Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Research quotes & Pop-Ups

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 8:33:51 PM
After playing while I often recognized that I forgot choosing a research for a new technology. Of course it's just my own fault but I would appreciate a Pop-Up showing the new tech I unveiled. Maybe with some blurbs. I know that this feature is from the Civ-Series but i liked it, especially the quotes of Alpha Centauri for being so critical and controversial.

In this context seems an implementaion of some kind of secret projects (known from AC as well) mentionable.

Because I don't know how many played AC, I post 2 links with videos of the Secret Projects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 8:36:40 PM
If I remember right, it does leave an indicator on the lower right of the screen that a research has been completed. then if you click on that, a window pops up that should show it, i think. dangit, i can't remember for certain, but i do know that the indicator does appear above the 'end turn' button. is that what you meant? if not, sorry. haha. not really a pop up on it's own, but it's there, sorta.

also, research quotes would be cool, but i don't know if the developers can work it in. if they could, that'd be awesome. i hope they are able to. smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 8:48:36 PM
Not enough pop up for me. I think I'm to fast sometimes (Multiplayer TBS you has to be). And I very often overlook it because all little symbols got the same color. I think it would be an idea giving different events different colors or at least more important events a special one (research, hero level-up, last production of a queue finished). It would make it a much easier to manage a larger empire.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 5, 2012, 10:10:59 PM
There's a message that appears every turn that you complete a tech. It tells about the tech completed, and the next one going to be researched, or it says Nothing is next if that was the last one you had queued up.

Also, the count down timer at the upper left tells how many turns remain until research completion.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 8:10:16 AM
Even if I don't feel the need of pop up to remember I have research choice to do, I must admitt they are really cool in other games and I would love to have it in ES smiley: smile
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 8:49:54 AM
That happened to me a couple of times too...

However, I like the way the interface of ES is inobtrusive, so I think a pop-up would be too much. The research button migh blink / change color when you are not researching anything though.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 10:13:07 AM
Kamshin wrote:
That happened to me a couple of times too...

However, I like the way the interface of ES is inobtrusive, so I think a pop-up would be too much.

I agree with this; there have been games that spam every turn with a long series of messages, and it's annoying. I much prefer ES's bubble reminder system.
0Send private message
12 years ago
May 6, 2012, 1:15:13 PM
research quotes would be great! but they would need much good work and creativity to be meaningfull ... i mean, if you take Alpha Centauri as a reference: they were deeply thought throu comments of the distinguishable faction leaders. who did become personalitys for the player and an such gave much flavour to the game. half-thought-trough quotes of race X nobodys would not bring the desired effect to ES i think.

aside from this:

right now i feel that the technology is not made important enough anyway. you research a tech and if i did a research que i perhaps dont even care because one more building of category X is not something i need to build asap anywhere. it will get into the build ques soon enough when a planet stops producing old buildings ...

so technology should first of all become more meaningfull as a whole, then we can do the cosmetics.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 7:21:46 PM
This thread is the origin of discussions about improving research popups.

Other threads about this have been archived:

/#/endless-space/forum/29-archives/thread/13452-suggestion-research-presentation

Feel free to post here about this topic here and inform yourself about the variations the threads listed above have already discussed, but don't open new suggestion threads for anything alike. smiley: wink
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment