Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Offensive retreat

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 2:14:46 AM
Hmm I did an offensive retreat when I had no where to go and the game was happy to let me play the card.

It promptly destroyed the fleet.

Of course the fleet could have easily killed the opponents (guess it's a pretty bad game where combat becomes so much meaningless gibberish that you don't really care losing a huge fleet).

Seems a bit silly to kill a fleet like that which can't retreat, seems to make a whole lot more sense to just have the retreat prevented and then fight the three rounds of boring combat.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 10, 2013, 7:51:04 PM
eqronis wrote:
Especially once you unlock the tech that allows you to ignore star lanes, then retreat should always be available.

I agree with this, retreat should take you back to the path you came from or the shortest path back to a non enemy system. However perhaps make it more risky when retreating like this, allow the entire first combat round to finish before retreat can start.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 10, 2013, 7:43:59 PM
I agree aswell. I've had some fleets be destroyed when trying to retreat them in a situation where they can't reatreat but it was still allowed.

But it has one purpose still: If you retreat your hero will not be injured, even if the fleet is destroyed afterwards (unless you are Hissho, in which case your hero will always injure himself when he has to retreat).
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 10, 2013, 7:33:23 PM
Zathri wrote:
Grey out with an explanation of why it is greyed out. However, in the case that a fleet can move extreme distances, retreat should still be an option.

Especially once you unlock the tech that allows you to ignore star lanes, then retreat should always be available.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 10, 2013, 8:12:20 AM
Grey out with an explanation of why it is greyed out. However, in the case that a fleet can move extreme distances, retreat should still be an option.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 7, 2013, 12:45:51 AM
Tredecim wrote:
Gray out seems to be the best idea for me! smiley: smile

Agreed, there is no point in doing something that means nothing. May as well fight to the end and have a catchy slogan like "Remember the Alamo!"
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 20, 2013, 5:17:50 PM
Yeah, that would be better. It's senseless that a fleet is destroyed because it can't retreat.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 20, 2013, 10:44:12 AM
eqronis wrote:
I agree, graying out the card would be the best solution to this problem...or at the very least allowing the fight to play out.

Gray out seems to be the best idea for me! smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 12, 2013, 3:25:52 PM
jgbaxter wrote:
Seems a bit silly to kill a fleet like that which can't retreat, seems to make a whole lot more sense to just have the retreat prevented and then fight the three rounds of boring combat.

I agree, graying out the card would be the best solution to this problem...or at the very least allowing the fight to play out.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jan 31, 2013, 10:41:13 PM
Offensive retreat seems to be working a little weird. I don't know the propability or math behind this, but it is possible that you get "Your fleet failed to retreat and was destroyed.". Now that it happened to me 2 times in a row, i felt this was quite bad... My fleet was 110k mp fleet (with level 20 commander) vs AI's 25k mp missile ships. If i had selected anything else than Offensive retreat card, i would have lost half the ships at most. The funny thing is that while retreating, my ships completely annihilates the enemy ships aswell. (22 small ships with fleet bonus damage% adds up quickly)

So, should the Offensive retreat card take some fleet power math into account, or is it just pure luck 50-50 chance? What if i retreat from 100k mp VS 1 mp, do i still get 50% chance or something to get annihilated, by lonely gunless colony ship?
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 4, 2013, 5:42:48 PM
Surrounded? I had researched all of tech tree including free travelling without spacelines, and i was at war with the opponent, giving rights to travel to any of his systems. In addition, i had so many fleets that i was invading all his nearby worlds at the same time.

But there is other thing, i feel like AI is sometimes hiding his forces in fear of being overpowered. Perhaps putting most of them in hangar and never getting to use them. Could such effect in calculations?
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 2, 2013, 10:22:06 AM
If I understand system right you can`t "offensive retreat" in two situations – if you have no way to retreat or if opponent block you by "offensive" card. So there are no 50% chance at all.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 7:53:59 PM
Retreats are funny, but they're mostly pathetic. The number of times I've had to hit the same retreating fleet on the same turn is silly to be kind. Retreats should only be allowed once a turn or some penalty should apply, such as longer time preparing to retreat giving the attacker more free shots. Anyway, weird.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 3:38:09 PM
Great question as I have wondered what caused this as well - ty for answering.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 4:00:46 AM
Indeed. It doesnt matter whether you successfully retreat if all the systems around your current positioned were colonized by the opposition. I am certain this mechanic was put in place to keep the ai from outspamming your fleet and "bouncing" between systems, keeping your system blockaded (as in: you engage them, they retreat and use their 20+ movement points to bounce right back from the system on the far side of the string and keep the system blockaded, when you cant attack them in that turn anymore). They can still do that if theyre attacking from a adjacent system belonging to them/neutral one though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 1, 2013, 12:47:56 AM
I'm pretty sure your getting annihilated simply because the fleet doesn't have anywhere to retreat to, i.e. its surrounded.

A retreat, offensive or otherwise, fails if your ship can't retreat anywhere, and is thus destroyed.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment