Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

[Suggestion] Customizable Tech Tree (e.g. removing WD-tech)

Copied to clipboard!
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:50:26 AM
Hello, brand spanking new here. I've read the FAQ and searched the forum but can`t find a relevant thread on this.

I would like to play a game without Warp Drive, just string and wormhole movement. I have nothing against Warp Drive, but would like to play different styles, like chokepoints strategy vs free movement.

Also, would it be possible to customize the tech tree? I'd like to be able to assign a tech automatically to everyone (such as Warp Drive), or have it have other prerequisites.

On a side note, whenever I see "must have techs" (you guessed it, like Warp Drive) I become concerned about balance and would like to tweak the tree.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 9:15:57 AM
Bear in mind that the early warp drive tech makes your ships move so slowly that it's not an extremely viable method of attacking anyway. You have plenty of time to respond and move ships in to counter the attack.

[Dislaimer:Thoughhavingamuchbetterindicationofincomingfleets,muchlikeMoo2did,wouldbeextremelybeneficialinthisregard.]
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 9:26:52 AM
It ends up being as fast as normal travel though - I've often had ships ignore nodelines in the endgame entirely to fly around.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 11:48:02 AM
agreed mansen.

Warp drive is an excellent idea, a little too powerfull, but I don't want it to disapear.

why not limitating it ? with a limit in number of turn out of roads... or fleet taking damage each turn passed out of a road ?

Warp link and wormhole are safe, traveling outside these secured road could be dangerous (so taking damages) or simply impossible (so make your way in one turn)

note that i said "fleet takes damage" not "fleet is destroyed" ^^ I don't have idea about the amount of damages...
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:35:02 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have asked two questions at once smiley: smile

Granted, Warp Drive itself is just another play style, and I don't want to belabor that point. But it did trigger the need for me to be able to customize the tech tree, or at least be able to swap techs around if the tree layout is static. That way I can try out different styles of play.

What thoughts have been give to moddability? For example an "override" folder where you put resources (graphics, xml/ini/configuration files) and the game checks that first before loading the default ones? That way the tech tree definition, AI, ship types, etc. could be modded.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 1:41:38 PM
"The game will be extensively moddable" - Says the start menu mods option and modding forum, probably.

That's my take on it anyway. I think there will be plenty of mods for this. Plenty, and it won't be too difficult to make it yourself I'd imagine.
0Send private message
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 3:35:41 PM
I've gotten used to Warp Drive but I agree, it would be fun to have the option to play without it. Being able to toggle on/off certain techs (or tech types) would be pretty fun.

Hard to imagine how the AI would be able to intelligently accommodate such changes, tho, since they were probably programmed with warp drive in mind.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 7, 2012, 6:04:37 PM
pdxsean wrote:
I've gotten used to Warp Drive but I agree, it would be fun to have the option to play without it. Being able to toggle on/off certain techs (or tech types) would be pretty fun.

Hard to imagine how the AI would be able to intelligently accommodate such changes, tho, since they were probably programmed with warp drive in mind.

AFAIK, pathing takes into consideration Warp Drive if it is available. I saw a configuration file for tech preferences for each race, but it seems based on type (e.g. "Military", "Food") rather that specific techs. I think it randomly picks a tech according to its weighted preferences, and when it hits Warp Drive, the pathing takes care of the rest.
0Send private message
12 years ago
Jun 11, 2012, 2:56:41 PM
Renamed title and interpreted your warp drive-essay as an example. It's still the same mechanic, no matter how you look at it: Be able to remove/unlock techs from the techtree for all players when starting a new game.
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment