Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Ship factories orbiting planet

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 2:37:33 PM
So an idea would be cool where there is a ship factory requirement before you can build military vessels. It would also give a bonus in production when building ships like 15%- 25%. Also after you build it you have a ship foundry orbit the planet, and when you have a ship being built there are people zooming about putting your ship together, with other aesthetics.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 5:24:22 PM
Perhaps this should be necessary for every "big" ship which is able to travel between the stars.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 5:58:02 PM
Moved to the proposals section.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 6:28:44 PM
Needing to have orbital shipyards in place would be good to restrict your (and other empires) building capacity to certain systems.

So that you wouldn't be able to build Dreadnoughts in just any old system, it would need a massive orbital construction facility to do so.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 4, 2012, 7:50:17 PM
Social-Pariah wrote:
Needing to have orbital shipyards in place would be good to restrict your (and other empires) building capacity to certain systems.

So that you wouldn't be able to build Dreadnoughts in just any old system, it would need a massive orbital construction facility to do so.

Precisely but it would be nice to make it so every ship, other then corvettes and destroyers since their tonnage is so low, require the factory. I mean they're military ships. Not every system in a real space empire will have the capacity to build ships. Not too mention its kinda inefficient to not build ships in zero G environment. The energy necessary to get ships of planet would be large compared to just driving out of a zero G dock.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 3:31:43 PM
cirving4444 wrote:
Not too mention its kinda inefficient to not build ships in zero G environment. The energy necessary to get ships of planet would be large compared to just driving out of a zero G dock.

Absolutely, makes sense to have orbital docks in which large ships are assembled. Also, there should be a distinction made between civilian type ships like colony ships and, for example, capital shis like dreadnoughts...
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:37:17 PM
We had a similar thread about 2 or 3 days ago here: /#/endless-space/forum/28-game-design/thread/11735-suggestion-shipyards

I am no mod and have no idea how to proceed with these two threads, so I am just going to quote my response in that thread:

Flipp wrote:
I am a little unsure about Shipyards as such. While it certainly adds some flavor to the game, I feel that it would be a little boring to just have to build another building before you are able to build a certain ship type. Maybe make them give a bonus to the building of that ship type and make that bonus stack, with the building having no limit? So the first "Destroyer-Warft" allows you to build Destroyers, every additional one gets you a bonus of 5% Industry while building Destroyers (the number is obviously arbitrary).

That concept could be refined by either increasing the cost of the "next" shipyard based on how many you have build in the system already (after building 10 "Destroyer-Warft"s, the next one costs twice as much Industry to build) or by limiting either the number of shipyards per system or even per type per system (say you can build 10 Destroyer, 5 Cruiser, 1 Battleship Warft per system). Just not a simple building "Build A so you can build Ship s" where A has no other effect than allowing to build a ship.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 5, 2012, 8:50:08 PM
if anyone remember a really old game named ascendency in this game you were not able to build ship until you have an orbiting spaceport.

actually the amount of energy needed to counter the gravitation of a planet make it worthless to build ship on ground (even a small one) to send it to space unless you have a planetary space Elevator witch could be a less expansive way than building a spaceport .

actually having both could be cool space elevator (cheap) allow you to build ship on hearth and spaceport (expansive) give you an additional production queue only for building ship leaving system queue for other purpose.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment