Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Wonders and unique constructs

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 7:41:17 PM
There's already a suite of end-game improvements, such as the Endless temples and things. But they are ultimately just a win counter, and functional only to the lategame/conclusion. I think it would be really interesting to have analogues for Civlizations' wonders. Unique buildings and constructs of which there can only be one in the whole galaxy, regardless of faction.

I mean, you can rattle off in your own head all the various science fiction things that would be interesting to build and have functional gameplay bonuses. More than a planet improvement, a huge investment of resources for a permanent, empire wide boost while also providing local, system wide improvements. Because at the moment, there is not concentrating factor other than strategic resources. In the game, when you attack an opponent, if you don't simply encroach from the borders, you go for the systems with the most planets, the biggest populations, the most amount of resources. But what if they had wonders that incentivized this decision and created a pot of gold invasion. Furthermore, for the defender, choosing what wonder to build, and where, would be high level strategic decisions. It would provide shape and structure to your empires, which in their current iteration are essentially sprawl. You spread out as much as you can to everywhere, choosing only when and not where to go.

Here's a few quick examples I thought of, I'm sure other people can think of much better ones.

Something like a solar array around a star. It would provide a science boost for the system it is build in, based on the star type (larger boost for hotter, brighter stars, less of a bonus for smaller, cooler ones.) It would also give a food bonus across every system. Something tangible but not game breaking. Like +1%. It would also be visible in the system view, a large gleaming array of panels a thousand miles wide, gently orbiting the star out of focus in the background.

Perhaps a space elevator, or orbital ring. A vast space station that encircles a planet. It would allow for larger fleet sizes across the empire, using it as a space dock. Maybe +4 command points once built. It could also house more population for the planet it is built around, and upgraded like a planet exploitation.

I think the game is balanced nicely, and has enough depth that I'm perfectly happy. But more unique things are needed to define civilizations and empires during the game. All of the planet upgrades, all of the system improvements and exploitations have nice descriptions and icons, but at ultimately a percentage or flat rate stats boost. Another percentage point here, another +20 whatever there. In a larger sense, they add strategic and tactical depth, but there needs to be focal points. There needs to be extremely valuable prizes to be won to tempt invasion and to bolster defense.

Wonders work so well in Civ, and are such an integral part of the tone of the game, because they are the peaks of the high points. They are the gold standard for construction. They make you feel satisfied when you get them built, and make you feel more personally connected to your cities and civilization as a whole. It's like putting your own mark on the game. They're also a gamble. You want to build one, but someone else might beat you to them. And while you're building one, you're not improving other aspects of your city. So it's a trade-off. High risk, but high reward. It can be crushing to just miss out on building a wonder by one turn, but also amazingly fun to get one finished just in time and unleash its bonuses on your enemies.

I don't think you'd need many. Civ has dozens but they define the technology eras in that game. Maybe ten or twelve here would work well. Their counterparts in Sins of A Solar Empire - Artifacts - work in functionally the same way. But that game is realtime and highly different, so I'm talking only in the broadest sense.

Thematically, they are also a huge opportunity to impart Endless lore into the game and also allow some of the lesser technologies that have a hard time finding a place in the tech tree to shine. At the moment, I have a favourite selection of technologies and a clear path through to the optimal build. But if wonders were spread out, accompanying some of the more barebones technologies that perhaps act only as tree-filler, well that would make your route through the tech tree really fun, as well as strategically important.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 8:09:00 PM
While im not so sure about some of these, i feel as is a improvemnet that would allow dreadnaughts to built in a system might be a good idea, and would excentuate their powerful nature, and would preven the silly idea that a small colony can build the empires biggest ship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 9:03:19 PM
Factions specific special structures/monuments/wonders would be a cool addition along with any available to all at certain Tech levels/Tech unlocks. smiley: approval
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 31, 2012, 10:16:58 PM
Igncom1 wrote:
While im not so sure about some of these, i feel as is a improvemnet that would allow dreadnaughts to built in a system might be a good idea, and would excentuate their powerful nature, and would preven the silly idea that a small colony can build the empires biggest ship.

I was just spitballing examples. I haven't considered specific bonuses or anything, just the highest abstraction of the idea.

Some of the higher tier system improvements do function similar to wonders. They're very powerful and have huge bonuses. Siphoning them off to be unique could balance a few things and remove some of the lategame improvement grind.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment