Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] [UI] Revert some changes of star system info on galaxy map done @ Beta

Remove the borders
Replace black background with player color background
Align planets centered (without wavy pattern) instead of left
None, keep the Civ-Copied design
Vote now
Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 1:10:03 PM
I have a comsetic request on the star system info we see at the galaxy map: Revert the visual style of the beta back to the style of the alpha. Here come the details:

- the new borders around the info are extremely ugly imo - please remove them

- the black background color is irritating as it is the same for all players - I liked the player color for background more: Please restore it

- displaying the planets of a star system left aligned leaves the impression, that only star systems with six planets are complete. The centered alignment was better imo

I thought a lot about how to write this in a neutral way, as the changes had a great emotional impact on me. Therefore, I add the not so neutral things for the case, that other users have had the same experience.

When I started the beta and looked at it's galaxy map for the first time, I felt like being shocked of changing an extremely beautiful display to an ugly copy of another game (Civ). The impact was so strong, that I even thought of putting the game to my personal digital graveyard and never ever looking at it again. Changing the screen you have to look at 90% of the in-game time to something extremely ugly, expecially as it felt perfect before, was something that really depressed me. I decided to not let my emotions destroy everything good I liked of ES and which hasn't been destroyed and suppressed the wish to immediately login and yell at the responsible people. After all, this is software and design descisions are always taken for good reasons.

After playing several hours I got used to the (still visually extremely ugly) changes and am able to point out exactly what I don't like. I can also see that the reason for some changes was giving the players more information for enhancing gameplay. Nevertheless, I really really do want some things to be changed back to the more beautiful visuals, so I write this partly chaotic post.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 2:13:50 PM
Oh boy, you are taking this seriously, that's for sure.

Interface in the game is still simple, non-intrusive. And it is fast, really fast. I like that (long live qt!). It also help you to make decisions faster, what is important when you are playing on-line. But, back to main topic:

Well, i disagree with almost everything you've written.

I hardly notice those borders, i really like how planets and their resources are shown (more info on map!) and i have totally no idea to what background color you are reffering to. For me those changes were superficial, really minimal. Hell, i just like UI in its current form. And I played all Civs that were ever released and hardly can find connections between theirs UI and ES one.

Also, they have now better things to spend manpower on, IMO.

But i understand that not everyone have to be in favour of interface as it is now. Hopefully in future we'll have a possibility to modify it and share in form of mods.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 9, 2012, 6:24:51 PM
Yeah, I know, it's silly - but I can't help it ...

Solving this with a mod would be fine with me.

Btw., the "ships in hangar" and "improvement currently being built" information are useless for the space they consume on the galaxy map. And these make it look like Civ imo. I know, there is not much room for creativity when you want to display this information and I did not take them into account for my poll because I suppose that I'm the only guy in this forum who thinks like that (at least it's additional info and that's usually a good thing).

So don't be bothered if you read this and disagree - this post will age out of the forum if nobody else cares. That's democracy and I can image a lot of things being worse than that.
0Send private message
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment