of Vision

The OUT OF VISION status is given by the dev team to ideas that are not compatible with their vision of the game or technically not feasible.

The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

DEV The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales

status updated 5 years ago

While we still think this is a really cool idea, we have to admit that at this point it's unlikely to happen. At least we have some major anomalies that show up on the planets in space battles.

0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment