Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Disharmony Mechanics, New Players, and fear of complexity

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jun 25, 2013, 7:55:14 PM
Like most ES fans, I have seen the upcomming features in ES: Disharmony, and I am quite happy with them. Along with the new fighter mechanics comes new lore, new art, new controls, etc.

However, I am a bit worried about one thing. I am afraid that new players might be overwhelmed by the new combat mechanics and the invasion system. They already express concerns of micromanagement, something which doesn't bother me but I know bothers others.

I must admit, this makes me a little bit apprehensive about the changes and their possible effects on our fanbase... Thoughts?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 26, 2013, 1:59:42 PM
There is an option for them to switch to classic mode and they don't have to buy the expansion immediately. They could just get used to the base game then try the expansion.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 11:56:15 PM
No fear of complexity, getting damn tired of no real manual - go read the wiki is not a valid solution, this game was seriously lacking in documentation it only seems to get worse. Of course asking how something works is only valid when we know its not a bug, kind of hard to tell right now
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 28, 2013, 11:58:34 PM
It's no worse then starting any other 4X game.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 1:12:37 AM
Still, comparing it to other games doesn't necessarily excuse the problem. One of the reasons I like Amp better than other studios is because in general they seem to >not< be like other game companies, so I see it as more of an area they can improve than something we should just pass off as a "staple of the genre"
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 1:29:30 AM
Well most of the game's documentation is from the community anyway, it's probably just not their strong suit.

Still, the current mechanics are much easier to understand then the old ones.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 4:53:42 AM
I would like some extensive patch notes and changes made in vanilla ES. It would make the wiki documentation appear faster and allow the community to spot bugs/glitches faster.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 5:19:40 AM
People actually use tutorials? I've always hated tutorial. Learn by playing is what I always say.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 2:47:05 PM
I have no fear of complexity - I often lobby in early betas for more complexity, and not to shy away from adding layers of depth to a game in the fear that casual consumers won't be able to cope with it or enjoy it.

But what has changed in Disharmony... :/ It doesn't feel right. I love the concepts and the complexity, but the way it's been integrated into the game seems to have broken it, in my view.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jun 29, 2013, 2:51:21 PM
I guess it's not always as easy for some people, but I did learn Dominions 3 simply by doing, so maybe I am a little bias.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment