Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Strategic resource: neutronium mining

Copied to clipboard!
13 years ago
Apr 3, 2012, 6:13:21 PM
To my understanding of the game with respect to strategic resources, is it much like CIV3? That is, where specific technologies depend on access to a particular resource (e.g. saltpeter needed for musketeers).

If so, I have an idea for a late-game strategic resource. Assuming that there are pulsars or neutron stars in the game, an idea for an advanced tech could be "neutronium orbital mining platform." (NOMP) Using powerful, focused tractor beams, the mining platform syphons off neutronium and exotic matter for industrial and technological use. The neutronium is a necessity for specific types of advanced weapons, armour, engines, industrial and other tech.

Naturally, the NOMP requires several advanced requisite techs, including advanced magnetism, advanced orbital structures, gravity and tractor beam research, particle research, etc...
0Send private message
13 years ago
Apr 3, 2012, 6:23:40 PM
I hope some strategic resources will open new strategic options, not just "new units" or "better units". For instance a strategic resource that would used the Dust as mini wormholes, thus allowing you to travel to space sectors that would be unreachable.

Or a strategic resource that allows you to add a "pirate" module that would tag your ship as neutral.

Or a strategic resource that woudl allow your race to switch to another race (in X turns and after that the strategic resource is destroyed)
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 1:32:43 AM
I like the idea of Mining in all Space games, I do not see why a lot space devs make it not to be this way.

In our real future of space travel, mining will play a major battle of survival and development in space and therefore should not be passed away. Space game developers either put it down as a simple task to do or not have it at all, it should one of major things that is achieved in a space game.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 7, 2012, 3:44:44 AM
Just a few stuff uses them, like in Civ5. A few modules, some buildings, and such.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment