Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Discussion] What do you think of the scoring system?

I love it
I like it
I don't care/don't mind
I don't like it
I hate it
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 14, 2012, 9:58:29 PM
As suggested by Jetkar, I'm expanding on a post I made mentioning the opacity of the score.

Edit: more detailed scoring system is now a post-release "must have" feature.

I would like to see a more in-depth scoring system, because when I play the game I don't really understand how the current score is arrived at. At the moment I'm playing a session where I'm 3rd on the scoreboard, despite the fact I'm making dust faster than I can spend it, and I'm 2nd largest in terms of the number of systems I own. I'm guessing the faction with less systems than me but a higher score has greater military power, or better research... but I can't really know.

I'd like to see the score broken down into statistics for the following:

• FIDS revenue/balance
  • Luxuries and rare resources controlled
  • Military strength
  • No. of fleets
  • No. of ships
  • Total population size
  • No. of planets colonised
  • No. of systems controlled
  • No. of battles fought/won (and against which faction)
  • Percentage of each of the four research trees unlocked
  • Some kind of diplomacy history
  • Some kind of hero career history

Some of these things you can get an idea of from the diplomacy panel, but it would be nice to have an overall game report at the end that shows not just the end score, but the trends over the whole of the game. However, I don't have a lot of experience of 4x games so I don't know what stats you would normally expect. What do people think?

I also think having a better score display would pave the way for an espionage system (already suggested in end-game cumulative score graphs, [POLL] Design and implementation of Espionage and my post about heros with an espionage career option).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 12:20:13 AM
I dislike it - I still haven't wrapped my head around it properly. When I own half the galaxy with full systems full of terran tier planets and plenty of fleets I'm still only barely ahead of 2nd place with one fourth of my empire.

But with the last patch diplomacy has been made bearable in spite of this.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 4:25:14 AM
Mansen wrote:
I still haven't wrapped my head around it...

Me too ... and that bothers me.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 4:51:06 PM
TangJET wrote:
Me too ... and that bothers me.

I'm glad it's not just me then
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 15, 2012, 5:19:33 PM
I'd also like to have the option of seeing a better breakdown of how the score is tallied. It seems like it weights technology very heavily, but it's pretty hard to tell for sure at the moment.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 12:24:26 AM
As it stands right now the score system is very skewed in favour of Military strength.

You can actually tell when soeone is gearing up to go to war because their score jumps by leaps and bounds. It's not a true score though. Ships are temporary assets(no matter how good you are with them) The fact I can tell when someone is building up to attack me is a little absurd. Hard assets(or relatively hard) like Systems, Tech, Economy and other stuff like that should have more weight attached. even if only to cover up the fact that I know someone is pumping ships. If it were the other way around I could draw the assumption that maybe he's just grabbing more planets or got a big tech.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 16, 2012, 3:01:26 PM
I've just realised that the score at the end is a bit more detailed than I thought. I didn't realise you could click on subcategories to see a breakdown for each category (FIDS, MP etc).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Oct 15, 2012, 10:19:39 PM
I wish for simultaneously more and less information out of the scoreboard. I don't want to be able to tell when someone is gearing up to attack by looking at their score, if that's still the case.

But I do want more information about enemy empires, especially how close they are to achieving certain victory conditions.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment