Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[G2G-Discussion - Poll] Emperor Edition Skins - Vote or Toggle?

Vote, and here's why.
Toggle, and here's why.
Something completely different.
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 6:03:55 PM
I do not think a toggle would be a good idea. Lets be reasonable: in the future the other skins probably will be part of a DLC or an expansion. At least, something which must be payed for. When that moment is there, there will be probably a way to toggle between those skins. This poll, and the discussion that follows behind, is actually a discussion about something else: Should all the skins be released or only one?

Of course if you only look at your own needs, than yes, they should release all at once. But they will probably try to get as much income out of it as possible, so probably later skins can be purchased for a small amount of money. Is this bad? No. It is the way to make the game more durable profitwise. Do not forget this is a small indie-game developer and not a bigtime developer like EA or something. If they eventually release the game and the game is complete and very good, than they have every right to sell non-essential DLC later on, skins are a perfect example of such things. Unless they charge a fortune for it of course.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 4:53:40 AM
You are given a choice... smiley: smile ok.

Option A: a good choice. uh huh...

Option B: also a good choice. cool...

Option C: another good choice. snicker...

Your response...

lolI chose all of them!

dev team: smiley: cryThat doesn't help narrow it down at all... sigh

Voting outside of the lines doesn't work if your ballot just gets discounted, or not counted at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 12, 2012, 12:21:23 AM
Definitely "toggle", everyone is happy that way.

And no, I'm not saying it only because the "Crusader" skin reminds me of some medical institution with its red/white pattern smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:46:06 PM
MrNewell122 wrote:
I agree with this, I want an ingame option, or the skins to be released as a freeware package that can auto install the skin whichever we want, because I wasn't quite sure about the skins.

How on earth would you have that work in Multiplayer? The only sensible solution would be to have all three skins be part of the game package (i.e. everyone) and only unlock skins for those who have them.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:00:38 PM
I'll very gladly take a DLC that is not required but makes my fleet more memorable or personal over a DLC that is required to win or have fun. This concept goes for any sort of micro transaction.

Hats may seem silly but at least they aren't required to win. The nice thing is that they aren't required.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 7:42:05 PM
I agree with this, I want an ingame option, or the skins to be released as a freeware package that can auto install the skin whichever we want, because I wasn't quite sure about the skins.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 12:42:42 PM
Unikraken wrote:
They can release new content without nickel and dime'ing us with every new thing. Look at how Sins of a Solar Empire released expansions. Everything you bought was worth the money and no crappy business practices.

I know, and those are expansions I do approve both in content and in price.

And I know the feeling like being treated like a cashcow, but let's wait and see how they will handle this:

- if they include the other skins in future updates, no charge ... +10

- if they include the other skins as extra in a big expansion ... +1

- if they include the other skins as a <2 $ Steam-DLC ... 0

Anything worse would be wrong.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:57:25 AM
If this company wants to succeed, they have to develop a viable marketing and development strategy, a way to make more money on a game that has already been released. If you want this gamecompany to develop extra stuff for nothing, their bankruptcy will be FTL-powered.

They can release new content without nickel and dime'ing us with every new thing. Look at how Sins of a Solar Empire released expansions. Everything you bought was worth the money and no crappy business practices.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 11:13:46 AM
A sort of toggle I suppose would be beneficial to all. I voted for Cinnabar as it's not Warhammer or so Cliché. However G2G is a vote for all and should be acted upon. Whatever wins becomes the main on release bonus skin, however allow the other two to be unlocked through some in-game achievement. I'd pluck my eyes out with a rusty spoon if all we were left with was the Crusader Skin. So ugly oO'
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 8:37:07 AM
Unikraken wrote:
So we should sit back and take it because they want more money in the future? They should have to earn my dollar. Expansion DLC should actually add worthwhile content to a game. Selling skins for ships is no different than selling hats. It's atrocious and shouldn't be accepted by the community. Capitalism at its worst. A game company shouldn't look at us as bank accounts, we're fans and deserve respect for paying for their livelihood.

When you build a ship design, you should decide what skin it has at that time, as part of the loadout, IMHO.

Capitalism at its worst? Atrocious? That's (in my opinion) absolute rubbish. If they provide you with a very complete and good functioning game, they have all the right to sell non-essential DLC's, and skins are absolutely non-essential.

To give a good example of the contrary:

Mass Effect 3 asked payment for the "Ashes" DLC, this DLC added a Prothean teammember. Without going in-depth on the content, this teammember added much more content to the game and answered a lot of questions in relation to lore specific subjects. Without this teammember, the experience is simply (very) incomplete. That is the wrong way to go. It is like saying "Cheers, thanks for your 50 $, but the game is actually not complete, give me another 15 $ and it is."

If Amplitude would sell DLC, that rather belongs in an update, that would be bad. Of course, they could include skins in an update, but that would be a favor, not something you could claim. I would also like everything for free, but that's not realistic now is it?

Unikraken wrote:
A game company shouldn't look at us as bank accounts, we're fans and deserve respect for paying for their livelihood.

I'm sorry, I really don't want to be offensive, but this is just simply outright naive and wrong. Do you really think gamecompanies are samaritan institutions that provide us with entertainment, without the need for profit? What you really mean is: I took a risk and bought this game at discount, now I want the gamecompany to give me freebies all along the way.

If this company wants to succeed, they have to develop a viable marketing and development strategy, a way to make more money on a game that has already been released. If you want this gamecompany to develop extra stuff for nothing, their bankruptcy will be FTL-powered.

So I gather you also did protest against the fact that you could get the extra skin only if you ordered the Empire-edition?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 4:21:30 AM
Cadoras wrote:
I do not think a toggle would be a good idea. Lets be reasonable: in the future the other skins probably will be part of a DLC or an expansion. At least, something which must be payed for. When that moment is there, there will be probably a way to toggle between those skins. This poll, and the discussion that follows behind, is actually a discussion about something else: Should all the skins be released or only one?

Of course if you only look at your own needs, than yes, they should release all at once. But they will probably try to get as much income out of it as possible, so probably later skins can be purchased for a small amount of money. Is this bad? No. It is the way to make the game more durable profitwise. Do not forget this is a small indie-game developer and not a bigtime developer like EA or something. If they eventually release the game and the game is complete and very good, than they have every right to sell non-essential DLC later on, skins are a perfect example of such things. Unless they charge a fortune for it of course.

So we should sit back and take it because they want more money in the future? They should have to earn my dollar. Expansion DLC should actually add worthwhile content to a game. Selling skins for ships is no different than selling hats. It's atrocious and shouldn't be accepted by the community. Capitalism at its worst. A game company shouldn't look at us as bank accounts, we're fans and deserve respect for paying for their livelihood.

When you build a ship design, you should decide what skin it has at that time, as part of the loadout, IMHO.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 10:04:21 PM
Toggle, definitely. It's always nice to have options. Besides, they went through the trouble to draw them up, might as well let the designs get used instead of tossing them into the trash bin or let them get lost in the archives.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 10:21:40 PM
First things first, personally, I prefer the Crusader skin.

That aside, I know that every has a different taste in aesthetics and that I'd imagine that quite a few people won't be pleased by the outcome of the vote, hence why I think it should be something you can choose in the options menu. Of course, this is time permitting, the development team shouldn't be running around trying to please everyone.

So what do my fellow conquers of space feel?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 4:30:55 PM
Rainboq wrote:
First things first, personally, I prefer the Crusader skin.

That aside, I know that every has a different taste in aesthetics and that I'd imagine that quite a few people won't be pleased by the outcome of the vote, hence why I think it should be something you can choose in the options menu. Of course, this is time permitting, the development team shouldn't be running around trying to please everyone.

So what do my fellow conquers of space feel?

I'm not sure what you mean...A toggle between what skin you use when you play the game? I'd imagine you'd already have that option: play with default, or play with any skin you have downloaded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 2:54:47 PM
Oh, Rainboq meant a toggle between the current options for the UE skin, not a toggle between the regular and EE skin. Eh, as someone who wasn't thrilled by the space ambulance or space firetruck paint jobs I'm okay with only getting one alt choice here.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 10, 2012, 10:59:41 AM
Ohma wrote:
Why wouldn't it be put to a vote and an option in the game?

This ^^^, I think voting provides a better "closeness" with the community and dev, which is good for business. Though time consuming...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 12:01:35 AM
It really just depends on what the Dev Team has time for. Of course I'd love the option to toggle between 3 (or more!) skins but, at the cost of what being sacrificed in the game to do so? I'm sure if they could, they'd give a host of choices but, as stated before, I think these are just concepts for us to decide on. I voted already.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 11:49:58 PM
I'm betting my right buttcheck that the images we're seeing are simply rough sketches, not fully feature finished skins. So vote.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 11:44:15 PM
Premier wrote:
Personalty, i would like the choice of all three, but that isn't the point of the whole thing. the Whole premise behind Games2gether is we are given a choice, and we help decide. We cant be given a choice about something, and then have it ignored.
I suppose, but I'd imagine that a few people will feel that they've lost some of the value from their purchase because the skin that was decided completely clashed with their sense of aesthetics.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 11:43:07 PM
It would be cool to be able to toggle but I agree that trying to please everyone might be difficult. I think they should go witht the vote for now. Then in the future, when there is time for it they could add the 2 other skins to make it able to toggle.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 11:03:55 PM
Personalty, i would like the choice of all three, but that isn't the point of the whole thing. the Whole premise behind Games2gether is we are given a choice, and we help decide. We cant be given a choice about something, and then have it ignored.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 6, 2012, 10:31:07 PM
Ohma wrote:
Why wouldn't it be put to a vote and an option in the game?
Fair enough, I wonder if I could add another option to the poll...
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment