Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Dangers of Space Travel in Game Play

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Aug 24, 2014, 4:32:36 PM
Hey guys,

Wouldn't it be cool to add some random environmental effects in different areas of the vacuum (not on systems) on the map to create diversity in strategy?

1. High radiation area: Need to research extra-radiation protection to travel across, or hero is injured and -50% in troops.

2. Black holes: Need to research gravity-bubble to travel through cosmic strings near black holes, or lose half of ships in fleet.

3. Debris: Need to research stronger armor or debris-clearing lasers to get across, or -50% fleet hp.

4. Solar wind (changes direction every few turns, and is indicated on maps with arrow signs): With the right technology, can greatly boost fleet speed in the direction of the wind. Without the tech, travel speed in the opposite direction is reduced by 50%.

These factors would affect how empires interacts with each other and wars are waged.

For example, empires with stronger military power wouldn't necessarily be able to invade a weaker empire easily because of these natural obstacles.

On the other hand, big empires can take advantage of these to better defend their ever-increasing border.

Vaulters would be able to avoid these once they build portals.

-Foxx
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 24, 2014, 4:35:33 PM
You'd need to mod that in. I think that anything that Amplitude releases for ES Complete would be bug patching, balancing, and maybe a couple of tiny things that we can all agree on (i.e. AI retreat behavior).
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 24, 2014, 6:20:05 PM
DesertFoxx wrote:
Hey guys,

Wouldn't it be cool to add some random environmental effects in different areas of the vacuum (not on systems) on the map to create diversity in strategy?

1. High radiation area: Need to research extra-radiation protection to travel across, or hero is injured and -50% in troops.

2. Black holes: Need to research gravity-bubble to travel through cosmic strings near black holes, or lose half of ships in fleet.

3. Debris: Need to research stronger armor or debris-clearing lasers to get across, or -50% fleet hp.

4. Solar wind (changes direction every few turns, and is indicated on maps with arrow signs): With the right technology, can greatly boost fleet speed in the direction of the wind. Without the tech, travel speed in the opposite direction is reduced by 50%.

These factors would affect how empires interacts with each other and wars are waged.

For example, empires with stronger military power wouldn't necessarily be able to invade a weaker empire easily because of these natural obstacles.

On the other hand, big empires can take advantage of these to better defend their ever-increasing border.

Vaulters would be able to avoid these once they build portals.

-Foxx

I like these ideas smiley: smile

I will think about modding them !
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 24, 2014, 6:30:28 PM
Kingsguard wrote:
I like these ideas smiley: smile

I will think about modding them !

Sweet! I will look forward to it!
0Send private message
10 years ago
Aug 26, 2014, 11:41:40 AM
as a pre suggestion I d think it d be best to use small random % for anything to happen. As most/all situations would be negative and/or crippling you dont want them to happen too often. That way deep space travel would remain a treasured strategic option while making its use a weighted decision.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Sep 2, 2014, 11:39:17 PM
That's a good point. I am not sure if Amplitude will introduce any big changes at this point, so this could be in ES2.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment