Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Endless Space VS. Endless Legend

Copied to clipboard!
10 years ago
Jan 13, 2015, 2:17:58 PM
Since I already own Endless Legend, will it be a little bit of overspending if I get Endless Space as well?

They are both exactly the same type of 4X gaming genre and even a few races are similar. Does anyone here who own both games have any free comments to provide on this comparison?

I am not rich, and therefore hope to know if it is REALLY worth getting. Obviously getting Endless Space is certainly better than not getting it. The question is: Is that extra cash worth it? I already have Endless Legend!
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 14, 2015, 6:40:58 PM
The consensus is that Endless Space was a serviceable 4x game with a good interface and decent gameplay. People are divided on the combat system. (For what I played, I liked the combat.) What many disliked about Endless Space was the very thing that makes the short list of reasons they loved Endless Legend: faction differentiation. Endless Space factions were differentiated by bonuses to this or that ability, but felt bland and lacking personality for many. You know that the factions differences and depictions in Endless Legend have a major effect on gameplay and have tremendous personality.

My experience was that I got Endless Space first bcs. I figured I liked the sci fi/tech universe better than what appeared to me at first like the purely fantasy setting of Endless Legend. I enjoyed Endless Space. It warmed me to Amplitude, and with what I heard about Endless Legend, I bought it within a month of getting Endless Space and I kinda fell for Endless Legend. In short, Endless Space is a really good game. Endless Legend is a great game.

One reason to get ES is to see what they are doing with the lore btwn the games. The lore is big for some, and it is cool how much thought they've put into it, but maybe that's not your bag. Here is a lore link: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/...2-The-Universe I am glad I have both...I'll say that.

One idea would be to do a bit more research, looking at ES and other strategy games around the web. Here is a resource for games bargain hunting: http://isthereanydeal.com/
0Send private message
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 15, 2015, 3:52:03 PM
Endless Space is a very capable game that is built very well. I would call it solid with few bells and whistles. I was very impressed with it, and its the only reason I bought EL over AOW3.

Endless Legend is a much more significant project. It has a potential to be a lot better then Endless Space (or any other 4x).... but with bugs/crashes/AI it is not there yet.

If you play EL and then go to ES, you might find it kinda bland. Gameplay etc is pretty similar. Instead of cities you have solar systems. Instead of units you have ships. That kind of thing. If you like space games, it is worth getting.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 17, 2015, 3:30:25 PM
They are very similar and very diffrent at the same time. Endless Legends are like Masters of Magic while Endless Space is like Master of Orion smiley: stickouttongue
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 18, 2015, 9:34:04 AM
Lore and RP is what shipped Endless space for me. I played EL first at a friend's place, I bought DotE on a whim not realizing it had any connection with amplitude or EL, I ended up buying ES because DotE gave me a coupon and a sale was happening. I didn't play ES until I bought EL a few months later, ES is a pretty capable space 4x, I really enjoyed Amplitude's faction writing gave it a try and didn't regret it.

Personally it feels like a good space 4x lite; I have come from playing really big 4x games such as DW:U with mods and SoSE. My only issue is a sound bug which has to make me switch my audio frequency between games, 44100hz for ES and then 48000hz for EL. Which I hope they fix.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 18, 2015, 10:17:17 AM
Wanderer999 wrote:
Since I already own Endless Legend, will it be a little bit of overspending if I get Endless Space as well?

They are both exactly the same type of 4X gaming genre and even a few races are similar. Does anyone here who own both games have any free comments to provide on this comparison?

I am not rich, and therefore hope to know if it is REALLY worth getting. Obviously getting Endless Space is certainly better than not getting it. The question is: Is that extra cash worth it? I already have Endless Legend!

Though EL is muuuch better than ES, its still an awesome strategy game, even If I couldnt enjoy it before I made my mod because the factions felt really bland ^^
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 19, 2015, 11:22:25 AM
If you enjoy watching fleets of spaceships pelting each other with broadsides of exotic Particles* -> get Endless Space.

If you want another decent 4X game with neat Artwork+Graphics -> get Endless Space.

If you are crazy about the Endless lore(Capital E!) -> get Endless Space.

If you see it in Steamsale for 5 $ or € -> get Endless Space

otherwise skip it^^

I would not say that Endless Legend makes Endless Space obsolete, sure they share a lot of concepts but so do other 4X games. Also 50% of the Forum Population probably have them 50% coupons. So incase you didn't get one, just ask anyone here(including myself).

*Also if you like glaring at slowly rotating planets.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 19, 2015, 4:53:05 PM
I played Endless Legend about an hour before moving onto something else. I'm sure I'll come back to it, and I'm not disputing it's a really good game.

On the other hand, I have played over a thousand hours of Endless Space. It's strong suit is its playability. There are 4x space games that have more detailed features in certain areas--or even in all areas--but they aren't as fun or as playable as ES.

One thing that ES does better than any other game is the ability to make custom races. It's what has kept the game fresh for me.
0Send private message
10 years ago
Jan 21, 2015, 9:55:59 AM
hi!

Endless space : best strategic 4X

ES is a solid 4X. Very robust with the extension, he fills his role elegantly (IA, disign ...). High quality. Its weakness is its immertion gifts and quality of exploration. This is an excellent strategy game. ....

In its implementation, it is for me better than endless legend for one reason: the fighting.

Let me explain. The mechanics of combat in ES is clean, not messy, and simulates a pretty good spacial combat (debate), but also fits very well with the weapon system and defense of ships. It is mathematically pretty. It remains in the contenplatif, but space is an excellent vector for that:-p. In addition, it allows for reliable automatic fighting. This is important. On the construction of unit, ES can actually make our customized fleet in Continium possibility on the simple but effective principle of combinatorics (combine 2/3 types of litter, with 3 weapon types, 3 types of defense + supplementary module)

For exemple : in Endless legend : a unit template can use than 1 weapon types : (with 2hand version and 1hand version). The template system isn't good exploited.

Endless legend : best immertion.

Endless legend is not a 4X standard, but a 4X that wants exotic. The immertion is much better, the story of faction / side quest quest is excelente ... In short, endless legend ES outperforms its weakness: the exploration and immertion. I would say that it is superior to the same point on the other quality game like age of wonders 3 I also love. This is the problem of combinatorial system (more strategic) that easily removes the side "unknown" exotic ... needed for "X" to exploration.

If you want a good strategy 4X with the challenge, Endless space seems to be the best in the series. For pure entertainment, Endless legend may be more appropriate.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment