Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

International "Water" Designation

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 3:03:51 AM
Hey guys,

I know there was a thread regarding new ideas for the upcoming add-on/exp, but here's an idea if this wasn't covered.

Can we have a diplomatic function that allows players to designate international "water". It's an area(s) comprising systems that belongs to no empire; this is different from the open border concept.

Sub-specification would allow players to decide if they want to allow military ships to orbit these systems or not. These areas could be buffer zones that may reduce border tension, and even give empires some time to react should another declares war on them. If an empire breaks the deal, one may anticipate declaration of war since their military ships can now enter these areas (yours can too).

Another use of this could resolve conflicts arising from attempts to control the center or systems of interest. As you can imagine, this deal will not allow seeders to annex these systems.

This function will make maps of large and huge size an interesting space to maneuver.

I don't know how AIs would work, but I am sure there is a way.

(This is a repost of the original thread by me in the multiplayer section)
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 11:24:19 AM
Hey, sounds good. Allways a friend of new diplomatic possibilities. And why not give the chance leave some Systems neutral untill late-game?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 8:31:23 PM
As I already posted on your previous thread - I like the idea - more strategical deepness inc. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 9:22:08 PM
Codename_Veers wrote:
Hey, sounds good. Allways a friend of new diplomatic possibilities. And why not give the chance leave some Systems neutral untill late-game?

Absolutely agree, any improvement to the current diplomatic workings would be a welcome sight smiley: smile

@DesertFoxx: The problem with neutral systems is that nothing stops the various factions from seizing them and also I'm not sure the AI would respect said designated neutral area: what to you may be a buffer zone helping to disarm tensions and preventing the potential for war, will to the AI likely just be a weak area ripe for conquest.

If you programm the AI to respect buffer zones between strong empires then it might lead to the AI shying away from conquest/expansion full stop... so getting it right could be quite complicated smiley: confused

Regardless, being a fan of the whole "neutral zone" - concept of ST I'd love to see something like that implemented! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 20, 2012, 9:28:49 PM
n18991c wrote:
...If you programm the AI to respect buffer zones between strong empires then it might lead to the AI shying away from conquest/expansion full stop... so getting it right could be quite complicated smiley: confused

Regardless, being a fan of the whole "neutral zone" - concept of ST I'd love to see something like that implemented! smiley: smile

If this gets "mastered" it's going to be epic smiley: smile
0Send private message
0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 22, 2012, 12:14:32 AM
n18991c wrote:
Absolutely agree, any improvement to the current diplomatic workings would be a welcome sight smiley: smile

@DesertFoxx: The problem with neutral systems is that nothing stops the various factions from seizing them and also I'm not sure the AI would respect said designated neutral area: what to you may be a buffer zone helping to disarm tensions and preventing the potential for war, will to the AI likely just be a weak area ripe for conquest.

If you programm the AI to respect buffer zones between strong empires then it might lead to the AI shying away from conquest/expansion full stop... so getting it right could be quite complicated smiley: confused

You make a good point there. Hopefully, AI can be nice enough to accept the deal, and later break it if it becomes superior in military strength or overall. Late game neutral systems will definitely lead to some interesting political maneuvers.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Nov 26, 2012, 6:55:14 AM
I like this idea. I think if it would be implemented into the game properly it would be pretty cool.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment