Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Expanded Race Customization Options

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Feb 26, 2013, 11:02:33 PM
Hello everyone, first time posting a suggestion on these boards. I hope the presentation and content meets with everyone's full approval.

My suggestions are thus: Expanded options for creating custom player factions, the in-game option to create fully functioning AI opponents and the option to add your own faction portraits to the game (both kinds of portrait) via simply placing images of specific dimensions into a certain folder.

Expanded Custom Factions: Greater depth for custom factions, including more traits to choose from, the option to choose both portraits separately and having the ship designs separate from your portraits choice. For example, you could use the United Empire Faction Portrait, the Sophon Diplomacy Menu Portrait and the Amneoba Ship Designs. It would also be nice to have the descriptions of faction traits to also include WHY it gives the bonus/penalty it does, you know, from a lore perspective I'd like to know why the race is good/bad at what it does.

Custom AI Opponents: The in-game option to create your own AI opponents. To support this, one of two, or both, path's could be used. AI presets could be made made, which would involve you assigning the race the personality and play style of an already existing faction, such as the United Empire or Hissho for example. The second option would be to allow sliders and such to determine how a faction behaves, for example

Aggressiveness: A low setting meaning Peaceful, High meaning Militaristic.

Intelligence: How Intelligent the faction is, which could determine how balanced/viable their research patterns are, how sensible their fleet setups are, how intelligently they build and how well they defend their systems, etc...

Alignment: Determines how trustworthy and opportunistic they are, as well as weather or not they will stick to their agreements.

These are just a few examples, but of course there could be far more options. This might however require a lot of effort, depending on how hard it would be to implement such malleable AI crafting within the game itself.

Accessible Custom Faction Portrait Support: A feature which I believe will add some re-playability and the option for allow more personalization to their games, which is always nice, this involves a simple procedure of placing images of certain dimensions into folders in the Endless Space directory that allows them to be used in-game. As a fan of the Galactic Civilization series, I've thoroughly enjoyed how I was able to be creative in populating the Galaxy with colorful faces and adding my favorites from other series' like Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer 40,000, Mass Effect, Babylon 5, Stargate, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc... in fact, I even added the races of Endless Space to Galactic Civilization II, the Sophons almost always make it into my GCII games. With loads of custom factions made, setting the AI's in a match to Random could create some really interesting and unpredictable games. I stray from my original point

Just for a laugh, i have attached a screenshot of some races I added to Galactic Civilizations II, which includes some really obscure ones. This screenshot was taken before I added most of the custom factions, including the Endless Space Factions.

Being able to personalize and expand the roster and have it show with genuine imagery just creates a warmer, more diversified experience in my opinion.

I hope tI am not the only one who would like such additions to the game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 1:09:48 AM
I LOVE the idea of being able to upload a portrait. I designed a modified Sower race but made them Naive and less aggressive. In my mind they looked like the AI modules from the Portal games, rolling around and winking and such. Would've been neat to upload that and see such a pic during trade.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Feb 28, 2013, 10:36:25 AM
Oh boy, a reply! Was beginning to think the thread was Doomed. I just think being able to add your own portraits and use custom AI opponents adds a bit of extra depth, personality and warmth to the game. I replayed the hell out of Galactic Civilizations II because I could just choose brand new opponents each game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 1, 2013, 1:19:08 PM
dude you know..........there was like hundred of thread like this smiley: frown

yes the dev team know about this but it's not on top to-do list, after game been fix and balance out they might come down and look into it.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 1, 2013, 2:14:19 PM
FreedomFighterEx wrote:
dude you know..........there was like hundred of thread like this smiley: frown

yes the dev team know about this but it's not on top to-do list, after game been fix and balance out they might come down and look into it.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you there. The Devs are likely looking at solving the more extreme problems first before they try to expand and tweak the small cosmetic and/or fun stuff. While I agree that that is the best way forward, the lack of small fluffy and changeable things is also currently preventing me from starting a fresh game - I've simply seen it all now and am waiting for the next big game changer...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Mar 1, 2013, 3:42:41 PM
Indie game slowly grow and update but good part of indie game is most of them always update unlike tripple A game which patch come f***king slow and sometime it broke game more than fix it.

sure the progress is slow, i agree with you, i only play for sometime then pause for long period and come back again after big chance.

still there are plenty way to mod this game around if you have time and effort, it might not come out like what you want but at lease better than nothing.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 1, 2013, 9:32:56 PM
So... i vaguely remember seeing this game (i think maybe i played the beta once? if so it was way different) a long time ago, but with the Disharmony sale on Steam I finally picked it up and started playing a couple days ago. Or maybe a week. Hard to tell.

I always enjoy playing as my own faction, no matter what game, so I agree with everything you've suggested. In fact, I'd even like to see them go a few steps further. Right now, Affinity has a few different effects on your custom faction. It affects your general mechanic, of course, but it also has unique technologies and ship classes (-40% tonnage on support civilian, etc). I'd like to see these split up. So, say, you could have the basic mechanics (Bushido) of the Hissho, the unique tech of the Sophon, the ship classes of the Automatons, and look like the Sowers. I wouldn't mind having the unique tech stay tied to the mechanics, but the ship classes are the important bits! Some of the classes give bonuses to things I don't like using, but I'd like to try out that faction's mechanics. Also, it would be fun to create your own ship classes, too.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment