Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

More realistic universe

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
May 21, 2014, 8:51:10 AM
Hi Guys,

What do you think about an new Option for creating a galaxy?

I think about an "realistic" galaxy with only very a few good world, the most of them have to be bare (how they are transleted in the english Version?) Worlds or gas-giants. Terran worlds has to be very very rarely, same with tundras, barren and jungle. Vulcanic, Ice and desert worlds common, but also not very much.

I mean, look at the Sol-System.

Merkur: Bare World

Venus: Barren/Desert or Bare

Earth: Yeah, think terran will be nice here smiley: biggrin

Mars: Desert or Bare

Jupiter: Gas

Saturn: Gas

Uranus: Gas

Neptun: Gas

Pluto: Bare

Same Thing with the temaratur: The next planet to the sun is an Ice-World, the furthest an desert? Ah, okay :S How this should be possible? With larger distance to the sun an planet have to be colder than the others!

And at least: The anomalies: I like them very much... but... I saw bare wolrds (--> without an atmosphere) with the anomaly "rich atmosphere". A bit Strange. Or Gas-Giants with Flore/Fauna as an anomaly. I don't know how this would be possbile, but, okay smiley: biggrin

All These Thing are - in my cause - very important for the atmosphere of the game. To feels my like a "real" space Explorer. And I think thats not a really hard Thing to fit in.

What do you think?

Greez

Vladec
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 21, 2014, 10:49:13 AM
Hi,

I agree in a point, an important thing is immersion in such sort of game, it's not so about "reality" or "realism" but about "believeable" and "coherent" universe. I don't mind if it is doable or realistic but I do mind if it seems not appropriate in this universe, in this backgroud.

In your example, you are based on a "terrian" vision, but we don't know what are the other systems look like. It could be more jungle or desert planet in an other system ?! I don't mind this because we could admit there is different kind of system, and it would make the game awful (imagine colonizing only bare worlds or gas planets in a system smiley: cry )

But I follow you when you're talking about anomalies. These anomalies are too randomly distributed, and so it makes unbelievable situations as you mentioned. It is just some work needed to break this aspect : beeing less random and more "believable" events and details that could add more immersion in the game.

Anyway it is just my opinion. Thank you for reading me.
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 21, 2014, 11:58:19 AM
Yeah, you're right: "imagine colonizing only bare worlds or gas planets in a System"

That's true, but what I want to say: Good planets are too common. I speak from big terran planets with also nice anomalies as an example. If there is a System with 2 barren, 1 ice, 1 Vulkan and a bare world I havn't any Problems, but I see alot that a System has 2 terran world, 1 jungle, and a what ever. That's too much.

You haven't the Feeling of "oh my god, this planet is like earth! Maybe there is another inteligent life?", just: "oh, another terran world, gives a lot of ressourceoutput, nice, and now lets go on...".

After all, you're last sentence is a very good summary: "It is just some work needed to break this aspect : beeing less random and more "believable" events and details that could add more immersion in the game."
0Send private message
10 years ago
May 24, 2014, 2:52:50 PM
If you had my luck with planets, you wouldn't feel this way. I seem to never get a Tier 1 planet in my sector!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jun 1, 2014, 3:50:55 PM
My best guess is that the planet spawning algorithm doe not take into account limitations for realism. Eg, a barren world should not have rich atmosphere, or tree of wonders. In theory, the prwg (pseudo-random world generator) could be edited to limit wonders and anomalies to 'logical' planets.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jun 1, 2014, 4:00:59 PM
Yes, that's exactly what we are saying. I don't know if it's possible to change this "prwg" as you call it (hard to pronounce btw) to make wonders and anomalies more realistic.

I think it could bring more good feelings in playing the game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment