Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Rationale for % module weights?

Copied to clipboard!
11 years ago
Jul 19, 2013, 3:37:06 PM
1 Metric Tonne ~= 1 Ton (american) which is 2000 pounds. I doubt the ships run at 1m tonnes or more simply because this:

Displacement: 100,000 to 104,600 long tons (100,000–106,300 t)

Is the weight of an aircraft carrier (displacement in water). Those ships are HUGE at a fifth of a mile long (three football fields). Even a dreadnought class cruiser wouldn't be that much bigger than that realistically simply because once you start getting bigger it becomes exponentially more difficult to maintain and crew.

The only reaosn later techs ever get heavier is if they are Bomber/Fighter/Troop/PointDefense or you increased the tonnage of the ship itself through tech or modules.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 14, 2013, 2:58:31 AM
EatThePath wrote:
It's true that it won't always be relevant to have back-tech available, but it becomes an issue of whether the UI/decision clutter it causes is worth getting rid of it in favor of a "smart" system. Personally, for a strategy game it feels like my options are being artificially limited which really grates. I'm sure lots of people feel the same way. (In fact I've seen several posts about it.) The biggest selling point of a smart system, for me, is the fact that is simplifies ship creation in multiplayer where you don't want to spend 5 minutes clicking to design a new ship. Best cast scenario: why not have the smart system be a preference you can set?

Probably my biggest disappointment with Disharmony so far is the ship design feeling dumbed down. I have a hunch this was somewhat intentional in order to play up the new fighter and bomber and "special slot" mechanics. Same for only 3 weapon tech levels.

From my perspective, the game presents all of its aspects as being fairly complex and extensive, even if the upshot of some of the mechanics is rather simple. When you go into the fleets screen, and then enter the ship building screen, it's clear that you have some work ahead of you to wrap your head around all your choices, or at least it appears this way. While simple is good, I don't think it should be oversimplified for its own sake, since the player already perceives that it's not a simple system and will be ready to tackle the ins and outs instead of being overwhelmed when they encounter complications.

Basically your system would be fine more or less and an improvement for sure but why not go all the way to mollify players like me too? smiley: biggrin

Because a choice that you never choose isn't a choice. See terraforming pre-Disharmony. T1 planets or bust, because everything below T1 sucked across the board. Just because there are "choices" doesn't actually mean you'll ever make an actual choice.

there are already enough moving parts for ship combat, having a contrived (because it WILL be contrived) module level system to "choose" different modules is really just design bloat. Either you'll be using the best weapon/defense tech you have... OR you don;t have the resource to use the best. There isn't enough of a cost overhead to make using weaker tech in any way better at any time.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 14, 2013, 3:26:40 AM
I find myself agreeing with you Autocthon more and more.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 14, 2013, 6:31:14 AM
Autocthon wrote:
Because a choice that you never choose isn't a choice. See terraforming pre-Disharmony. T1 planets or bust, because everything below T1 sucked across the board. Just because there are "choices" doesn't actually mean you'll ever make an actual choice.

there are already enough moving parts for ship combat, having a contrived (because it WILL be contrived) module level system to "choose" different modules is really just design bloat. Either you'll be using the best weapon/defense tech you have... OR you don;t have the resource to use the best. There isn't enough of a cost overhead to make using weaker tech in any way better at any time.

Why would you never choose it? I thought you said earlier that the option of choosing low tech power modules would be nice.

It also depends on the weights and industry costs, which can be tuned to make it more relevant. I don't understand why you're so dead set against the concept. There aren't many real choices in the game anyway, if you view it like that.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 14, 2013, 12:50:01 PM
There are very few real decisions in most games. 4x games in general rank pretty low on the choices ladder.

By choosing lower tech power modules I meant splitting power modules between Fleet and Ship.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 18, 2013, 4:59:02 PM
i am of the feeling that maybe it would be a good idea to compleatly re-invent the ship building system into something a bit more streamlined and logical, maybe having a more slot based system with engineering/propulsion/ offensive/defensive/special subsystems to adjust slot amount and stats for different modules instead, or at least something along those lines, weight seems just like a silly thing to make a limit since these ships are in space... where they dont "sink" or " fall out the sky" or anything.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 18, 2013, 5:28:46 PM
Tiggy wrote:
i am of the feeling that maybe it would be a good idea to compleatly re-invent the ship building system into something a bit more streamlined and logical, maybe having a more slot based system with engineering/propulsion/ offensive/defensive/special subsystems to adjust slot amount and stats for different modules instead, or at least something along those lines, weight seems just like a silly thing to make a limit since these ships are in space... where they dont "sink" or " fall out the sky" or anything.

Weight is hyperexpensive in space. It takes massive amounts of energy to handle momentum in a frictionless environment. That's ignoring the expense of generating enough lift to get a ship skyward.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 19, 2013, 5:11:04 AM
Autocthon wrote:
Weight is hyperexpensive in space. It takes massive amounts of energy to handle momentum in a frictionless environment. That's ignoring the expense of generating enough lift to get a ship skyward.

While it's true that weight plays a huge factor in space (more weight = more inertia), I think there's something we're all forgetting.

These ships we build don't weigh the 800 kilos (let's assume they're kilos) we add to the ship. They're probably WAY heavier than that. There's an entire hull and infrastructure of a ship around our weapon and fighter bays. The bridge, crew quarters, medbays, life support systems, and ignore the presumably superdense and insanely heavy outer hull needed to protect your ships from tiny asteroids impacting the hull and flying straight through. These are weight factors we do not need to bother with. And, in the grander scheme of things, those 800 kilos for weapons and shields are probably relatively negligible relative to the overall cost of the ship. Thus, why ships with less tonnage don't actually move faster - the differences in weight don't matter as much.

With that said, I agree with everyone arguing that %tonnage should at least come with a %effect. I can agree with the idea of a larger ship needing more tonnage to support more armor, but that's also MORE armor - the effect should be inflated.

However, I don't agree with the idea that going back to older tech is bad. It's not the industry costs that matter, it's the Tonnage. Having higher tech modules means having heavier modules, which basically makes the smaller ships utterly useless. Instead of having some of each defense and some lasers/missiles, you can barely get a scout that has armor for each different weapon type. What's the point in using a 1CP ship if it can't have even a minor amount of defense, without having zero attacking ability?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 19, 2013, 11:12:30 AM
Fenrakk101 wrote:
While it's true that weight plays a huge factor in space (more weight = more inertia), I think there's something we're all forgetting.

These ships we build don't weigh the 800 kilos (let's assume they're kilos) we add to the ship. They're probably WAY heavier than that. There's an entire hull and infrastructure of a ship around our weapon and fighter bays. The bridge, crew quarters, medbays, life support systems, and ignore the presumably superdense and insanely heavy outer hull needed to protect your ships from tiny asteroids impacting the hull and flying straight through. These are weight factors we do not need to bother with. And, in the grander scheme of things, those 800 kilos for weapons and shields are probably relatively negligible relative to the overall cost of the ship. Thus, why ships with less tonnage don't actually move faster - the differences in weight don't matter as much.

With that said, I agree with everyone arguing that %tonnage should at least come with a %effect. I can agree with the idea of a larger ship needing more tonnage to support more armor, but that's also MORE armor - the effect should be inflated.

However, I don't agree with the idea that going back to older tech is bad. It's not the industry costs that matter, it's the Tonnage. Having higher tech modules means having heavier modules, which basically makes the smaller ships utterly useless. Instead of having some of each defense and some lasers/missiles, you can barely get a scout that has armor for each different weapon type. What's the point in using a 1CP ship if it can't have even a minor amount of defense, without having zero attacking ability?

Couple points, because apparently nobody reads anything when systems get overhauled.

1) Tonnage. Those weapons you add weigh between 7 and 11 Tonnes. That's 7000-11000 Kilos. So unless the ship itself is on the order of 1m Tonnes to begin with you WILL always be adding real weight to your ship.

2) Newer tech in all circumstances except special siege modules weighs the same as older tech right now. So saying "having higher tech modules means heavier modules" means you're ignorant of the system. And probably also means hyou're not qualified to comment on the state of the system (roughly equivalent to an art major talking politics).
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 19, 2013, 12:21:31 PM
Autocthon wrote:
1) Tonnage. Those weapons you add weigh between 7 and 11 Tonnes. That's 7000-11000 Kilos. So unless the ship itself is on the order of 1m Tonnes to begin with you WILL always be adding real weight to your ship.[/quotes]

I wasn't sure how much a tonne was because I'm an ignorant American. And who's to say the ships aren't 1m tonnes or more?

Autocthon wrote:
2) Newer tech in all circumstances except special siege modules weighs the same as older tech right now. So saying "having higher tech modules means heavier modules" means you're ignorant of the system. And probably also means hyou're not qualified to comment on the state of the system (roughly equivalent to an art major talking politics).

Really? I was certain they got heavier, or maybe they just increased the base weight. If so, my bad, and I agree with the idea of never teching back.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 11:22:05 PM
It's true that it won't always be relevant to have back-tech available, but it becomes an issue of whether the UI/decision clutter it causes is worth getting rid of it in favor of a "smart" system. Personally, for a strategy game it feels like my options are being artificially limited which really grates. I'm sure lots of people feel the same way. (In fact I've seen several posts about it.) The biggest selling point of a smart system, for me, is the fact that is simplifies ship creation in multiplayer where you don't want to spend 5 minutes clicking to design a new ship. Best cast scenario: why not have the smart system be a preference you can set?

Probably my biggest disappointment with Disharmony so far is the ship design feeling dumbed down. I have a hunch this was somewhat intentional in order to play up the new fighter and bomber and "special slot" mechanics. Same for only 3 weapon tech levels.

From my perspective, the game presents all of its aspects as being fairly complex and extensive, even if the upshot of some of the mechanics is rather simple. When you go into the fleets screen, and then enter the ship building screen, it's clear that you have some work ahead of you to wrap your head around all your choices, or at least it appears this way. While simple is good, I don't think it should be oversimplified for its own sake, since the player already perceives that it's not a simple system and will be ready to tackle the ins and outs instead of being overwhelmed when they encounter complications.

Basically your system would be fine more or less and an improvement for sure but why not go all the way to mollify players like me too? smiley: biggrin
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 20, 2013, 4:43:32 PM
I don't know that it really matters exactly how much a ton weights in ES universe. But the key issue here is that adding mass to any spacecraft has what's called the "snowball effect", which is exactly like it sound. For example, increasing your thruster size by 10% may sound negligible on paper when you compare it to the total mass of the ship, but then you'll find out real soon that 10% extra mass means you now need 5% more structural support, 10% more thermal management system, another 7% more armor plating to cover the thruster, and so on so forth. And then you out that extra 5% extra structural require you to run another 8% extra cooling/power conduits and yet more armor plating. And then you find out you need a bigger power plant, which requires even more thermal management. And so on and so on. At the end of the day you find out, your spacecraft is now going only 3% faster but is 20% bulkier. That is what real spacecraft design is like. The bottom line, mass matters, A LOT. And every kilo makes a difference in the final design.

Of course, maybe things work differently in ES, where dust is like magic.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 20, 2013, 7:45:32 PM
Autocthon wrote:
1 Metric Tonne ~= 1 Ton (american) which is 2000 pounds. I doubt the ships run at 1m tonnes or more simply because this:

Displacement: 100,000 to 104,600 long tons (100,000–106,300 t)

Is the weight of an aircraft carrier (displacement in water). Those ships are HUGE at a fifth of a mile long (three football fields). Even a dreadnought class cruiser wouldn't be that much bigger than that realistically simply because once you start getting bigger it becomes exponentially more difficult to maintain and crew.

The only reaosn later techs ever get heavier is if they are Bomber/Fighter/Troop/PointDefense or you increased the tonnage of the ship itself through tech or modules.

Honestly, I think this argument is kind of ridiculous. In the year 3000, I think it will be possible for advanced alien races to maintain and crew these ships.

I mean, they're already managing billions of colonists on extraterrestrial planets. If you can maintain colonies across the galaxy on gas giants and lava planets, I think you can maintain giant battleships. So, realistically, I think Dreadnoughts could be a mile long. (also, in the loading screens, you can see a simple scout ship is larger than a modern aircraft carrier).

Antera wrote:
I don't know that it really matters exactly how much a ton weights in ES universe. But the key issue here is that adding mass to any spacecraft has what's called the "snowball effect", which is exactly like it sound. For example, increasing your thruster size by 10% may sound negligible on paper when you compare it to the total mass of the ship, but then you'll find out real soon that 10% extra mass means you now need 5% more structural support, 10% more thermal management system, another 7% more armor plating to cover the thruster, and so on so forth. And then you out that extra 5% extra structural require you to run another 8% extra cooling/power conduits and yet more armor plating. And then you find out you need a bigger power plant, which requires even more thermal management. And so on and so on. At the end of the day you find out, your spacecraft is now going only 3% faster but is 20% bulkier. That is what real spacecraft design is like. The bottom line, mass matters, A LOT. And every kilo makes a difference in the final design.

The argument was that the ship is already DESIGNED with that structural support and thermal management taken into account. You have a tonnage limit for a reason. If the ship says it can support 200 tonnes, that means the ship is already designed to handle 200 tonnes, as opposed to the ship that can only carry 100 tonnes. The cost of structural integrity and increased thruster power should already be considered when saying the ship can carry x amount of tonnes. It would be a better argument to say that the Industry cost of modules should scale, not tonnage, which I don't find that bad of an idea.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 21, 2013, 4:53:30 AM
Actually, I was just trying to address the issue of a) why's mass important to s/c design, and b) why is changing the mass of one module on a s/c not a trivial matter. Had nothing whatsoever to do with how ES works. Hahahaha

Well anyways, back to the discussion about tonnage %...
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 8:38:40 PM
In the current Beta of the next Patch everything except Armor, Support, Engines and Defense-Modules is flat-tonnage.

I'm trying to convince the Devs to make Armor also flat-tonnage.

If you wonder about defense-modules, they work different per ship-size so imho it's okay to be %-based.

It's 3% for 20/40/60 Defense for Level 1-Defenses. (actually it's 60 defense on all of them but Hull-weakness now is 300/200/100, making the same amount of defense more effective on bigger ships)

Edit: Oh, and of course you now can switch between several levels of weapons for the cases you don't have the ressources for better ones.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 22, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
Ail wrote:
In the current Beta of the next Patch everything except Armor, Support, Engines and Defense-Modules is flat-tonnage.

Interesting news!

Support is pretty big category, what exactly are you lumping into that?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 23, 2013, 12:12:39 AM
@Autocthon: Hull weakness is used in the formula that calculates damage from defenses.

Damage=RawDamage*Defense/(Defense+Hullweakness)

Say you have 300 Defense.

With the new Hullweakness that means:

75% Damage-Reduce on Large

60% Damage-Reduce on Medium

50% Damage-Reduce on Small

@Antera:

Erm... I meant power-Modules when I said support-modules.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 23, 2013, 1:11:28 AM
Figured that's what it was. They really should actually explain this stuff in game.

Difficulty through obscurity everywhere.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 4:59:44 AM
Adding to what Autochthon has said, some of the lore rationale for %tonnage makes sense more or less, but it could be done better and the implementation seems rushed. The gameplay sense is more questionable. Obviously it is attractive to use a weight that varies by ship size for things like power that boosts damage, because otherwise that module is an auto-include and reduces the amount of shipbuilding decisions you have to make. If my +25% weapons power module is always a flat 20tons or whatever, every dreadnought will include that always because it's a negligible tonnage cost for a huge bonus.

What would make more sense from a gameplay perspective is to have a weight function of the form W = C + %. For example, a power module would be something like W = 15 + 10%. That way a +25%weapons module costs 1/4 of your space on a destroyer but only 1/8 of a battleship. This gives you some incentive for using larger ships.

If the shipbuilding system let you use previous tech levels, it could make ship design really interesting and allow you to balance modules better by giving them weight functions that increase with tech level. For example, the starting first power module could be W = 10 + 10% and grants +20% ship damage. The next level power module would be W = 20 + 5% and grants +25% ship damage. A later power module would be W = 10 + 20% and grants +5% fleet damage. This way, you have interesting choices for every type of ship, and your decisions would also be influenced by fleet composition. Not to mention what weapons you have available and the industry cost of all these things.

Some of the current % modules are just wrong though, like sensors. Why are those % based??!! They will never be used on larger ships! If it were a flat weight, maybe I could see adding sensors to large ships sometimes, especially if you could stack them for diminishing returns on accuracy boosts or something.

The W = C + % style of weight function would make more sense for the lore too. A larger ship should be able to carry more with relatively less space dedicated to the engine, power, armor, shields, etc. All those systems would have some minimum size, but doubling the engine output doesn't require an engine twice as large, since you have "overhead" for the engine itself and then something like fuel and cooling systems that would need to be proportionally larger but not, for example, the computer controlling the magnetic containment (or whatever). So a ship requiring 10x the engine output wouldn't have an engine 10x larger. Which means you can build big ships to carry lots of stuff, even though they are expensive to put together. Which is kind of the point of big ships.

tl;dr All the %modules should have a weight function similar to constant + % cost, so big ships can usefully include those modules, and shipbuilding should allow use of lower tech components. This would make ship/fleet design infinitely more interesting and strategic.
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 5:15:14 AM
That's a cynical answer TheFrozenOne, and isn't helpful.

As for things like power modules, it could be understood that to properly wire up a ship you need to use up a % of the ships total size.

But overall I agree that anything that needs a % of space on a ship could at least have a % based effect to compensate.

Fighter bays taking more space with no increase in effects is silly.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 2:41:04 AM
My complaints are all over this community. It just doesn't feel clean. I'm not use to having things left over. You can build a whole ship and still have some weight not used. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. lol
0Send private message
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 4:55:29 PM
Power, Engine, and Armor modules make sense to require % Size. A larger ship requires more tonnage to do use those modules. The problem is that the modules use a a constant % of space without being more effective on larger ships.

Hence Dreadnaughts sucking more and more.

Armor should grant more HP on larger ships.

Bomber/Fighter/Troop bays should have greater power (damage and invasion power) on larger ships.

As it is Larger ships cost 2/4 times the CP of smaller ships for a net LOSS in effective MP using them. On top of that Tonnage modules make the difference even smaller, and need to be refactored for larger ship sizes. For instance by making the a +% base tonnage modifier (multiplicative with tech tonnage passives)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 5:24:16 PM
Well fortunately defence and offence modules have no % tonnage, leaving the smaller ships to have more effective support roles and dreadnoughts to be the brawlers.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 6:10:35 PM
Autocthon wrote:
Power, Engine, and Armor modules make sense to require % Size. A larger ship requires more tonnage to do use those modules. The problem is that the modules use a a constant % of space without being more effective on larger ships.

Hence Dreadnaughts sucking more and more.

Armor should grant more HP on larger ships.

Bomber/Fighter/Troop bays should have greater power (damage and invasion power) on larger ships.

As it is Larger ships cost 2/4 times the CP of smaller ships for a net LOSS in effective MP using them. On top of that Tonnage modules make the difference even smaller, and need to be refactored for larger ship sizes. For instance by making the a +% base tonnage modifier (multiplicative with tech tonnage passives)

Not really. Size (LxWxH) determines what you can have inside any space. Weight should be the last thing you worry about when designing. I use to be a Civil Engineer until I went into CIT, and we use to design everything by dimensions first. You can always use lighter materials to help limit weight. Most engineers should know this and this is probably why 99% of games do not use a tonnage system to determine what you can fit inside a car, city, ship, boat, etc... It's like trying to reinvent the wheel man. There's a reason why car designers don't use weight to determine how fast their car can go. Ya sure, it's all cool and dandy we can design a limitless number of ships this way, but it's simply not practical.

Igncom1 wrote:
Well fortunately defence and offence modules have no % tonnage, leaving the smaller ships to have more effective support roles and dreadnoughts to be the brawlers.

Another reason why this whole tonnage system needs a reboot. You have one thing the standard and another thing not IMO. That's just half @$$ing it. It sounds like it started out as a great idea, but then after designing the game and actually understanding your own system, went to hell. If you change the % tonnage with weapons, then maybe you have to change the damage, and then you have to change the defense. It's a complete fraking nightmare for a game designer IMO. Which is why the tonnage system should have never been used. If you are going to do it, then do it right and fix everything so it's based on a % tonnage and worry about balancing later IMO. And we can all be honest here and agree, you can't really know what if something is imba until you test it.

Sometimes things take on a life of their own and you have to just let it go. I don't think you would loose more people than you would gain by rebooting the whole Module system.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 6:41:52 PM
Bad213Boy wrote:
Not really. Size (LxWxH) determines what you can have inside any space. Weight should be the last thing you worry about when designing. I use to be a Civil Engineer until I went into CIT, and we use to design everything by dimensions first. You can always use lighter materials to help limit weight. Most engineers should know this and this is probably why 99% of games do not use a tonnage system to determine what you can fit inside a car, city, ship, boat, etc... It's like trying to reinvent the wheel man. There's a reason why car designers don't use weight to determine how fast their car can go. Ya sure, it's all cool and dandy we can design a limitless number of ships this way, but it's simply not practical.
99%of games aren't simulating space travel. Weight is hyper expensive on ship. the fuel NASA uses in a year to launch their ships would bankrupt a small nation, and they're using the lightest materials we can.

Ships are not cars. They are not building. they must overcome gravitational forces, they need to be able to fly. That's why jet fuel is an order of magnitude more expensive than gasoline, it's that much harder to make. It's also why (military) planes are ridiculously compact, and why commercial flights are expensive.

There's a reason ships in the water are measured in tonnage. There are just some things you can't get around in terms of material.

Another reason why this whole tonnage system needs a reboot. You have one thing the standard and another thing not IMO. That's just half @$$ing it. It sounds like it started out as a great idea, but then after designing the game and actually understanding your own system, went to hell.

This is what I think happened. If you change tonnage % with the weapons, then maybe you have to change the damage, and then you have to change the defense. It's a complete fraking nightmare for a game designer IMO. Which is why the tonnage system should have never been used. If you are going to do it, then do it right and fix everything so it's based on a % tonnage and worry about balancing later IMO. And we can all be honest here and agree, you can't really know what if something is imba until you test it.

It makes sense for...

Engines to need % weight. Larger ship needs larger engine.

Drone Bays to need % weight. Larger ship would be able to have larger bays. Too bad devs didn't implement the logical thing.

Armor to be % weight. Larger ship has larger surface area, therefore requiring more armoring. However larger ships should get more out of the armor.

Repair Modules to need % weight. Larger ship requires more material to repair with.

Power modules use % weight because they offer % bonuses. They can be rationalized as requiring internal volume and tonnage.

What really needs to happen is that the % weight modules need to be BETTER. And they need to account for ship size.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 12, 2013, 11:48:58 PM
Autocthon wrote:
What really needs to happen is that the % weight modules need to be BETTER. And they need to account for ship size.

Agree totally.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 11, 2013, 2:43:20 AM
I am really starting to like the expansion, but there is one thing that I really don't get: The modules that have a percentage weight. I don't really like it, but more importantly, I don't understand the reasoning behind it or the explanation behind it.

For now, I am using Igncom's mod that removes %s, but I would be willing to give percent based weight a 2nd chance if someone can explain the rationale behind it in terms of both lore (why would a fighter bay weigh more for dreads than for destroyers?) and game mechanics (what purpose does this serve in the gameplay?)
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 6:56:54 AM
Are there some infos from the devs about this % weight nonsense for a future change?
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 2:45:56 PM
Removal of lower tech use on modules was a deliberate change to prevent abuse cases. If you think that abuse cases don;t matter for single player you probably don;t understand what an abuse case is.

If anything modules just need to be smarter about when you can build them.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 4:47:32 PM
Here's my take on % weight:

• Fighters, Bombers, Troops, Bombs: Makes no sense at all. It's not like they are any more effective on larger ships, and historically, size has been good for carriers.
  • Armor: I actually don't completely disagree with this one. If both defenses and armor were flat weight, Dreadnoughts would be crazy OP, far more than the advantage small ships have now. But perhaps making defenses % weight and HP flat weight (and flat HP---important!) would have made more sense.
  • Power, Engine, Repair: % weight is fine for single-ship effects, though Power modules don't do enough for their weight now. Though perhaps the fleet modules should be partially or fully flat weight since in that case the effect is independent of the ship size.
  • Scout: I agree with EatThePath, 50% weight is ridiculous for anything except the least CP possible. Should be 50 + 2% or something thereabouts.

0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 6:45:56 PM
Autocthon wrote:
99%of games aren't simulating space travel. Weight is hyper expensive on ship. the fuel NASA uses in a year to launch their ships would bankrupt a small nation, and they're using the lightest materials we can.

Ships are not cars. They are not building. they must overcome gravitational forces, they need to be able to fly. That's why jet fuel is an order of magnitude more expensive than gasoline, it's that much harder to make. It's also why (military) planes are ridiculously compact, and why commercial flights are expensive.

There's a reason ships in the water are measured in tonnage. There are just some things you can't get around in terms of material.

The ship and rocket size can be proportional. Increase one you increase the other as you said. Vessels are designed by shape first. Then they begin designing your propulsion system based on the size of the ship and materials at hand. Your boss is going to give you a design, it's your job to make it work with the best available resources you have. That's what engineers do, we solve problems like this. Your boss isn't going to care how much it weighs. If they want more power, you give them more power. Sure it might be cheaper to design an engine with steel, but if you use Titanium, you should be able to cut that size by 25%.

Another thing to think about. The most logical thing to do is to assemble and large space craft for military use from a space station, where everything is weightless.

I think we can probably agree that something just isn't right yet. lol
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 7:02:36 PM
Autocthon wrote:
Removal of lower tech use on modules was a deliberate change to prevent abuse cases. If you think that abuse cases don;t matter for single player you probably don;t understand what an abuse case is.

If anything modules just need to be smarter about when you can build them.

How could this be abused in the new system? The way defense works is a huge nerf to cheapo glass cannon swarms.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 7:58:44 PM
That's the point of the new system, you can't abuse exploitative cases. And since there aren't abusable exploits why would you ever need lower tier tech as an option?

The only thing currently wrong with the system is resource screw. Which could be fixed simply by smart assigning modules based on available resources.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 8:15:50 PM
Autocthon wrote:
That's the point of the new system, you can't abuse exploitative cases. And since there aren't abusable exploits why would you ever need lower tier tech as an option?

The only thing currently wrong with the system is resource screw. Which could be fixed simply by smart assigning modules based on available resources.

As I mentioned earlier in my post discussing power modules, it would make the ship/fleet design a lot deeper if you could use lower tier power modules even after you have researched new ones. For example, if you know you will be engaging in battles with heavy losses and your fleet CP cap isn't that high yet, it doesn't make sense to use +% Fleet Damage power modules because those only pay off with large numbers. For effectively trading off your industry against the enemy's, you want glass cannons that can get kills in small numbers and despite heavy losses, making investment in a fleet that's only effective when intact a poor choice. In this case you'd want to use your best +% Ship Damage power modules. Moreover, varying the weight functions and industry costs provides interesting choices regardless.

For another example: imagine you're in a tight game where your resources are stressed handling conflicts on all sides. One of your enemies has powerful ships but they can't produce them quickly. Another has endlessly arriving large fleets of mid-level ships. And in a back corner you have new settlements with low industry being attacked by pirates. All of these situations require different types of ships and fleets, and it'd be nice to be able to realize this variety to maximize the strategy in handling various situations instead of just always making the same "best possible" ships.
0Send private message
11 years ago
Jul 13, 2013, 9:06:09 PM
Except that the cost increase for Weapon/Defense modules is effectively negligible. For 5 Offense and three of each defense (not that you'd need that in reality) it amounts to roughly 450 industry between tier 1 and tier three. Between Tier one and tier two it's next to nothing. Even armor has very little difference between tiers.

You want to know the one that tier actually matters for industry? Power. Power modules are expensive as hell. In a situation like you've described (attack on three fronts by different types of enemy) bheing able to change your ship loadout to favor lower tier weapons and defenses would have very little effect on their cost unless you've somehow managed to get tier 3 weapons tech with fledgling colonies. And even then you can do just as well making the ships in your primary hub worlds.

In terms of making cheaper ships stripping out modules that aren't required (Repair/Engine/Tonnage/Power) will save much much more on industry than using lower tech weapons/defense modules.

The ONLY thing that needs to change is module availability and smart outfitting to compensate for available resources. Your fledgling colonies locked down and don;t have resources? They'll just use low tech modules until they get the resource back Don;t have the resource on your empire? Opening ship management won't let you update ships with tech you can't make. That neatly fixes current dissatisfaction in shipbuilding.

Oh and add two more tiers of weapons tech. All the other tech has 4 or 5 tiers why do weapons only have 3?
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment